NV4500 to HF2AV Open Source Adapter Plans (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did anybody convert the adapter pdf to a electronic file for a machinist cad,dxf etc.. My machinist want a bunch extra to write the plans but said if I had a file would be cheap.Allready got 4bt installed, got a 2wd nv4500, just need adapter and mainshaft work.

Thanks

Sooooooooo looks like I'm jumping into this. I have a machine with some downtime and I had a customer ask about this. I could make these fairly easily but I would just need someone to help with the pocketing needed on that file. I already have the file ready to start cutting but if I do I will need someone who can/will confirm fitment and do any redlining as needed to get this to be a perfect fit. Then I can take that and do a new file and cut a batch. Who has these components ready to go to test an adapter plate and has the ability to articulate changes needed?

Sooooooooo looks like I'm jumping into this. I have a machine with some downtime and I had a customer ask about this. I could make these fairly easily but I would just need someone to help with the pocketing needed on that file. I already have the file ready to start cutting but if I do I will need someone who can/will confirm fitment and do any redlining as needed to get this to be a perfect fit. Then I can take that and do a new file and cut a batch. Who has these components ready to go to test an adapter plate and has the ability to articulate changes needed?
I still need one cut. I also have a spare HF2A front half along with the NV4500 tail housing that I would be willing to send your way if needed. I’m still months off before needing to use them.

I have a spare HF2AV, but my NV4500 is in my truck.

One thing that would be really good and an improvement would be a bolt on solution for mounting the HF2AV shifter which is normally bolted to the top of the auto trans. All of us that have done this conversion have had to figure that part out on our own. But a wits' end bolt on solution would be welcomed.

Ok, here are a few questions I had. I need the boss diameter, is the 12mm dowel slip or press fit , can the .750" tickness be .650". Also do you have the Toyota seal part number so I can order and measure/test fit?

Also, I had an idea to help minimize time and cost. Once I have a model I could laser the part onto a thin anodized aluminum sheet and cut it out. Then someone could mark it or cut where the clearancing is needed.

Then I could update the model and machine the first prototype.

Ok, here are a few questions I had. I need the boss diameter, is the 12mm dowel slip or press fit , can the .750" tickness be .650". Also do you have the Toyota seal part number so I can order and measure/test fit?

Also, I had an idea to help minimize time and cost. Once I have a model I could laser the part onto a thin anodized aluminum sheet and cut it out. Then someone could mark it or cut where the clearancing is needed.

View attachment 1899438
Seal part number = 90311-48016
My thread with image of adapter/seal

I believe the plate could be slimmed down to .65", it would just mean that the 2WD mainshaft would need to be cut down an additional .10" before cutting the Toyota spline pattern. One thing that may need to be checked is thread depth...for the factory xfer to trans bolts...is the .10" of extra material needed in order to not bottom out into the NV4500.

I have a spare HF2AV, but my NV4500 is in my truck.

One thing that would be really good and an improvement would be a bolt on solution for mounting the HF2AV shifter which is normally bolted to the top of the auto trans. All of us that have done this conversion have had to figure that part out on our own. But a wits' end bolt on solution would be welcomed.

Well I have no plans on getting spares of these so I would have to reverse engineer someone else’s hard work :hmm:

Seal part number = 90311-48016
My thread with image of adapter/seal

I believe the plate could be slimmed down to .65", it would just mean that the 2WD mainshaft would need to be cut down an additional .10" before cutting the Toyota spline pattern. One thing that may need to be checked is thread depth...for the factory xfer to trans bolts...is the .10" of extra material needed in order to not bottom out into the NV4500.

Ordered and incoming

View attachment 1899438
The dowels on the plate are press fit. The photos below are the back of the A343F where it mates to transfercase.

A67D0DDF-1917-46AF-930B-4E407B684BD1.jpeg

0528B5AA-FF88-429B-9BB0-3AFFFB893A99.jpeg

C69C5763-20C9-48C9-998E-CB1A983352F6.jpeg

8C296306-2F86-4FDE-A75E-D7AAA1594C64.jpeg

The other transmission is an A650E, it looks TINY next to A343F. The main body is the same size, but bellhousing, tailhousings, and pans are all bigger on 1FZ A343F, input shaft is longer for deeper 1FZ bell (but same spline as A650E), A343F 19 spline output shaft is much larger in diameter (about same diameter as 32 spline GM transmission output).

I can throw the tail housing in the mail tomorrow if you want.

I have ideas on how to make this modular and work for both styles of HF2AV shifter mounting pattern along with user selected positioning of the xfercase shifter. Lets discuss.

There are a few ways to go about this, but the 1st step is to make a flat base plate/frame on top of the NV4500. There are several threaded bolt holes on the NV4500 that can be used to attach this plate to.

Once that flat platform is in place, a single piece of flat plate with 2 sets of threaded holes for the 2 versions of HF2AV shifter pattern (8 holes for shifter mounting) can be bolted on top of the frame. The key to making it modular and adaptable for shifter positioning is to have the plate mounting holes in both frame and mounting plate elongated a few inches in opposite directions (N-S) on frame and (E-W) on mounting plate. This will allow the top plate to be moved where ever (within a few inches) the user wants the shifter to pop up into the cab. This is important because everyone uses different shifter boot setups.

Here are some pics of my ghetto fab mount to get some ideas.

I pick up my NV4500 this afternoon from the rebuilder so I can get a measurement of modified main shaft sticking out the back if needed. My adapter test piece is still a piece of MDF cut to .750 thickness.

Is anyone else planning to have their main shaft modified by Dutchmen Motorsports in Idaho soon? I need to get mine done asap I'm planning to call them tomorrow - maybe we can get a better price with multiple works orders? Cheers to all the swaps getting it done!

Would you want to make that call tomorrow? Since I can only contribute one to the order you might have better luck negotiating with whatever you know you're willing to add 👍 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom