NV4500 to HF2AV Open Source Adapter Plans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd rather not fabricate parts if I don't have to. What did you guys use for the transfer case lever? Also, have most of you just used the 3x2 square tubing for mounting the transmission? Did you use the stock NV4500 mount?

bookmarking this.

Would keeping the Dodge NV4500 output shaft and fabbing a new input gear for the HF2AV work? It would be easier for me to year down my t-case in lieu of my transmission.

Would keeping the Dodge NV4500 output shaft and fabbing a new input gear for the HF2AV work? It would be easier for me to year down my t-case in lieu of my transmission.
Fabricating a new gear from scratch is far more work and cost, plus the 4wd output shaft of the NV4500 wouldn’t be long enough to account for the adapter plate needed to bolt the trans and xfer case together. Rebuilding an NV4500 is actually really straight forward.

Fabricating a new gear from scratch is far more work and cost, plus the 4wd output shaft of the NV4500 wouldn’t be long enough to account for the adapter plate needed to bolt the trans and xfer case together. Rebuilding an NV4500 is actually really straight forward.
Thank you for the quick reply! I have a newly rebuilt nv4500. I have a simple press from Harbor freight. How much time do you think it will take to swap the shafts?

Thank you for the quick reply! I have a newly rebuilt nv4500. I have a simple press from Harbor freight. How much time do you think it will take to swap the shafts?
get yourself an NV4500 rebuild manual...about $50 and follow step by step. when i did mine it took the better part of a day...but i took about 400 pictures along the way for reference.

Witsend is currently out of output shafts. If I bought my own output shaft, does anyone know where I could send it to get machined?

Witsend is currently out of output shafts. If I bought my own output shaft, does anyone know where I could send it to get machined?
Dutchman. Info in post #1

Dutchman. Info in post #1

I just called Dutchman (for the second time), they wont sell anymore, they said you can buy through Jonesy's diesel adapters....

edit: **My bad, thinking of another diesel place***

Ordered.

Last edited:
I'm currently waiting on a special shaft for the transfer case that will mate to the nv4500. I will post photos when it arrives.

Normally I would go with the wits end kit - but I'm playing as a test bed for this kit. And I also have to do overdrive gears in the xfer case, so it made more sense to only open the hf2a.

I just called Dutchman (for the second time), they wont sell anymore, they said you can buy through Jonesy's diesel adapters....

F*&K. Ya, the guy even said Jonesys had some sort of proprietary file or plan and they wont sell to folks here. Those guys at Jonesys are not friends to this community if they take over an existing deal established with cruiser owners just to help themselves to some cash through their sketchy buisness.

Anyone know of an alternative? I have a friend in philladelphia whos there know and bringing a bunch of stuff back to calgary at some point so I could essentially get free shipping with him.
I just got one from Jonesy’s last week. Don’t get Diesel Adapters mixed up with Jonesy’s. Two different companies.

I just got one from Jonesy’s last week. Don’t get Diesel Adapters mixed up with Jonesy’s. Two different companies.

Oh, maybe I gotta eat crow, do I got the bad ones mixed up with the good ones...

Weren’t they pretty much the same at one point if I recall?

Weren’t they pretty much the same at one point if I recall?
No they were never the same company. I believe Jonesy’s started a company called Duiser selling conversions parts made by almaras machine ‘Dustin’ and where all the bad client service, delays, half orders delivered etc. originated from was on the manufacturing side. That Duiser company name was then sold to Dustin /Almaras machine and that partnership dissolved.

Jonesys then opened up Adventure Vehicles NW and has come out with their own designs for a bunch of the Cummins conversion parts. I don’t know who Joel is using for the machine work for his parts, but safe to assume it’s not Dustin/Almaras machine.

So while there was a parts relationship between Jonesy’s (Joel) and almaras Machine (Dustin), they were never the same company or the same people.

Oh, maybe I gotta eat crow, do I got the bad ones mixed up with the good ones...
It was all muddled up for a time with bad info. I only got an adapter since I already had a shaft machined last year. Hoping to do the transfer swap at the first of the year unless the splitcase blows up.

Well, I did order from Jonesy's aka Adventure Vehicles NW.

As an FYI, they sell off their site for $650, almost 20% less than the other vendor who doesn't really keep stock (@ $790).

Now to pull and rebuild things. Anyone want an adapter for a split case with a chopped output? I guess I should pull it first to make sure there is no damage.

Well, I did order from Jonesy's aka Adventure Vehicles NW.

As an FYI, they sell off their site for $650, almost 20% less than the other vendor who doesn't really keep stock (@ $790).

Now to pull and rebuild things. Anyone want an adapter for a split case with a chopped output? I guess I should pull it first to make sure there is no damage.

First thanks to everyone for working this adapter for years and doing the legwork for guys to do swaps much easier. I am looking to use Jonesy's adapter kit to mate a Chevy 2003 NV4500 (gas/4wd) to the 1997 HF2AV. I read what OP wrote on page one of this thread about there being differences between the Dodge and GM 4500s but he did not exactly know other than the tail housing being roughly 2" longer. My question to y'all is would Adventure Vehicle's adapter work for me? Their website description says "easily connect a 1994-2002 Dodge or 1996 GM NV4500." I've researched the 96 version and can only find that is the year GM went to a synchronized reverse gear. I've emailed Adventure to ask but have not heard back. Any input is appreciated! Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom