Not your typical MPG thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I beat you!! I scored 21 MPG from Telluride to Moab average 55-65MPH. Best mileage I have so far. :)

I'm thinking that your speedometer is off because of your tire size. No friggin' way.

concretejungle said:
I'm thinking that your speedometer is off because of your tire size. No friggin' way.

actually, with a bigger tire than stock you'd underestimate the mpg if you did not correct....

smokethedog said:
I averaged 13-14 mpg's, highway and town. Gas prices shot up after Hurr Kat, so I turned the PWR button off, and drove like I was on fumes for a whole tank. Got 16.5 mpg's. That was before the latest tuneup (plugs, wires, rotor, distr cap, and first jolt of Mobil 1 oil in engine and diff's). Runs a heck of alot shoother now and am curious if my mpg will go up any.

randall

what effects does oil type and viscosity have on mpg?

21 mpg is not possible unless someone is towing you. I would bet you didn't fill it properly and got caught up at the next tank.

You guys are right, I thought it was impossible too!!! and guess what, we have two truck to check it , my 95 FZJ and my brother LX450. We drove from Telluride to Moab together. He got about 19.6 and I got 21 because he has a roofrack. Actually we are getting more than the number stated because we have bigger tire without correct our speedo. You guys better believe it and we both run Shell Rotell Sync 5w-40. The best geas mileage I found so far is around 55-60 MPH. ANything above 70mph on my truck kinda sucks, like aruond 13-14 mpg average. Try it and you will be surprise. :bounce: :flipoff2:

ranma21 said:
The best geas mileage I found so far is around 55-60 MPH. ANything above 70mph on my truck kinda sucks, like aruond 13-14 mpg average. Try it and you will be surprise. :bounce: :flipoff2:

Wind resistance goes up exponentially as a fcn of speed. Going slower (while boring) is the most effective way to improve fuel milage. (Assuming a good tune-up isn't needed.) The 70's 55 mph limit was based on good science...

lovetoski said:
Wind resistance goes up exponentially as a fcn of speed. Going slower (while boring) is the most effective way to improve fuel milage. (Assuming a good tune-up isn't needed.) The 70's 55 mph limit was based on good science...

I agree totally. It's tough to do though. Even at 55 i still don't see 21mpg. When my truck was totally stock, good compression, new plugs, new M1 synthetic oil, new birfs with Amsoil moly grease, moly grease in the drivelines, synthetic M1 in the diffs and trans., still never saw above 17mpg downt the highway. :flamingo:

I'm not even going to comment on the 20+ mpg nonsense...

The 17mpg with 35s is plausible though. All highway, slow, steady speed, nothing attached to act as a parachute.

The 35s help because once you start rolling, you can run at a lower RPM at the same speed with the larger tires.

My highway MPG increased by 1.5 to 2 MPG once I went to 35s from 33s. My city MPG dropped by 1 to 1.5 MPG, however.

(note: all my MPG calculations are based on my GPS, not my odometer readings)

Given that the 3FE is the superior engine I think this is entirely reasonable. I have realized some high mpg (15-17) moving around at 40-55 mph on level ground for the whole trip with little to no stop and go.

Gee, it was like a 91 was made for that speed? :p

NorCalDoug said:
I'm not even going to comment on the 20+ mpg nonsense...

The 17mpg with 35s is plausible though. All highway, slow, steady speed, nothing attached to act as a parachute.

The 35s help because once you start rolling, you can run at a lower RPM at the same speed with the larger tires.

My highway MPG increased by 1.5 to 2 MPG once I went to 35s from 33s. My city MPG dropped by 1 to 1.5 MPG, however.

(note: all my MPG calculations are based on my GPS, not my odometer readings)

Yep.

And don't forget, I had 40psi in my 35's.
My highway trip this weekend procduced on 14-15mpg. The difference was hills making the rpms go up above 2000 when I hit them. So I FEEL that if I can keep my RPMs at or below 2000RPM then I can achieve 17mpg. Does this make sense?
I too was basing my calcs with GPS

THis is so funny, just because no one has get a 20+ mileage and we( me and my bro) get it, you guys refuse to believe it. May be we get a better cruiser then :D in and out!!!

lovetoski said:

Sort of. It's closer to the square of the speed :). No, I don't believe 21MPG either.

Usually, my average is about 13+ and once in a blue moon, I'll be able to get 14+ but nothing above 15 mpg; until recently that is... I don't know, maybe it was the route from Telluride to Moab? Where there were a few up hills and a lot more down hills, perhaps? But the 19+ mpg was possible.

The total distant was 125+ miles from a Telluride (a gas station just outside of the town) to Moab (a gas station on Main Street). We were following a white 4runner all the way (a resident from Moab who was kind enough to let us tailgate him). He was driving at ABSOLUTE speed limit on all posted sign (not even going downhill). How do I know? Coz I was yawning like hell on this boring ride, constantly reducing/watching my speed and wonder “Are we there yet?” as I have not idea (no maps) how to go to Moab but to follow him.

Anyway, this is the only time I broke the 15 mpg mark. Now, I'm back in my usual crappy 13 mpg (285/75/16 REVO @ 48 PSI) again in CA… I don’t expect anyone to believe what I said, but if you need prove, try this particular route at 100% speed limits.

well, if it's all downhill and only 125 miles (larger error on gas volume) and 2 stations with different fillers... anything is possible...

Update on fuel mileage again. Just got back from CA to Dallas after 30 hours driving slow to save money on gas...bummer bummer :( I found my truck to be most effecient around 55-60 which I got 21 mpg as stated before. At the border of CA towards junctions of Grand Canyon on I-40, I was driving around 80-85 average uphill most of the time after driving for like 65 all the way just to test on the mpg. And I scored a wonderful 10.8 mpg!!! :eek: So slow down after that, costing too much. At 65 average, I got 15.7mpg. 60-63, I got 18.8 mpg. So I stayed on 65 all the way back. THe way I look at it, the chances of getting a ticket in my 80 is very slim, is a good thing too :D

Because I have been driving like a grandmother since my original trip that I started this thread on I am now clocking 265 miles per 20 gallons of gas with city-only driving. That's 13.25 MPG in the city. I am just laying off the pedal enough to stay below 2000 RPM. I'm getting used to the accelerating from stops lights and as much as I hate it, I am enjoying less trips to the gas station. Gas prices are killing me and my 3FE, so I will just start drivng like a grandmother.
I used to get 8mpg in the city. I can't afford a $300+ gas bill every month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom