Not sure what to do... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I live on Maui, but was in NC on New Year's Eve, when someone decided to throw a fountain type firework in my truck, burning the entire inside. She only had liability insurance, so there's no money coming to fix it. It was one of the last 62s made and overall, the truck was in fantastic shape. I don't want to crush it, because there's still a lot of value to be had. Not necessarily to me, but to the LC community. I don't know if one of restoration companies would want it or someone doing their own renovation might want it. To get it anywhere, it would have to be shipped in a crate, so it may not be worth it. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_20200509_104140_283.jpg

IMG_20200509_104140_290.jpg

20200507_182328.jpg

20200507_182320.jpg

20200507_182309.jpg

Part it out, i would like the wheels and hubcaps if we could work something out.

good luck, sorry for the loss

Dang, those pics make a grown man weepy.
Does it still run, stop, steer?
Gut the interior and rhinoline it, add some kool surf gear for kicks. Aftermarket bucket seats up front, sleeping deck in the rear.
Shipping new/replacement parts from the mainland cannot be cost effective.

Edit: the rig is in NC?

Last edited:
There will be more interest in this if the engine compartment survived - no pix of that.

Wow, those pictures made my stomach turn. Sorry for your loss.

Engine compartment and undercarriage/ frame has no issues. Truck is on Maui. I live in both places. I'll post more pics later.

Damnit man fire works are illegal here in nc someone would be buying me another landcruiser

Sorry, I don't see a ton of options here.
Once sheet metal gets that hot it's never the same, damn near impossible to get all the buckling out of it. That things roached.
1. Try finding an FJ62 with a blown engine / No Engine and Transplant the drive train.
2. Try finding an FJ62 with a Rusted Out Frame, Decent Body / No Engine and Transplant the drive train.
3. Strip everything of value off this carcass, sell it and put the cash toward another truck.
Best of luck in a Crappy situation.
:beer:

1 Beat the living $hitt out of the firework weenie.
2 Give a healthy bitch-slap to the same firework weenie's parents along with a small claims summons for the 3 of them.
3. Post ads in local pages to part out. There are many parts in the engine compartment and underneath that are valuable. Good bumpers
lights etc.

@Aloha Jen to the LC courtesy phone. how did the engine bay, chassis, and underside do? Honestly I would pull the body off and sell whatever you could from it. Then put an FJ45 cab on and build it into a ute. Its pretty much my goto solution whenever the body is shot but everything else is good.

Man, that is tragic. Body panel metal got torched from the inside. Did the wiring carry the heat into the engine bay?

I’d say the fj62 axles with the desirable 4.11s, the split t-case and the frame are the only real value. Maybe the engine to someone wanting a 3FE or components...but again, did the wiring cook in there?

@Aloha Jen to the LC courtesy phone. how did the engine bay, chassis, and underside do? Honestly I would pull the body off and sell whatever you could from it. Then put an FJ45 cab on and build it into a ute. Its pretty much my goto solution whenever the body is shot but everything else is good.

I saw the news story about this a while back, so sad. Did they ever catch the guys who did it? I wish I was on Maui, I could use the drivetrain in my Fj40.

looks like you had roof rust, holes along gutter.
I'd say part it but selling parts from HI to the mainland, shipping will be an issue. not sure how many LC's are in HI for local sales

Damnit man fire works are illegal here in nc someone would be buying me another landcruiser

I think it got torched on Maui, the owner was away in NC. I’m assuming that is the story and he didn’t pay to ship a burnt vehicle across the country/ocean

The remaining value is in the frame and drivetrain. The rear hatch and tailgate look ok, but the roof and doors are shot. That type of warping never gets right.

I’ll take the tail lights (lenses, gaskets, housings) and turn signals. I’d buy the bumpers but I’m not on Oahu anymore, shipping might be difficult.

But they’re for a former Hawaii truck!!

also interested in the grille, headlight surrounds, and some (maybe all) of the body chrome/stainless/plastic trim pieces.

What a shame, sorry for your loss, those pics were hard to look at. Did you ever decide what you’re going to do with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom