(not)living with bilsteins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think most people, including myself, get aftermarket shocks when the get or after they have larger tires. The stiffer shock helps control the heavier tires. So the two cancel out somewhat resulting in an OEM ride with the billies and 33s.

Maybe stock tires with bilsteins or almost Any aftermarket shock ride stiffer.

The OEM ride was pretty cushy.

You make a very good point, my 35-ish size tires need a lot more damping then a stock tire. My stock shocks must have been done when I took them off because my truck rode like a boat.

I just drove my dads 100 series home from the shop after four new OEM shocks were installed. It drives like a Cadillac. It is very comfortable but handles like a boat compared to my LC with Radflo's. I would say if your mainly doing street driving then the OEM shocks are fine.

Just out of curiosity... Why does everyone want a stiff suspension for off road? It seems like soft would articulate better and soak up the ruts better. Is it a concern for bottoming out?

jOnathN said:
Just out of curiosity... Why does everyone want a stiff suspension for off road? It seems like soft would articulate better and soak up the ruts better. Is it a concern for bottoming out?

With a stock vehicle, 40,000 on the odometer, the stock shocks could not handle desert and sand travel. The front end dive and rebound was unnerving. The side to side sway on mountain roads also left something to be desired. Solution, until I lifted it, was the installation of the bilsteins.

Tamed the off road issues as well as firming up the handling on road. Stiffer ride around town at slower speeds? Yes. Passenger and wife complaints? Nope. Want to keep the "cruiser" in you 100 series, stay with OEM shocks. Need more performance on an off road, consider the billies.

I'm pretty hard core about sticking to or going OEM, Toyota designed most of this stuff to last in places like the Amazon, the Sahara, and the Outback. and for the price I can get OEM shocks for example from Jacque at Toyota of Dallas, its sooo worth it, the OEMs ride very nice, and last about 90 or so K. Plus considering that for the 60 I could get almost any new OEM part new still to this day..why go with anything else!

3rd Cruiser said:
With a stock vehicle, 40,000 on the odometer, the stock shocks could not handle desert and sand travel. The front end dive and rebound was unnerving. The side to side sway on mountain roads also left something to be desired. Solution, until I lifted it, was the installation of the bilsteins.

Tamed the off road issues as well as firming up the handling on road. Stiffer ride around town at slower speeds? Yes. Passenger and wife complaints? Nope. Want to keep the "cruiser" in you 100 series, stay with OEM shocks. Need more performance on an off road, consider the billies.

I'll confirm this. Fully loaded with 250lbs of gear, the cruiser rides better than empty due to the firmer springs and shocks. That is the main reason why I run after market components.

I'm pretty hard core about sticking to or going OEM, Toyota designed most of this stuff to last in places like the Amazon, the Sahara, and the Outback. and for the price I can get OEM shocks for example from Jacque at Toyota of Dallas, its sooo worth it, the OEMs ride very nice, and last about 90 or so K. Plus considering that for the 60 I could get almost any new OEM part new still to this day..why go with anything else!

Why?? Well because the trucks built for the Amazon, Sahara, and outback were sent there.... not here.

These trucks are great oem or otherwise. But, once you start loading it down with gear, then start adding bumpers, armor, etc. the weight of the vehicle easily passes the design parameters of the oem shock. Therefor heavier shocks are needed to maintain safe driving conditions.

If some one is not planning to do many modifications, mainly will be driving on-road with light off-road, then oem should be just fine. But these are already heavy beast and any one doing more will find themselves wanting a better suspension.

The stock Bilstein valving is called digressive, which means that the resistance to motion is larger at low shock speeds, or small bumps. This results in small bumps being felt in the car.

I agree that a more linear valving would preserve some of the cushy ride of the oem shocks, but I really do like the improvements in handling when taking a freeway on ramp with the Bilsteins.

I believe the valving on these can be changed though by Bilstein at their service center down in southern California for a reasonable fee ($60/shock?) to match your interests.

afaik, Bilstein shocks resist movement but do not (more than trivially) affect ride height.

Pete

I removed my Bilsteins and installed (4) new OEM Shocks Friday and here are the results;

1. The ride is much improved. The harshness of the ride with all OEM Land Cruiser suspension and the Bilsteins is no more and the truck rides like all the stock 1998-2002 Land Cruisers I have ever drove or ridden in.

2. The truck now sits at the normal ride height. When I converted the truck from AHC to LC suspension, I noticed slight increase in ride height, especially the front. I thought this was from the Land Cruiser torsions bars and coil springs VS AHC torsion bars and coil springs, but it was the Bilsteins.

Could the Bilstein BST Heavy Duty Rear Shocks F4-BE5-2740-H3 and Bilstein Heavy Duty Front Shocks F4-BE5-2739-H4 really be designed for Cruisers with a lift?

Wouldn’t this explain the harsh ride, due to a longer shock being compressed too much in a non-lifted Cruiser?

still waiting for mine(oems) to show up and will report back. interesting you say the truck seems lower. the bilsteins do have some serious gas pressure as i noticed trying to press down on them when off the truck compared to other shocks i've dealt with including the 5150's on my 4runner. it could be that they aren't letting the truck sit at resting height. doesn't seem likely given the weight of the cruiser but they are working in conjunction with the torsions and springs so anything's possible. glad to hear you are pleased with the stockers.

Last edited:
The stock Bilstein valving is called digressive, which means that the resistance to motion is larger at low shock speeds, or small bumps. This results in small bumps being felt in the car.

I agree that a more linear valving would preserve some of the cushy ride of the oem shocks, but I really do like the improvements in handling when taking a freeway on ramp with the Bilsteins.

I believe the valving on these can be changed though by Bilstein at their service center down in southern California for a reasonable fee ($60/shock?) to match your interests.

afaik, Bilstein shocks resist movement but do not (more than trivially) affect ride height.

Pete

I agree 100%. I think revalves are now $65. I run OME for my off road, but bilstein for street / track cars.

Not to hi-jack....
I need new shocks on my 2000; 150K, stock suspension, ARB front bumper, 285s.
Bilsteins or OME?
OEM is too cushy for where we live. Lots of messed up dirt roads, and the 100 sees it's fair share of off road use as well.

I have been very happy with the RadFlo shocks from MetalTech. I put on 2.5's with the reservoir in the front, and 2.5 without reservoirs in the rear, and on the 305 Nitto's, it rides smooth as butter- very pleasant surprise!

My Radflo's performed nicely this weekend with about 250lbs of gear in the back off-roading in Big Bear. The ride was actually nicer fully loaded than running with no gear in the back.

OP -

I would suggest that the rear springs are probably "done". My 2000 with 155k the rears are weak and it makes the ride pretty bad. It improved once I added the Bilstein's. It's much better with new springs in the rear though I have the stockers in pending CV rebuild for the lift.

Bottom line is that you changed them and weren't happy - Let us know what you think about your OEM's.

Just ordered OEMs all round from Sam at Lowes Toyota.
The originals worked well for me with the stock setup. Adding airbags to the rear for load leveling.

Billiies and 865s go on tomorrow. If I was strictly driving on pavement and not towing/hauling anything the oems would have sufficed. To each their own I guess. skol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom