Car not moving - gears not engaging (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a friggen saga. I hope for a positive final outcome for you...
Indeed!

But this forum keeps one moving even in a most challenging situation.

Will keep you posted.

Note: all my life, i didnt know anything about the internals of automatic transmission. Now, courtesy of this forum, i can win an argument.

I too was skeptical about auto's but after the trans failure in my 2000 and getting it rebuilt 100% and watching how they do it, If I have the repair kit, I should be able to get it all together! Let's hope for the best for you. $600 just for the oil? wow.. I got the entire trans rebuilt for $3800. Mind you, the pulling power after the complete rebuilt (including the torque converter) is a night and day difference. I drove a 200 series and my 100 had way more get up and go power.

I too was skeptical about auto's but after the trans failure in my 2000 and getting it rebuilt 100% and watching how they do it, If I have the repair kit, I should be able to get it all together! Let's hope for the best for you. $600 just for the oil? wow.. I got the entire trans rebuilt for $3800. Mind you, the pulling power after the complete rebuilt (including the torque converter) is a night and day difference. I drove a 200 series and my 100 had way more get up and go power.
Yeah, we are going to rebuild afresh. I know when done properly, the ride will be real fun.

We removed the transmission again a few hours ago, and you cannot believe how damaged the clutch plates were. We dont understand how they did it the first and second time (by the same person).

May i ask what is involved in rebuilding the torque converter, and how easy is it?

We completed another transmission rebuild today - including valve body replacement. The issue has been resolved and the car is now firing like a new rocket (even better than it was before). We only pray that it maintains that status.

An important note: although the label in the engine bay indicates that my car uses transmission type A442F, there is no label or indication on the transmission itself. So, I am not even sure whether it is A442F.

All available literature suggest that transmission A442F uses 15 liters of transmission fluid on dry fill. In my case, I have consistently used only 11.5 liters all the three times we dropped the transmission and drained all fluid (even in torque converter). This has really confused me.

For now, all is well though I spent nearly thrice the amount that I should actually have spent if I had at first used this last mechanic.

The A442F is used in several different Land Cruiser but they are not exactly the same. You would have to find the manual/spec for your model and year to really know the capacity. I don't have it.

The A442F is used in several different Land Cruiser but they are not exactly the same. You would have to find the manual/spec for your model and year to really know the capacity. I don't have it.
Thsnk you

Now that my problem is sorted, i need to seriously consider the transfer and diff fluids. They are definitely very old. Should i replace the fluids? Is it safe to do so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom