Not a big lift kind of guy but.....for $90 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine are the same, airlift 1000. Can't recall what 'model' (size), though.

IMG_20190821_193731_01.jpg

Airbagman in Australia makes the kelvar sleeve that a poster was referring to here: Air bag suspension for LEXUS LX 470 Series 98-08
They will ship to the US and the price with shipping was pretty reasonable when I looked into it. I believe these are Firestone Bags but in blue. They offer a few options for those with lifts or stock suspension height.
1590783878785.png

If the Airlift springs are deflated to ambient air pressure, they will crab upwards in the OEM springs over time. Known fact. If they retain some minimum internal air pressure, they tend not to crab upwards. I keep mine ar 5PSI and don't have issues.

^^ There we go, the Kevlar condoms

From their own website - load leveling. They don't lift an unloaded vehicle. They will keep a loaded vehicle from dropping more. And a spring can't lift more with them, they don't change the load rating of the spring.

They are not meant to be filled at all times, only when there's a load. I didn't say anything about 0psi. Filled.

From their own website - load leveling. They don't lift an unloaded vehicle. They will keep a loaded vehicle from dropping more. And a spring can't lift more with them, they don't change the load rating of the spring.

They are not meant to be filled at all times, only when there's a load. I didn't say anything about 0psi. Filled.
Absolutely and completely wrong. I just took a video which proves it (adding air to bags and rear end lifting immediately. Will post as soon as it's ready.

As an effort to combat the incredible amount of misinformation, rumors, anecdotes, etc I will bring some data to the conversation.

Firstly, there are multiple types of airbags for suspension, and @nukegoat your point about non-progressive rate does not apply to the internal coil air bags.

Your point applies to these heavy duty truck helper air springs. These grow in height to take up extra load. These are progressive rate. These are BAD for suspension travel. They are GREAT for carrying heavy loads. These are NOT recommend for use on off road vehicles:

vnrX4v1.jpg

These are the Air Lift 1000 internal coil spring air bags. These push outwards on the spring only, they do not grow in height. They press outwards on the coil forcing it to elongate. Since the bag does not press directly on the axle or chassis, it only increases the coil spring's springrate, therefore maintaining a progressive rate and allowing flex:

PKM4mSN.jpg

Air Lift advertises this fact:

MQVGATU.jpg

Lastly, I graphed my AHC pressures vs. airbag pressure and you can see that they act linearly. By reducing the AHC pressure required to maintain a certain ride height, more load can be carried and achieve the same ride height. @suprarx7nut you like data and you like AHC what say you?

J52jq6H.png

Last edited:
As an effort to combat the incredible amount of misinformation, rumors, anecdotes, etc I will bring some data to the conversation.

Firstly, there are multiple types of airbags for suspension, and @nukegoat your point about non-progressive rate does not apply to the internal coil air bags.

Your point applies to these heavy duty truck helper air springs. These grow in height to take up extra load. These are NOT progressive rate. These are BAD for suspension travel. They are GREAT for carrying heavy loads. These are NOT recommend for use on off road vehicles:

vnrX4v1.jpg

These are the Air Lift 1000 internal coil spring air bags. These push outwards on the spring only, they do not grow in height. They press outwards on the coil forcing it to elongate. Since the bag does not press directly on the axle or chassis, it only increases the coil spring's springrate, therefore maintaining a progressive rate and allowing flex:

PKM4mSN.jpg

Air Lift advertises this fact:

MQVGATU.jpg

Lastly, I graphed my AHC pressures vs. airbag pressure and you can see that they act linearly. By reducing the AHC pressure required to maintain a certain ride height, more load can be carried and achieve the same ride height. @suprarx7nut you like data and you like AHC what say you?

J52jq6H.png

Well, I like the graph! I don't think I know enough to be helpful here, though. My impression was that the bags would provide a lift, but I have zero actual experience with these. I wouldn't expect the most repeatable performance from the bags vs the factory setup, but that's just my intuition.

If you plan on always carrying a load where the bags are helpful, the spacers seem like a much more robust solution.

Highly variable load = bags

Pretty constant heavier load = King springs and/or spacers

:dunno:

Well, I like the graph! I don't think I know enough to be helpful here, though. My impression was that the bags would provide a lift, but I have zero actual experience with these. I wouldn't expect the most repeatable performance from the bags vs the factory setup, but that's just my intuition.

If you plan on always carrying a load where the bags are helpful, the spacers seem like a much more robust solution.

Highly variable load = bags

Pretty constant heavier load = King springs and/or spacers

:dunno:
Well increasing springrate will create a lift. That's true for anything that rests on springs, not just vehicles. From my experience it is very consistent and repeatable and I know how many psi to put in the bags depending on my goals. The numbers I posted MPa vs. PSI I could go and repeat again any day and be within .1 MPa.

I completely agree bags are good for variable loads, heavier springs for constant known loads. But spacers are mechanical pieces that will reduce overall suspension travel.

Last edited:
Well increasing springrate will create a lift. That's true for anything that rests on springs, not just vehicles. From my experience it is very consistent and repeatable and I know how many psi to put in the bags depending on my goals. The numbers I posted MPa vs. PSI I could go and repeat again any day and be within .1 MPa.

I completely agree bags are good for variable loads, heavier springs for constant known loads. But spacers are mechanical pieces that will reduce overall suspension travel.
So you're saying airlift bags are progressive or linear? And the stock springs are progressive or linear? I think you're getting a lot of things wrong here

For what it’s worth BullElk, I think it is great man. You got some lift, and can deal with sag when towing 👍🏼... Leave it to Mud to have such a heated debate over airbags 😆😆😆

So you're saying airlift bags are progressive or linear? And the stock springs are progressive or linear? I think you're getting a lot of things wrong here
Ok yeah I had it backwards. Still more correct than you. I can admit it when I'm wrong.

This. Spacers are the best way to retain the shock/spring design for small, cheap lifts
Spacers reduce overall suspension travel. Would cause coil-binding on the trails at max flex.

They change the spring rate in a dramatic and progressive way, whereas spacers maintain it. Hey, but you do you
No they don't.

Ok yeah I had it backwards. Still more correct than you. I can admit it when I'm wrong.

Spacers reduce overall suspension travel. Would cause coil-binding on the trails at max flex.

No they don't.
Coil binding lol

No

Coil binding lol

No

" NOTE: Adding coil spring spacers to the vehicle may cause "coil bind" (all coils closed together) before the bump stop comes into effect. This can cause very serious damage to the spring and/or suspension components. Please consider this before ordering. "

" NOTE: Adding coil spring spacers to the vehicle may cause "coil bind" (all coils closed together) before the bump stop comes into effect. This can cause very serious damage to the spring and/or suspension components. Please consider this before ordering. "
Show me an example of it happening. The coils (especially AHC coils) have a miniscule block height.

Show me an example of it happening. The coils (especially AHC coils) have a miniscule block height.
No. I showed you my truck flexing out on airbags which directly contradicts you. I posted a disclaimer from the manufacturer of spacers pointing out the risk. If you have an example you post it otherwise you are just spreading more misinformation and no substance. You're making the claim you provide the evidence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom