Not a big lift kind of guy but.....for $90 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
For $90 Airlift 1000 air bags and cranked torsion bars, it looks result in about a 2-2.5” lift.

I didn’t even think about it and get measurements before but the after measurements are: from the top of wheel to fender is 11.25” in front and 12” in rear.

And it rides superbly.

3A76777F-1810-4191-9F75-CF1916C98394.jpeg
22C920D4-DC4D-4F65-91A1-5755672E179A.jpeg

I think airbags are meant just to be filled when you're carrying weight, not all the time. Also shouldn't really provide any "lift", just supplement the springs that are in there.

I'd go with spacers on top of the springs.

I do not disagree with that being the intended purpose but with the air out and the bump stops gone it sits lower than desired. It seems to do well and ride well keeping it aired up.

I think airbags are meant just to be filled when you're carrying weight, not all the time. Also shouldn't really provide any "lift", just supplement the springs that are in there.

This. Spacers are the best way to retain the shock/spring design for small, cheap lifts

Ok. But I think less versatile The spacers only increase the starting point of where the springs sit by 30 mm. And then really do nothing to assist the springs once a rear load is increased. I have them on my 80 series.

The airbags increase the starting point closer to 60 mm and then holds a load in the rear with no sacrifice in ride comfort or anything else that I know of yet.

I will say....the airbags actually came in the vehicle when I bought it. I had to replace one so I bought the entire set for around $90. Since using them I think it is a good option for lifting the rear. Aside from the above, another advantage is not buying spacers and paying the labor to install them.

Ok. But I think less versatile The spacers only increase the starting point of where the springs sit by 30 mm. And then really do nothing to assist the springs once a rear load is increased. I have them on my 80 series.

The airbags increase the starting point closer to 60 mm and then holds a load in the rear with no sacrifice in ride comfort or anything else that I know of yet.

I will say....the airbags actually came in the vehicle when I bought it. I had to replace one so I bought the entire set for around $90. Since using them I think it is a good option for lifting the rear. Aside from the above, another advantage is not buying spacers and paying the labor to install them.
They change the spring rate in a dramatic and progressive way, whereas spacers maintain it. Hey, but you do you

I am certainly open to finding any problems with airbags versus spacers but so far none.

I have the HD compressor and bags ready to install, just haven’t done it yet. It is specifically for towing our camper. Off road, it will limit up travel, and what happens if they get pinched or punctured? I’m just saying, that if lift is achieved solely from the bags, if you lose the air to the bags, you lose the lift. And installing airbags, is harder than a spacer. You have to drill out the hole in the lower spring perch, and that sucks. If yours was already drilled, then you can just deflate and swap it out. But it is a great way, to progressively handle weight. I’m putting them on in a few weeks 👍🏼

Last edited:
Try it. You may find out that if you don't drill out the hole larger than the recommended hole size on the bottom of the spring perch that whatever clip/clamp you use too connect the air line, the clip/clamp may cause issues over time. Also, the ride DOES firm up in the back with inflated bags. The back may get jumpy/hoppy.

Definitely have to increase the hole size on the driver side perch. Took about 10 minutes with a cutting torch with spring in place.

8EAED437-0DF2-42D0-9794-AFE78B3A4BBB.jpeg

Yeah, I don’t have a plasma cutter yet. Bottom line, “suspension” lift is just handling weight, right? So I’m down with lift from bags, I just would be concerned about durability on the trail.

Rumor has it that Firestone sells bags too, and their kit may include a kevlar-based shield/bag which goes around the airbag. Something to research

Wrong on both counts. They are meant to be filled all of the time, the instructions say never to let them go below 5 psi. Secondly if they supplement a spring then the spring can lift more then the truck will raise up.

Lots of talk no substance in this thread unfortunately.

I use mine for towing, only. And I empty them all the way when they're not in use. Yeah, they say leave 5lbs in, but here's what happens when you do that and then go wheeling: they hold the inside edges of the springs, and both prevent the spring from full compression and will eventually be rubbed 'upward' to the point you will pull out the air line. Even with a widened hole in the perch. Ask me how I know. It's possible my bags are wider than others, but it's been my own experience that keeping air in them while stretching and compressing the springs is a bad idea.

If I only ever drove my truck on pavement, I guess I'd consider leaving them inflated? I just bought the right springs so no need to. They have a purpose (for me) and they defeat that purpose when used outside of that purpose.

My substance is actually doing it by inflating and raising 2+ inches, holding weight and riding very nice. Truck doesn’t lower at all with my heavy steel deer rack attached. So far so good.

They have a lifetime warranty so I expect them to be pretty darn tough and very unlikely to puncture.

I must be doing it wrong. I installed my bags and they haven't leaked out in over a year. Been wheeling a lot and especially hard the past month and a half plus towing plus I use L and H mode all of the time. Maybe you didn't leave enough slack in the lines to account for all of the movement so when flexing it pulls loose or maybe you didn't make the hole large enough and the hose snags the edge. Your experience is directly opposite to mine that's all I know. The reason you should leave them pressurized is for the same reasons why nearly all devices that contain pressurized air are intended to be stored pressurized. Otherwise moisture, debris, etc can get inside or it can lose it's shape. So I don't need to ask you, thanks though.

I must be doing it wrong. I installed my bags and they haven't leaked out in over a year. Been wheeling a lot and especially hard the past month and a half plus towing plus I use L and H mode all of the time. Maybe you didn't leave enough slack in the lines to account for all of the movement so when flexing it pulls loose or maybe you didn't make the hole large enough and the hose snags the edge. Your experience is directly opposite to mine that's all I know. The reason you should leave them pressurized is for the same reasons why nearly all devices that contain pressurized air are intended to be stored pressurized. Otherwise moisture, debris, etc can get inside or it can lose it's shape.

I imagine you're responding to me?

Your experience is different, that's fantastic. Mine is what it is. My perch was widened out beyond the general recommendation here and there's more than enough slack to account for suspension flex. What there isn't slack for, is the bag 'gripping' the inside of the springs and moving 'up' inside of them. That's an extra idk 6" or so? And as I mentioned, it's possible my own bags are wider than others. My bags are also sealed all around, there's no anything getting into them short of a puncture.

Regardless of your or my own experiences, I can't see any way that having them inflated (to the point of lift) while on a trail is beneficial. Even if they don't pull the line out, they're still going to restrict the compression of the springs.

So I don't need to ask you, thanks though.

:rolleyes: Ok smart guy. Go pat yourself on the back for sticking it to someone.

Last edited:
Are you running just the minimum 5lbs there or are they aired up for load?

All I could account for would be different sized bags or springs with different inner dimensions. Maybe different rear droop between your suspension and mine, but I don't imagine that's significant. My bags are just snug inside my gold coils, and will often hold toward the top of the spring depending on how the spring has been cycled. Our experiences are not mutually exclusive.

20190929_121148_HDR.jpg

Yep looks like your aftermarket coils are coned shaped whereas my oem ones are not. That definitely would force them upward. You can see in my photo that my bags are sitting nicely at the bottom of the perch. That was with a light load of tools and coolers and recovery gear and 5psi. The Air Lift 1000s are absolutely perfect for my application. I got mine as open-box on Amazon for $40 and I intend to use it in its current config for a very long time. https://amzn.to/3gzLiMx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom