No Pow'a (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Yesterday on the way back from the Jemez I had a small problem right about the time we hit 550 and 528. The day before I had developed a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the exhaust. Since I've had the welds on the muffler come apart before I figured it was the same problem. NOT!

When we made the turn onto 528 I noticed a new sound coming from under the truck that varied with load. I also noticed I didn't have any power. This is why.... That is a chunk of my catalytic converter in the pipe between the muffler and the cat. The new sound was exhaust blowing out the header flange. The back pressure blew out the gasket.

The result is a new cat and muffler.
mufflerplug_sm.jpg
mufflerplug1_sm.jpg

Wow! I didn't even know that could happen.

Well, that explains the problem. That chunk will block the flow of darn near all of the exhaust.

Now the next question is what would make the old cat do that? I assume you were running an aftermarket cat converter? That's interesting...

I thought this thread would lead to a rebuilt, turbo'd 22RE, but looks like you are going to take the easy way out and just get some exhaust work...

I assume you were running an aftermarket cat converter?

I thought this thread would lead to a rebuilt, turbo'd 22RE, but looks like you are going to take the easy way out and just get some exhaust work...

Yes, aftermarket cat installed awhile ago. Sorry Rory, no new engine for Pappy. Just a new Flowmaster 50 and cat. Greg gave me a rash a few years ago about my truck sounding "ricey." He should hear it now. Really ricey.

Greg gave me a rash a few years ago about my truck sounding "ricey" He should hear it now. Really ricey.
I think I might take that as a compliment, considering it's a Toyota. I'd rather have that than a Toyota that sounds like a Chevy.
:D :flipoff2: That's better

Last edited:
Um, Dan, I'm not sure quite how to respond to this. "2-ned"? So, I'll just leave it with this:

:flipoff2:

The result is a new cat and muffler.

I don't think you'd need a new muffler (unless you are looking for an excuse). Usually the ceramic honeycomb chunks only go as far as the firts baffle and you can usually just shake them out. I've had to do this more than once (notice how "ricey" the 944 sounds?). Those honeycomb things suck because they are very brittle and fail easily under heavy vibration. And they can fail all at once like yours leaving you stuck somewhere. You should be able a good affordable high flow cat now that will last for years and years. All you're out then is the price of the cat, a new flange gasket, and cost to weld it in.

Or just pound out the remaining matrix and weld it up yourself until the next smog check comes up.

If you'd have just run it for awhile the catalytic converter would have rattled away to nothing...

Looks like a fur ball.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom