No parking brake on my FJ45, (my e-brake challenges) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would be curious how it turns out. The 70 series axle isn't that much wider to deal with slack across the back. The 60 series which is probaby the easiest LC long brake cable to find in the US would wider. I have the same axle and the 60 series brakes to covert to the hand brake. I'll be using the cowl from a 78 FJ40 on my 65 FJ45LP-B and maybe between a 40 series rear axle hand brake cable and the stock cable off the 78 might be able to make a connection in the middle with a lever to deal with the difference in leverage needed between the two.

Good idea with the lever. I might be having a quick look tomorrow if the weather is right. I have got the 79 series cable now. Thanks mate.

When I was a kid I saved a home delivery milk truck from coasting down the street when the truck's "momentary" line lock failed, and line locks are just that, momentary. Even if the master cylinder (or line lock cylinder) does not fail, eventually pressure will be lost through the wheel cylinders. I also don't like transfer-case mounted "disc" parking brakes. If their rotor is small diameter, the tires/drive shaft will have too much leverage on it. It the rotor is larger diameter, caliper will be able to hold the vehicle in parked location, but rotor now has to be large enough diameter to hang well below the transfer-case, which is subject to trail damage, meaning vehicle goes know where until bent rotor is removed. If you can use FJ60 rear backing plates and parking brake parts, I can provide the necessary parking brake lever and cable kit, floor lever has plenty of built-in leverage.

DSCN1835.JPG

DSCN1838.JPG

DSCN1841.JPG

DSCN1846.JPG

I like the idea of using the 60 series brake parts to get the parking brake on the rear axle. I'm putting a 45 FF in my '72 fj40 along with an H55F so I was going to lose my park brake too when I went to a split t-case. I ended up finding a conversion kit at Specter Off-road that uses Toyota parts, new bearing housing, lengthened output shaft etc. for the split case. I came across this purely by accident. The kits have been discontinued for years supposedly, I happened to log onto their site and one appeared where one wasn't before, suddenly they had one in stock. When it arrived some of the parts were used, including the output shaft which wasn't in great shape. I happened to find one new from another vendor.

I didn't think to utilize 60 series backing plates and parts, I didn't know that they bolted up. One comment that I got from a local respected cruiser shop owner was that the 45 FF axle drum brake uses two wheel cylinders, due to the higher load capacity compared to the fj40/60. The fj40 semi-float (it looks to be the same with the 60 series rear brakes) uses a single wheel cylinder, I was advised to remove a wheel cylinder from my 45 FF brake drums when I installed the axle in my 40, otherwise the brakes would be too effective, locking up easily. I wonder if you will find the brakes much less powerful going to single wheel cylinder drum (especially if you load up your 45). This might not be true with your 45, it looks like the later 45 axles are single cylinder brakes? I'm sure the 76 FF axle I have uses two wheel cylinders per drum...

Last edited:
Rusty, how would a dual cylinder drum brake setup even work if you removed a cylinder???

The effectiveness of the brakes really does not change. What changed was the earlier dual cylinder drum brakes require manual adjustment to compensate for wear of the shoes and drum. They require each cylinder to push the shoes apart from each other and contact the drum, that is just how they work.

The later style brakes with integrated park brakes uses one cylinder and mechanical leverage when the shoes make contact to apply pressure. The park brake when engaged also adjusts the brakes to take up slack from wear each time it is applied.

The big difference however is everything before 1980 uses a 6 bolt pattern backing plate. The 1980 up uses a 4 bolt pattern backing plate. Later backing plates will not bolt onto an earlier axle. I speculate perhaps late backing plates could be put on an earlier axle utilizing an adapter, but I have never had both vintages of axles side by side and measured the backspacing of the plate versus the wheel mounting surface and drum placement.

The original poster had late model axles, so the 1980 and up FJ60 backing plates bolted on.

I might find out soon if you can fit a 60 backplate to an early FF HJ45 axle. I am thinking about swapping out the brakes and motor from a HJ60 into my HJ45. I was going to do it after running it as standard for a bit but I have just blown most of my brake cylinders after it has been sat for 14 years!
I will check for parts availability and cost of standard bits first.

Just to clarify as a couple people have mentioned that you can't have an H55F and a split case and keep your factory t-case drum brake. I have that exact setup and am running my factory e-brake cable and it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom