Newbie question. What engine oil should I use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, Sorry for this newbie question. I'm still new to FJ80 world. What would be a good oil weight to use on my 92 FJ80 with 3FE motor? I live in Portland, OR. I am currently using Castrol GTX 10W-30 coz thats what the "manual said" but the motor got 201,000 miles already. is the 10W-30 good enough? let me know.

Thanks in advance,

AJM

I run Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage in mine. Run it in my tacoma as well. About same mileage on both. 176k-180k on them.

One thing to note, I recently used Dino oil in my last oil change after using synthetic for a long time and noticed that the engine gets up to temperature faster, maybe runs a little warmer, and that the engine downshifts more while going over overpasses compared to synthetic oil. With synthetic I was doing 5k mile filter changes and 10k mile oil changes...

I stopped checking mileage awhile back but am sure that a difference might be there too.

You will get a huge number of opinions on preferred oil.

A decent 15W-40 dino or 5W-40 synthetic is a common theme, and one I support. Any further and people will just tell you their favorite brand.

I like the chevron Delo400 because Costco sells it for cheap.

Anywhere from 5w-40 to 15w-40. I prefer the heavier stuff. Dino or syn, doesn't really matter IMHO.

I stay away from high mileage oils. I've always heard that the seal swell can actually cause the seals to fail.

You'll get million opinions on which oil is best, but just about anything off the shelf will work just fine :meh:

Synthetic or Conventional depends upon your budget, but just to give you an idea on how easy these engines are on oil, checkout my last Blackstone report using Toyota 10w-30 conventional (bottled by Exxon/Mobil)

blackstoneFZJ80at250k.jpg

My only suggestion is that you choose one oil brand (whatever it may be) and stick with it for the life of your engine :cool:

Reason being that different brands sometimes use additives that aren't compatible and can lead to sludge buildup :eek:

10W30 Mobil One. Use it in all my vehicles for years. As of today, never had an engine failure.:beer:

I run shell rotella 5-40 synthetic

I second rotella t6 synthetic. I run it in everything in my fleet from a turbo subie to my diesel dually.

You don't mention where you're located. I've been real happy with Toyota 5-30 and my local dealer has it cheap with an everyday price of $2.49 and filters at $4.95 (might want to check yours out). They even give me the big filter for that price because I'm the whacky LC 80 owner that's in there 5 times a month. The 'vultures' always thing I'm there to trade it in - you'd think they learned.

Mobil1 is great and run it in my wife and I's daily drivers (Armada and TL) but can't warrant $70 oil changes for as much as I baby the 80 and as often as I change her oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom