Newbie Here... If you only had $$$ what would you spend it on first??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Y'all... With that intro you should know I'm from Texas and live in the North Ft Worth area! ;)

Been looking around for a little bit to find a good forum to educate myself. I think I found it, this site is great!

I am looking to get into Overlanding and have been going back and forth between what Rig to get. After many hours, days, weeks, okay maybe months of research and reaching out to a couple of buddies that have a lot of experience. I have landed on acquiring a Lexus GX470 between the years of 2005-2009. I will be taking a look at a few of them this week and could welcome home my new project soon.

So, here is my question? If you only had a budget of 3-4k what mods or stuff would you get first, what order, and why?

Just curious as to what I might need to prioritize first, to be able to get out and tackle some moderate trails and stuff.

First, maintenance (Stage 0). Get it up to spec. including timing belt, water pump, etc. If the rear air bags are shot, then consider swapping them out with springs and perhaps do a moderate lift while you are at it. Tires cost about $1000 so that will spend all of the $$ and give you a reliable rig to build as you go.

Great feedback. Yes, I agree maintenance items are first. Gotta make sure my rig makes it to my destination and back.

If the rear air bags are good, could I just raise them up for a lift to fit 285x70x17 tires? What I'm thinking is keeping the rear if they are good and start with the front suspension that is adjustable and lift the front 2-3". What do you think? Is it possible?

Yes, it is an option but depending how far out you go, I wouldn't. The systems can fail and if it does, you might be stranded. You can do an FJC Spring swap in the rear to save $$ and just do the fronts to match it. That should allow you to run 32" tires and give good articulation. As you add weight to your rig with things like bumpers, armor, fridge, drawers, etc., your suspension needs will change. Rear springs are easy enough, and cheap enough, to change out as you progress. The fronts are more effort, but not hard.

What do you want to do? The GX is pretty capable stock. After maintenance, a good set of tires. The GX can do many trails w/o a lift or bigger tires.

I didn't take that advice and ended up building it up way more than I needed. But hey, it was fun.

What do you want to do? The GX is pretty capable stock. After maintenance, a good set of tires. The GX can do many trails w/o a lift or bigger tires.

I didn't take that advice and ended up building it up way more than I needed. But hey, it was fun.
I eventually want to spend quite a bit of time wheeling in CO and UT. I want to be able to concur any and all conditions, and still be able to make it home.

I will almost agree with Dan (Vlad). Maintenance, Lift, Sliders, Tires. This is only because my running boards interfered with the 33" so i had to remove them and added sliders before doing tires. Now I am shopping for some hybrid tires in 33"

Welcome... you said you are interested in overlanding which implies dirt/gravel roads and two tracks exploring the BRD routes, Ouray trails, and Utah canyon lands. Typically overlanding is not going to take you over very difficult 4x4 trails.

I'll repeat others here a bit because it is good advice.
  1. Bring maintenance up to spec (belt, water pump, fluids, ATF change, ...)
  2. Lift and good 10 ply all terrain tires (not for giant clearance as much as for solid traction and protection from sharp rocks)
  3. Recovery gear (hi-lift, straps, shovel, tow points, gloves, ...)
That short list will take you a long way since the GX470 is a pretty capable right out of the box. As you explore and get miles under your belt you be in a much better position to decide how far you want to take your build after that... and you can really go nuts with lockers, bumpers, sliders, storage systems, fridge, dual battery, on-board air, winch...

The great thing about the GX470 (J120) platform is that is shares so much with the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner so there are plenty of options. I have a FJ Cruiser built to take on difficlut 4x4 trails like Rubicon and my GX470 is stock for overlanding. I enjoy both and each is more than capable of executing their role.

After your maintenance is done, go out and use it and see what limitations you run into. If you're new to offroad/overland stuff and are just getting your feet wet, you'll probably be surprised at where a stock GX with a decent set of all terrain tires will take you.

for 4k i went with Radflo 2.5 + resi on all 4 corners + wheels + 33s

drives great to work and back... yup.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for everyone's advice. I will definitely adhere to it, as you all have the experience I don't yet have.
I currently have a 2017 Tundra, but it is still to perfect to take out on the trails, so I'm looking forward to getting a GX that I can take out and enjoy without worrying about it getting a scratch or two.

for 4k i went with Radflo 2.5 + resi on all 4 corners + wheels + 33s

drives great to work and back... yup.
I'm sure I could research this, but since you brought it up. How do you like the Radflo? I was leaning towards the Icon stage 2 or 3 personaly. Why did you go with Radflo?

I'm sure I could research this, but since you brought it up. How do you like the Radflo? I was leaning towards the Icon stage 2 or 3 personaly. Why did you go with Radflo?

I went for radflo due to the progressive valving... Since king's run progressive and I wanted king's but didn't want to spend king money lol. So far they seem good. Haven't wheeled or done high speed yet.. hence work and home statement LOL. Offroading in the bay area is not the easiest to come by since we have to drive a few hours for some dirt.

I did lift, tires/wheels, sliders, rack after doing maintenance.

I'm definitely of the mindset that your terrain and chosen destinations will dictate what mods are best for you but one thing any auto project needs is solid maintenance. You could spend half you budget on necessary maintenance and the rest on recovery gear and tires and have a very capable rig.

A lift is tempting but really, unless you bags are shot, I'd wait and see if it's needed for your goals.

What the other guys have said about just using it and letting your experience show you the rigs short comings is solid advice.

I did lift, tires/wheels, sliders, rack after doing maintenance.

I'm definitely of the mindset that your terrain and chosen destinations will dictate what mods are best for you but one thing any auto project needs is solid maintenance. You could spend half you budget on necessary maintenance and the rest on recovery gear and tires and have a very capable rig.

A lift is tempting but really, unless you bags are shot, I'd wait and see if it's needed for your goals.

What the other guys have said about just using it and letting your experience show you the rigs short comings is solid advice.
I got ya. I am meticulous about my maintenance. I have a Porsche 944.2 that I have worked on everything. My good friend tells me that I'm the only one he knows that could keep a car running like that and it's the only one he's ever seen on the road still running. It's my daily driver most days and I have over 325k miles on it. It runs like a top...

Do you think I could get 285x70x17 tires to fit on the stock set up. I don't mind having to rip the running boards off. What do you think?

No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom