Winch Control Box: Where Did You Mount it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for ideas on where to mount my control box.

Please share your reasoning and photos if you have them!

I made a bracket out of some random metal in my garage to mount mine behind my bumper. I know people also mount them near the power steering reservoir as well, especially with an aftermarket bumper

IMG_0705.png

IMG_0711.png

Used the empty space next to the air box and ps reservoir. The Badlands Apex control box is huge, so I had to trim the excess off the sides. Secured with 2 bolts going through the fender sheet metal and the supplied relocation bracket. Easily accessible should the remote batteries die, and it's protected enough where it doesn't get too wet too often.

20201205_143234.jpg

Same Badlands winch as these guys. I also mounted my control box in the same spot as in post #3 above. Slightly different mounting solution but basically the same end result.

I've had it installed for ~3.5 years - zero issues.

I didn’t want to run power for a winch from the battery to a control box on the passenger side. I disassembled my apex badlands control box, and mounted the required pieces on the same panel that holds my switch / fuse box.
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0408.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately, the passenger side near the PS reservoir is already occupied by a relocated washer fluid tank.

@drowzyGX - Is your wired controller plug open to elements? Mine is sealed by the control box casing. Guess I could get some type of rubber cover, but I'm curious how you addressed this. My set up is very similar to yours, so this might be my best option.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately, the passenger side near the PS reservoir is already occupied by a relocated washer fluid tank.

@drowzyGX - Is your wired controller plug open to elements? Mine is sealed by the control box casing. Guess I could get some type of rubber cover, but I'm curious how you addressed this. My set up is very similar to yours, so this might be my best option.
I did not include the wired controller plug. I have a number of ways to charge the wireless controller, and didn’t want to wire both the plug and the switch to toggle wired / wireless.

Totally get that others might not want to rely on this setup, but I’m doubtful I’ll run into a situation where I can’t charge that controller on the go if needed.

Can you charge the badlands apex wireless controller? I thought you just replaced the batteries. Inside are just 2 standard CR2032 batteries.

Can you charge the badlands apex wireless controller? I thought you just replaced the batteries. Inside are just 2 standard CR2032 batteries.
Ha! You are correct. I assumed it was rechargeable and would work with my myriad cables, adapters, and the battery bank. Fortunately it takes the same battery as the key fob: CR2032, and I have a pack of about a dozen in the glovebox.

Used the empty space next to the air box and ps reservoir. The Badlands Apex control box is huge, so I had to trim the excess off the sides. Secured with 2 bolts going through the fender sheet metal and the supplied relocation bracket. Easily accessible should the remote batteries die, and it's protected enough where it doesn't get too wet too often.

View attachment 3464568
Dang, I put mine in the same spot but did not attempt to keep it in the factory box. I spent a silly amount of time remounting all of mine inside an ammo box in the same spot.

My Smittybilt control box are much smaller and I was able to mount it behind the grill with simple aluminum bracket.
IMG_20180722_162013.jpg

I made a bracket out of some random metal in my garage to mount mine behind my bumper. I know people also mount them near the power steering reservoir as well, especially with an aftermarket bumper

View attachment 3463272
What winch plate is that? Generic/universal that is adapted to the factory crash bar/frames? I like that setup and it seems lighter/cheaper than either a bumper or hidden winch mount that replaces the crash bar.

What winch plate is that? Generic/universal that is adapted to the factory crash bar/frames? I like that setup and it seems lighter/cheaper than either a bumper or hidden winch mount that replaces the crash bar.

Budbuilt hidden winch but its for the 4th gen 4runner and keeps the factory crash bars. Its the cheapest one on the market at least when I bought and it works perfectly. Only caveat is you need to come up with 2" fairlead spacers as the front bumper is farther forward than the 4runner. I just welded a bunch of the scrap metal junk in my garage together an then drilled a hole though it. Its been working perfectly for 3 years now and I've put it though its paces in the east coast rocks

Budbuilt hidden winch but its for the 4th gen 4runner and keeps the factory crash bars. Its the cheapest one on the market at least when I bought and it works perfectly. Only caveat is you need to come up with 2" fairlead spacers as the front bumper is farther forward than the 4runner. I just welded a bunch of the scrap metal junk in my garage together an then drilled a hole though it. Its been working perfectly for 3 years now and I've put it though its paces in the east coast rocks
Thanks! Might go that route - TBD. Honestly I like the OEM front bumper look on these.

This is a good thread with more info if you want to go that way

I used this. Tight install but works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom