Newbie Here... If you only had $$$ what would you spend it on first??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well boys and girls, it’s official, I picked up my GX470 yesterday! I’m now a part of the crew, I guess. Lol
I pulled off all the skid plates and engine covers today to pressure wash the 196k miles of crud off, and so I could see where all the leaks are coming from.
Here is what I found that needs to be replaced before I start my build: valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, oil cooler seal, both cv boots blown, as well as the boots on the steering rack, lower control arm bushings torn, and the suspension looks to be the original (gonna replace that anyways)... I think that is all. Lol

But... The engine, transmission, transfer case, driveline components all feel like they did when it was new.
I’ll post pictures in a bit.

Welcome to the asylum!

Well boys and girls, it’s official, I picked up my GX470 yesterday! I’m now a part of the crew, I guess. Lol
I pulled off all the skid plates and engine covers today to pressure wash the 196k miles of crud off, and so I could see where all the leaks are coming from.
Here is what I found that needs to be replaced before I start my build: valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, oil cooler seal, both cv boots blown, as well as the boots on the steering rack, lower control arm bushings torn, and the suspension looks to be the original (gonna replace that anyways)... I think that is all. Lol

But... The engine, transmission, transfer case, driveline components all feel like they did when it was new.
I’ll post pictures in a bit.
Tip for you...buy OEM steering rack boots. I tried the RockAuto aftermarket ones and they do not fit. The part number for them was identical to AutoZone/etc, so those won't fit either.

CVJ sells reman Toyota steering racks and they include OEM inner tie rod ends, so if you're suspicious at all of your rack that'd be something to consider.

lowrange offroad has awesome rack bellows as well.

I think the OEM rack boots are prone to fail with age, the PO of my truck had the entire rack replaced at a Lexus dealer just a few thousand miles before I got it (under 100k). I feel blessed to have inherited all those new parts and fluid.

I run 285 70 17s with a body mount chop, 2.5" lift and aftermarket wheels. I don't rub at all but I did when I first put them on. I rubbed the body mount ever so slightly at just the right angle. I pulled my running boards and installed sliders so I can only imagine that would cause issues too.
That said, I believe you could fit 285's without a lift if you were willing to remove your body cladding, running boards and do a BMC and get a more aggressive offset wheel but that's a lot of work for 33's.
I wish I would have gotten 255/80/17's but I still would have done a lift if I did.

Here are some pics. right after I brought her home.
21AA9640-7514-40D7-AC8C-24C8CD8B3044.jpeg
68AFF416-44F9-48B5-8EB6-A42D7223CD52.jpeg
48CE5364-499B-4ACF-B67C-D60F8F712F55.jpeg
8CD0B470-DF01-4A2F-912B-39F8F95CAADC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom