What motor oil do you use in your GX470? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tech I asked at a Lexus dealer said that they use Valvoline conventional 5W-30 for older models like a GX470. He said synthetic would also work, but that I should stick to one or the other.

I'm having a hard time finding conventional 5W-30 Valvoline that isn't listed for twice what it should cost. What do you use?

Valvoline doesn't make a normal conventional that I'm aware if. The white bottle oil is semi-synthetic. I personally use Mobil 1 5W30 high mileage (full synthetic). If you want to use Valvoline I'd suggest the red bottle Max Life HM, which is also semi-synthetic.

Castrol high mileage blend 5W30, with OEM filter. Usually go around 7k miles or so but ultimately just aim to change oil once a year depending on how much it actually gets driven.

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting the idea that Valvoline discontinued its conventional 5W-30, and that's what's causing the high prices on whatever stock of it is left. I'll give the Valvoline Max Life HM a try.

I always put Castrol Edge (High Mileage)! Seeing some of the offroaders put their rigs what they go through and using myself for a while now, I can easily say I trust it. Lasting through everything I have put my car through. I usually do oil changes about 500 miles early as well to make sure everything is always fresh.

If you are looking for a conventional oil, go to the Toyota dealership and buy the Toyota Genuine 5W30, I just did this weekend, got it for $5.65/qt.
I didn't know about that option - thank you! And thanks to everyone else who took the time to comment.

Agreed, comparable with big box stores.

I get almost all of my fluids at Wal-Mart, as they are usually 20-40% cheaper than anyone else. Oil/fluids are usually about the only reason I go there. 5-quart jugs of semi-synthetic (Valvoline white bottle or red bottle high mileage) are usually $17-20; Mobil 1 full-synthetic runs from $25-30 depending on which flavor you get.

Kirkland Signature synthetic 5W-30

230k miles

I agree with the tech on sticking with either conventional or synthetic.
I chose synthetic because I can go twice the miles before change (usually 9-10k miles). So in the long run, it costs less. (I also test the oil via Blackstone occasionally. 2UZ is easy on oils).
I use Costco Kirkland synthetic.

I was a die hard Mobil guy but switched to the Kirkland synthetic in both of my trucks due to cost. Zero complaints and do 5k changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom