Newbie here - Fair price for 2000 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning All
In the market for a 'new to me' LC and since I know these vehicles hold their value quite well, I figured I'd come to the experts since the likes of Edmunds and KBB seem to be useless. I scoured the Classifieds to get an idea of what these things are going for. In general, what do you suppose is a fair price for a SoCal 2000 LC which is clean, with full maintenance history at 130k miles.
Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you may be able to provide.

Well, I just saw this post after I posted below. Sooooooo I might be out of line:bang:

2002 Land Cruiser for sale in California

From my dated experience (bought 2 yrs ago) and what I've heard on the street, if you get that at under $15k, that is a fair deal w possible steal.

Being CA car WITH full history (timing belt/water pump right?), and assumed minimal to zero rust, don't hesitate.

W/R to history, full history is per toyota service web sight, right? If not, demand receipts.

I'm sure your research of current classifieds supports this.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
I was happy to pay $10k for my rust free 2000 LC from Vegas 3 years ago with over 200k miles.

The salt used on roads in the winter in Wisconsin just leaves most really rusty in this area.

Last edited:
a SoCal 2000 LC which is clean, with full maintenance history at 130k miles.

Everything about what you describe is pretty rare. That's incredibly low miles for a 2000 and a Southern Ca vehicles with no rust and full history makes it much more rare. I would say it's one of those rare vehicles that is really worth whatever you're willing to pay to get it. Hopefully, for you, the seller doesn't know what they have. Good luck!

I paid $17k for my 2000. Watched it turn over 90k on the way home from Ft. Collins, CO. Rust free, all maintenance current, new tires, good leather, lift, and nice stereo/remote start/b up cam.

They were asking 19k

They are all over the board depending on condition and maintenance. As stated already 10-13 not out of line.

They are all over the board depending on condition and maintenance. As stated already 10-13 not out of line.
All...thanks so much for your responses. I just went and looked at the vehicle, it looks and sounds totally solid. Has full maintenance history, tires are prob 75%, just some cosmetic damage on the bumpers. I would have bought it on the spot, however I do see a leak. When under the vehicle, you can notice the oil building up just a bit around one of the bolts (see pics). It looks to me like its coming from the left valve cover gasket (see pic). After driving it for about 15 mins, we opened the hood and you could see some smoke coming from where the exhaust meets up to the left exhaust manifold...but it wasn't exhaust smell, definitely an oil burning smell....which i think is coming from the left valve cover. Assuming the leak is from the valve cover, I don't think thats such a big deal. My question to you all you experts though is this...."If it's not the valve cover gasket, where else can the leak be coming from and what do the extent of those repairs look like.

Thanks in advance for your help.
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG

Am I nuts or is that a ton of rust for a Socal truck?

My 07 that's seen 3 midwest winters doesn't even look nearly as bad.

Make sure to run the VIN at Toyota & carfax. I see a few things that don't match with SOCA Rig with 130K miles. It may all be explainable but do use caution here.

Make sure to run the VIN at Toyota & carfax. I see a few things that don't match with SOCA Rig with 130K miles. It may all be explainable but do use caution here.
I did run the VIN on Toyota.com and got the full maintenance history. Seller also had supplemental receipts for other work not done at Toyota. In regards to the comment about the rust...perhaps it's because the vehicle has spent the majority of its life on Coronado (sea air causing rust?). There are no signs of rust on body panels, windshield frame, etc....

I did run the VIN on Toyota.com and got the full maintenance history. Seller also had supplemental receipts for other work not done at Toyota. In regards to the comment about the rust...perhaps it's because the vehicle has spent the majority of its life on Coronado (sea air causing rust?). There are no signs of rust on body panels, windshield frame, etc....
What's the worst case for the leak?

So milage lined up with Toyota.com!

Head cover gaskets are no big deal.

Newer looking plastic in one fender wheel, why!
Newer looking bolt in other fender wheel, why!
Not bad things just, i've seen mileage that didn't match with Toyota or carfax. So when I see low milage and different signs that aren't generally associated with 130K miles I look deeper.

Rust on bolts is issue for anyone who wrenches. If from salt air, may also be in body panels.

I'd not pay a premium price for the rust I see.

I just bought my 1999 100 for $10k. 115k miles, no rust issues. 1 owner. I bought it from a used car dealer that bought it from an auction. The bumpers were banged up, but nothing steel bumpers cant fix. The most important thing was there was no mechanical issues and no major rust issues.
With that being said, I cant find one on craigslist in northern california with less than 200k miles for less than $10k

I just bought my 1999 100 for $10k. 115k miles, no rust issues. 1 owner. I bought it from a used car dealer that bought it from an auction. The bumpers were banged up, but nothing steel bumpers cant fix. The most important thing was there was no mechanical issues and no major rust issues.
With that being said, I cant find one on craigslist in northern california with less than 200k miles for less than $10k
Wow gentleman, that seems to be some good detective work in regards to the plastics...clearly I'm new at this. I did bring a magnet and checked all the panels, all the panels also had the VIN stickers.
SFGIANTS, that seems to be a smoking deal for what I've seen going in Cali thus far.

A mixture of really rusty bolts and brand new ones is a red flag. Overall the rust is much more than
would be expected for a San Diego LC even on Coronado.

A mixture of really rusty bolts and brand new ones is a red flag. Overall the rust is much more than
would be expected for a San Diego LC even on Coronado.

I would not be to concerned with that if all else looks ok. Some service departments are way over zealous on selling extras during visit. Their used to be a shop here in Twin Cities that sold every brake job new backing plates....may not hurt to ask about it but I don't think it is a big deal.

I bought my So-Cal cruiser for 8k, which I thought was fair given the couple of issues I thought it had (needed a radiator, clutch fan, etc. etc.). No rust and decent leather with 180k on the clock. Mileage checked out, and there were some recent maint records from the PO. My timing belt being done 40k ago being the big one.

The bad news was the PO ran the trans low and did some internal damage. So even after a new trans I am likely into the rig 11k which isn't horrible. the 10-13k range is a good rule of thumb for current so-cal prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom