Newbie with 2000 LC 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there,

This is my first LC, first forum, first ever post, and first ever real mechanic work other than an oil change, so a complete newbie here for sure! I've been perusing the forum for a while, and it has been a tremendous help, so thanks to all who contribute. Not sure if I should start a separate build thread like I read somewhere, but just let me know what best practice is.

I got this 2000 LC with 174k miles sight unseen- other than some photos. The body is very clean and rust-free as it is a FL truck. Found out that it had some bad CVs, leaking rack and pinion, leaking coolant hoses upon arrival, and an empty power steering reservoir. Anyway, I have it now, and it's a father-son project. The plan is to turn it into an overland rig over time. I have 285/75/17 tires to go on it and did the pinch weld fold already, even though the plan is to list it. I was eager to get started, so I pulled off the wheels and, through the help of the forum here and YouTube, got the CV's out, drained oil and coolant, and cleaned all the grease from the frame and control arms. I have a new Ironman Foam Pro Stage 2 kit to install, but I didn't get my initial ride height before disconnecting everything, so I will need some help figuring out how to set everything at the right height going back in. I have a bunch of OEM Parts ordered and new Nitro Upper Control arms (on sale) on the way as the UCA bearings are shot. I plan to do the bearings, but not right away; need to get it back on the road and inspected first.

While underneath doing the coolant drain, the connector in the fifth picture (circled area) was disconnected and crumbled in my hand. Does anyone know where I could find this part? I also noticed the front grill side holders are broken; is there any good solution that anyone can recommend other than new lights?

IMG_3851.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

Bad CV.jpeg

IMG_4046.jpg

Broken grill holders at lights.jpeg

If The connector that wasn’t connected and disintegrated in your hand is near the driver side block drain tube it’s nothing to worry about and should remain disconnected.

If heater tee’s weren’t included on your first parts order prob a good idea to replace those while you’re refreshing the cooling system.

To fix the headlight mounts remove the headlight and you will see a cavity behind the mount which you can fill with resin I drilled and inserted a couple of small cross pins to hold the resin together. Then make an L-shaped plate that duplicates the top of the mount and drill out the hole for mounting and another for a small self-tapping screw to bind the plate to the mounting and into the resin

Thanks, @leveeguy. Yes, new heater Ts are on the way from Witts End. That connector part is no longer available, per the Toyota parts guy. Zip tie instead! Seems like new lights are the only solution for grill mounting tabs, so I may epoxy a temporary plastic angle to hold the grill more securely for now as I figure out if I want to get new lights.

I got a lot of parts yesterday, and the rack and pinon are out and nearly all back in, a pain, for sure, but I am happy I was able to achieve that. Need to get a new bushing for it though.

I have a weep from the transmission oil pan, and the seal on the inspection plate also crumbled on removal. I checked the Toyota parts pages online but can't find a replacement plate. How concerned should I be about that?

Thanks @Fairgame for the top on the lights.If The connector that wasn’t connected and disintegrated in your hand is near the driver side block drain tube it’s nothing to worry about and should remain disconnected.
If heater tee’s weren’t included on your first parts order prob a good idea to replace those while you’re refre
shing the cooling system.

02EBAE61-1A76-45FC-A442-5B9B505BA024_4_5005_c.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.18.33 AM.png
6622EE9E-F402-4138-92C5-4109C6C26495_4_5005_c.jpeg

Had five large passengers yesterday! Rear 285/75 R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 17x8.5 Icon Alloys Compression Bronze on so far. Looks better already!

Do you have any more pictures of the wheels on the truck? I'm considering the Compressions for my LX470 but wanted to see the stance. Were any spacers necessary? Thanks!
Here are a few more photos. I since took of the fender flairs and didnt use any spacers but these had a 25mm offset. I did the Ironman lift kit which raised the stance. Don’t think it would have rubbed but I had done the pinch weld fold before putting the new tires on.
IMG_4427.jpeg
IMG_4426.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom