new use for factory roof racks etc.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
I have been thinking that perhaps we can find a use for discarded 80 factory running boards, front bumpers and roof racks by using them to create a gigantic monument. I am thinking of maybe a 442 feet high giant T standing tall over Moab dramatically facing down a puny 343 foot high toyota squiggle logo. We could build an amphitheatre using third row seats to enjoy the spectacle.

I think I have almost enough extra p clamps left over from the diff breather install to put this together, but donations would help

so this is the second post on this page complaining about the factory roof racks....why? I just bought an 80 without the rack and wouldn't mind having one....unless you convince me otherwise. Thanks

I'll hand mine over to you if you can fix all the damage it has caused...

Safado, where the OEM rack meets the roof is the only place that you are guaranteed to have rust, even in areas of the country where cars just don't ever rust. Get an aftermarket guttermount rack, it will likely be stronger and you won't destroy your roof, plus I think they look better.

Ahh, is that the only reason? Good enough for me, but just wondering. I totally agreee with firetruck41, just don't have the $ for one yet and wanted something while I pick up a paper route to help pay for it! :-\

That's the main reason. Don't put a factory rack on, unless you want to drill 8 holes into your pristine roof and commence rusting your roof right away :( . If you do use it, remember to save an extra $1k plus roof rack money, for sheetmetal repair and respray of the roof :p Ask Cdan :eek:

Anybody who installs a factory roof rack on purpose is dumber than a post. Mine already had the rust breeding POS on it when it came in, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.

D-

Mine was removed and the holes sealed when I bought mine.

Looks like they used marine grade putty of some sort...had my truck for a long time in a lot of rain and still no rust so they must have done it right.

I wish I could have no holes at all.... :'(

Does the rear wind deflector (the lip over the rear window) installed by the dealer cause the same maladies with its install??

eric

Dunno, I'm lucky enough not to have one. Pop it off and look under the feet.

Those feet on that rear wind POS will rub away your paint after time. And heck, it just gets in the way when your climbing on the roof to load stuff, via the tailgate.

It's purpose is retarded anyhow....HUCK it..or better yet, give it to Rogue for his moab statue.

My cruiser had no roof rack....yeehhaaa

and I immediately chucked the rear wind thing and the one for the sun roof. they are crapo

Jeff

[quote author=Photo_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=5381;start=msg42541#msg42541 date=1063901139]
Those feet on that rear wind POS will rub away your paint after time. And heck, it just gets in the way when your climbing on the roof to load stuff, via the tailgate.

It's purpose is retarded anyhow....HUCK it..or better yet, give it to Rogue for his moab statue.

My cruiser had no roof rack....yeehhaaa

and I immediately chucked the rear wind thing and the one for the sun roof. they are crapo

Jeff
[/quote]

thanks for this, jeff -- did you just put the screws back in after you took the wing off, or did you seal 'em??

-- and BTW, what IS the purpose of that thing??

eric

Are you talking about the rear wind deflector? ??? If so, that pushes the wind down the rear window, and keep water spray and dirt/dust off of the rear window. They work pretty good, too. I'd keep it.

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=5381;start=msg42596#msg42596 date=1063907768]
Are you talking about the rear wind deflector? ??? If so, that pushes the wind down the rear window, and keep water spray and dirt/dust off of the rear window. They work pretty good, too. I'd keep it.
[/quote]

yup, that's what i was talking about, wob -- i thought it helped keep my read end on the pavement... jk... :)

anyway, i don't want to mess with the screws too much -- too much in and out with them might make the situation worse -- :whoops: :whoops:

eric :cheers:

>> They work pretty good, too. I'd keep it. <<

I agree. My plans are to attach two work lights (ala IdahoDoug's) using the screws where the deflector mounts to the roof brackets. A longer set of SS screws should work fine and we may be able to enter the hatch via existing holes for the deflector brackets. May need to drill a hole in the bracket for the wiring but that is less invasive than another pair of holes in the rear hatch or the roof.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom