New Tundra vs LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that this applies to Tundra or Cruisers, but since we're talking about diesels. IMO compared to modern gassers, diesels are not really desirable for an off-roader. They're drivetrains are really heavy taking up payload. As they are commonly turbo'd, response is poor. And torque isn't really what most understand it to be because it's really about wheel torque which gearing can provide. Last knock is relative to weight and packaging, diesels make poor HP. And HP is what really matters for climbs, sand, and moving all that armor and payload down the freeway.

Where they earn their keep today is efficiency. Fuel prices have unfortunately taken away parts of that advantage.

Then add in emissions complexity and reliability... Their time has come and gone.

Not that this applies to Tundra or Cruisers, but since we're talking about diesels. IMO compared to modern gassers, diesels are not really desirable for an off-roader. They're drivetrains are really heavy taking up payload. As they are commonly turbo'd, response is poor. And torque isn't really what most understand it to be because it's really about wheel torque which gearing can provide. Last knock is relative to weight and packaging, diesels make poor HP. And HP is what really matters for climbs, sand, and moving all that armor and payload down the freeway.

Where they earn their keep today is efficiency. Fuel prices have unfortunately taken away parts of that advantage.

Then add in emissions complexity and reliability... Their time has come and gone.
Yes, Cummins 6bt is a “big” engine. It’s not for a trail rig persay…but for a power wagon sized rig, it’s something.

I don’t know enough about diesels to know what the Cummins 6bt of small lightweight simple diesels would be.

To me the diesel shines if you gear tall and don’t worry too much about it “performing” like a modern engine.

For a trail rig, get the right lightweight and small package (aluminum 3 liter turbo diesel perhaps) and you can get in the 30 mpg range…in a relatively simple engine that will, with a snorkel, run underwater.

Yes, Cummins 6bt is a “big” engine. It’s not for a trail rig persay…but for a power wagon sized rig, it’s something.

I don’t know enough about diesels to know what the Cummins 6bt of small lightweight simple diesels would be.

To me the diesel shines if you gear tall and don’t worry too much about it “performing” like a modern engine.

For a trail rig, get the right lightweight and small package (aluminum 3 liter turbo diesel perhaps) and you can get in the 30 mpg range…in a relatively simple engine that will, with a snorkel, run underwater.

But it would only make 180hp and the aluminum block would take away some of the rigidity that makes them so robust in the first place.

On a lot of levels I’m with Teckis, pragmatically I think their time has come and gone, for many uses. Our love affair with them is based on not actually having them, in many cases. I will say that the off-idle torque of the 3L 1KZ in my 4runner was great on trails around Ouray. However it only made something like 130hp so if wheel speed was required like in mud or sand.. nope.

Now, as for tundra discussion.. is toyota offering it with their v6 diesel in any markets?

Is it possible to remove all the emissions nonsense from a 2012 so you get the upgraded safety equipment?

It is definitely possible, but appears cracking down on this is a point of emphasis for the environmental police as of late.

This is the 200 section so lets not go off on a tangent please

Your friendly moderator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom