New Tundra vs LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look underneath…..it’s a joke. Evidence of cost cutting and poor engineering everywhere.
Really? like what? You’re telling me that the axle, frame, control arms, etc are weaker/smaller?

I need to peak under one!

If I was in the market for a truck, then I would buy Ford F150 Hybrid with Pro Power 7.2kW generator. Period. No argument needed. It is probably the most useful vehicle on the planet. 24 MPG. 12k tow capability. Luxurious. And can power your whole darn house in a power outage!!
I
That’s a joke, right? Absolute piece of junk.

geez, they still dip those frames! It will rust asap. Did you notice the wax bubbles on bottom of rear frame. I like the fact the Ford f-150 uses aluminum frames.

I

geez, they still dip those frames! It will rust asap. Did you notice the wax bubbles on bottom of rear frame. I like the fact the Ford f-150 uses aluminum frames.

They use steel frames….

or buy an early 2000’s (pre Def) diesel Ford or Ram. Most likely a 2500 and 2WD.
Have you checked the prices for those? If they aren’t ground into dust yet they make 200 prices seem reasonable.

That’s a joke, right? Absolute piece of junk.

Thanks for that link. Outside of the frame height for it's primary mission as a load bearing truck, the suspension parts and various structural elements look like toys in comparison. Considering the cruiser is shorter and generally smaller than a full size truck, it's that much more robustness.

Have you checked the prices for those? If they aren’t ground into dust yet they make 200 prices seem reasonable.
Many of my buddies are unloading their extra vehicles with these crazy prices. My cousin sold his very clean 2003 Ram 2500 diesel 125k miles for $42k. He was pretty sure that was $7-10k more then he paid for it new 19 years ago.

Thanks for that link. Outside of the frame height for it's primary mission as a load bearing truck, the suspension parts and various structural elements look like toys in comparison. Considering the cruiser is shorter and generally smaller than a full size truck, it's that much more robustness.
I’m not so sure the frame is beefier. It appears to be thinner with not near the lateral reinforcement of the cruiser.

Once you look under a Cruiser and see plastic/metal guards specific to wiring harnesses, brake lines, and other sensitive components coupled with the shear size of everything. ….You see how other manufacturers cut costs.

On the GM, I noticed the exhaust routed directly under the transmission which can’t be good for heat soak. The Cruiser single piece banjo rear axle as opposed to the 3 piece rear axle of the GM. The list goes on and on,……

I’m not so sure the frame is beefier. It appears to be thinner with not near the lateral reinforcement of the cruiser.

Once you look under a Cruiser and see plastic/metal guards specific to wiring harnesses, brake lines, and other sensitive components coupled with the shear size of everything. ….You see how other manufacturers cut costs.

On the GM, I noticed the exhaust routed directly under the transmission which can’t be good for heat soak. The Cruiser single piece banjo rear axle as opposed to the 3 piece rear axle of the GM. The list goes on and on,……
Have you looked under the newer Navigator? Curious to hear your thoughts on it. I’m guessing it’s a Ford Expedition frame.

I would lean towards a 2011-2012 because that’s when most of the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups got rollover stability control, which was a significant safety upgrade. Fatality statistics bear this out. Vehicles without it tend to rollover and rollovers tend to kill people.

If I was forced to build an ultimate pickup, I’d probably get an extended cab 2008 or so tundra, have the frame boxed in, and swap in a 200 series transfer case.

But the thing about pickups is that a 200 is basically a super short wheelbase 4 door pickup with an integrated camper shell, third row, and more sound deadening material…which, when coupled with a nice trailer, exceeds the overall utility of a pickup IMO.
2009 was the last pre-DEF model year for diesel light duty trucks in the US. Running costs, maintenance, and emissions related repairs skyrocket after that. For a working hauling truck, pre-MY2010 diesel is the sweet spot.

Have any of you current LC200 USA owners considered adding a new Tundra to your garage or switching to one? Curious since I have been enamored with the LC200 for a while and need a newer vehicle but am also considering the new Tundra.

Thank you in advance!
I just sold my 2020 Tundra TRD Pro And bought a 2021 HE
I have talked myself out of a Land Cruiser for the last 10 years and finally decided that I was going to get what I wanted. Everyones need are different but if you don’t need the truck bed than I would go with the Land Cruiser, you won’t regret it

2009 was the last pre-DEF model year for diesel light duty trucks in the US. Running costs, maintenance, and emissions related repairs skyrocket after that. For a working hauling truck, pre-MY2010 diesel is the sweet spot.
07+ will still have a DPF though right? NOx reduction handled with LNT vs SCR of the DEF rigs, but still a lot of extra egr and other complexity compared to 06 and prior..

Is it possible to remove all the emissions nonsense from a 2012 so you get the upgraded safety equipment?

Is it possible to remove all the emissions nonsense from a 2012 so you get the upgraded safety equipment?
There is a big market for “deletes” on these vehicles. The epa/carb has been tracking down the companies that produce them but the demand is still there.. which means a supply will usually emerge.

Thing is even when they are deleted there is still more stuff to break, and the engines were designed for the emissions stuff with things like lower compression ratios, which make them not quite as efficient as the older engines.

There is a big market for “deletes” on these vehicles. The epa/carb has been tracking down the companies that produce them but the demand is still there.. which means a supply will usually emerge.

Thing is even when they are deleted there is still more stuff to break, and the engines were designed for the emissions stuff with things like lower compression ratios, which make them not quite as efficient as the older engines.
I didn’t know about the lower compression rate stuff. Too bad.

Perfect truck would be something like a classic 6bt dropped into a modern pickup with modern safety features intact/functional. Get the safety and the engine simplicity.

I think that late 90’s Cummins was the perfect “big” engine.

I’ve researched here and there about Cummins drop in’s…they tend to nix all the traction control safety stuff (like rollover stability control).

Perfect truck would be something like a classic 6bt dropped into a modern pickup with modern safety features intact/functional. Get the safety and the engine simplicity.

I’ve researched here and there about Cummins drop in’s…they tend to nix all the traction control safety stuff (like rollover stability control).
Yeah I suspect those fundamental design changes required by the emissions junk is a major reason engine builders wouldn’t make emissions-free power units for fire apparatus even if they were allowed to. They’ve invested so heavily in optimizing the combustion chamber and valve ports for that CR so that removing the emissions stuff alone wouldn’t result in the efficiency gains they could achieve.

Which is a shame.. If they’d combine the older high compression ratios with the newer common rail injection technologies they could see the pinnacle of efficiency out of these engines. But they’d be producing a s*** ton of NOx (smog) in the process.

I’m personally curious whether these diesel emissions technologies will mature into a reliable and cost effective state one day. Look at how much crap had to be attached to a gas engine in the 80s vs what is on a much cleaner 700hp hellcat now. Thing is it looks like BEVs will shift the discussion before that has a chance to happen.

As for engine swaps.. I’ve done a couple, including a JDM toyota diesel into a 4runner. I won’t be doing anymore, unless we are talking a project car or toy of some kind like an exocet. Even with having the technical capability it just isn’t worth it in the end from a cost and usability perspective, personally. I’ve learned a lot, including that for me it makes more sense to sacrifice whatever attributes I dislike upfront, vs take on an albeit interesting and fun project that inevitably costs twice what I anticipate, most of which I won’t recover, and always ends up with some sacrifices in the end. Like the stability control you’ve been talking about.

Just thought of something else. The right person could do it.

Years ago someone from Kazakhstan (I think) posted in the 80series section about putting a Mercedes OM648 into their 80. The problem at the time was you couldn’t make the engine run standalone as the ECU looked for inputs from the transmission controller, ABS/VSC, and other systems. Well it turns out some ex-Soviet aerospace engineer that worked for the hammer and sickle version of NASA was a couple of towns over and was able to get into the Mercedes ECU and modify it sufficiently.

There would be a commercial market for services like this, but the guy lives in a small town in Kazakhstan.

Put him on dropping a 2006 24-valve into a modern chassis and I’m betting it could happen. But he’s in Kazakhstan…

Just gotta find the right person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom