New Troopy Engine Choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I originally posted this in the Expedition forum, but guess it suits general tech much more.

So, I'm starting with a blank canvas, have most of the pieces lined up, and about to transfer a big wedge of cash to a man who can get me a 78 Series new in Dubai.

But... am I making a big mistake ordering the VDJ over the HDJ (which I believe are still available new here) or even the GR& 4.0 petrol?

I had planned on using here in the region for the next 2-3 years, then travelling through Iran or Saudi, back to the UK. But recently been thinking Africa (a bit of a Troopy cliche) as a route back to the UK.

If the VDJ that intolerant to low quality fuel? Even with the secondary diesel filter? Or is it more sulphur content?

Help me before I dump a butt load of cash and regret it forever.

1vd ftv and don't look back. They seem to have survived just fine, you see many examples with 400k+kms on them in aus now. They are actually quite reliable and dependable despite some peoples concern when they first came out.

The 1VD-FTV will be fine with lower quality diesel.

These guys did all 7 continents with the 1VD-FTV and had zero engine issues.

Home - Expeditions7

@cruiseroutfit can probably shed more light on the reliability of the 1VD-FTV.

The route they took in Africa would hardly have exposed them to any low quality diesel - having said that, the general quality/availability good of diesel is improving all the time so ..... for me, it would depend on price per unit and fuel consumption between the 1HD-T vs 1 VD-FTV.

1VD all the way, if that was an option in the US, they wouldn't be able to keep any on the shelf.

But... am I making a big mistake ordering the VDJ over the HDJ (which I believe are still available new here) or even the GR& 4.0 petrol?

Im pretty sure you can not get the old turbo 6 cyl , only the 1HZ.

1vd ftv and don't look back. They seem to have survived just fine, you see many examples with 400k+kms on them in aus now. They are actually quite reliable and dependable despite some peoples concern when they first came out.

Survived in Australia, where fuel is very good quality. I'm in a country where the fuel isn't as good, and planning on travelling places where the fuel is likely to be worse.

The route they took in Africa would hardly have exposed them to any low quality diesel - having said that, the general quality/availability good of diesel is improving all the time so ..... for me, it would depend on price per unit and fuel consumption between the 1HD-T vs 1 VD-FTV.

Current thoughts are a similar route - from East (Tanzania) to West (Namibia) then South (Cape Town).

1VD all the way, if that was an option in the US, they wouldn't be able to keep any on the shelf.

Again, fuel in the US is very high quality. I'm just concerned about quality across the Middle East (Dubai is ok, but dropping in Saudi etc) and Africa.

Are there any fuel additives on the market, like there used to be when they removed 4* for unleaded?

You're right, I did indeed mean the 1HZ.

Now that changes everything ... 1VD all the way with a 180L Aux tank to replace the 90L OEM aux and with 270L in total, you should have the range to avoid the bad diesel stops ! :)

Again, fuel in the US is very high quality. I'm just concerned about quality across the Middle East (Dubai is ok, but dropping in Saudi etc) and Africa.

Are there any fuel additives on the market, like there used to be when they removed 4* for unleaded?

Bad fuel comes in 3 types
1 it has heating oil added which is unrefined diesel
2 it has water added to make up the volume
3 it has dirt or other solid impurities from poor handling

No additive will fix that. A higher grade of filtration and water alarms are the best and only way to combat it. If you get small amounts water/moisture in the common rail fuel injection pump and it sits there overnight, it could damage the pump. $10k

Bad fuel comes in 3 types
1 it has heating oil added which is unrefined diesel
2 it has water added to make up the volume
3 it has dirt or other solid impurities from poor handling

No additive will fix that. A higher grade of filtration and water alarms are the best and only way to combat it. If you get small amounts water/moisture in the common rail fuel injection pump and it sits there overnight, it could damage the pump. $10k

Thanks - thats invaluable feedback.

I have the secondary diesel filter from Perth Diesel Performance, so hopefully that should go most of the way to helping at least with points 2 and 3 on a VDJ or HZJ

Something with an audible warning for detection of water in the fuel is best. There are some that shut the fuel automatically.

One thing about additives, some of them emulsify the fuel and water and it all goes through the injection pump and out the exhaust. Im not sure if this could hurt the common rail pump.
Good news , the injection pump is about $4-5k US now. Toyota dealers over charge for things like that.

Something with an audible warning for detection of water in the fuel is best. There are some that shut the fuel automatically.

One thing about additives, some of them emulsify the fuel and water and it all goes through the injection pump and out the exhaust. Im not sure if this could hurt the common rail pump.
Good news , the injection pump is about $4-5k US now. Toyota dealers over charge for things like that.
The 1vd ftv injectors were $1000+ each aud when these cruisers came out. I do believe that the price has dropped, though not by too much.

I reckon that rhe 1hz would be unbearable after awhile, because they are dreadfully slow, especially with any kind of weight. The stock 1vd ftv is no powerhouse either though, but produces more power with relative ease.

I reckon that rhe 1hz would be unbearable after awhile, because they are dreadfully slow, especially with any kind of weight.

Ive driven my HZJ75 troopy and ute through the northern goldfields and central Australia many times. Most of the time you are doing 80kph on the dirt roads or graded roads.
A v8 would be nicer, but in isolated areas you dont have to stop and start very often like you do in the city. A 1HZ just trundles along easily even with a 1000kgs on board.
It would be my choice for going to isolated areas or areas where technology is not easily fixed. But I think the owner maybe going to use on high ways as well
Last I heard the injectors were $700. Much of the cost was because Toyota were the only ones who could program the injectors. But someone predicted the code would be cracked and diesel shops would be able to do it.

image.jpeg

@Indestructible 47 ..... "I reckon that rhe 1hz would be unbearable after awhile, because they are dreadfully slow, especially with any kind of weight."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1HZ doesn't have to be slow. :)

Ive driven my HZJ75 troopy and ute through the northern goldfields and central Australia many times. Most of the time you are doing 80kph on the dirt roads or graded roads.
A v8 would be nicer, but in isolated areas you dont have to stop and start very often like you do in the city. A 1HZ just trundles along easily even with a 1000kgs on board.
It would be my choice for going to isolated areas or areas where technology is not easily fixed. But I think the owner maybe going to use on high ways as well
Last I heard the injectors were $700. Much of the cost was because Toyota were the only ones who could program the injectors. But someone predicted the code would be cracked and diesel shops would be able to do it.
Excellent info here. And i guess if you are doing remote travel your not exactly on a very strict time frame. In all seriousness though, if i was building a expedition rig i would most likely use a tricked up 6bt.
View attachment 1828313
@Indestructible 47 ..... "I reckon that rhe 1hz would be unbearable after awhile, because they are dreadfully slow, especially with any kind of weight."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1HZ doesn't have to be slow. :)
Now thats looking very nice. I tell u what, my turbo intercooled 1hz is no slouch and for a motor that has been turbo'ed all its life, at 375,000kms it doesn't skip a beat or burn a drop of oil. I'm running a safe 12 pound.

When turboing the 1hz, make sure that you have a good egt gauge and put the probe in pre turbo. A lot more accurate this way and seeing as its the heat that kills a 1hz...... it's a must to put an intercooler on imo.

VDJ , would be nice and is attractive, but too delicate for the ME, and Africa .
Stay on 1HZ , safe , bomb proof .
The mid way ,and best would be a HDT .
Same toughness of 1HZ , but with that extra power that allows more speed when you need it .

Bye Renago

In Africa you can get bad diesel very easily.
The centano detonation power is also low , to very low .
Depends which and were you you buy it .
Consider also that in some remote places it is sold from drums .
Shall we discuss that quality ?
HZ1 , without a doubt .
Europe,North America , Australia , is a different world .

Bye Renago

I live in zambia and we have bad fuel everywhere. Many 1VDs running around with no problems. You just got to look for a decent looking station and ur fine. Low sulphur is available.

1VD but go check out Perth Diesel Performance's additional DPF setup. They have lots of products for the 1VD and Aussie diesel is actually pretty dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom