New to me HZJ77 Pre-build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

My 1995 HZJ77 is about to arrive at the end of month from Japan, currently en route.

Here it is:

6_16656624866347fe16bf71d.jpg

8_16656624866347fe16db075.jpeg

14_16656624876347fe17182ce.jpeg

- 1995 HZJ77 ZX
- manual transmission
- PTO winch
- 361,000 km
- Minimal to no rust (from what I have seen so far)

What should I be preparing for to do on arrival before driving it anywhere?

Here is my list thus far:

- Oil change
- Flush coolant
- Flush brake fluid
- Transfer case fluid
- Front and rear diff fluid
- New tires
- Valve clearance check
- Timing belt check
- Drive belt check
- Check alternator
- Cold start exhaust check
- Compression test / Check blow by
- Check clutch
- Fuel pump test
- Clutch fluid flush
- Power steering fluid flush
- Inspect leaf springs and grease all undercarriage points
- Replace injectors potentially
- Wheel refinishing
- Deep clean interior
- Clear out sunroof drain tubes

And here are parts I plan on buying ahead of time not sure if any of theses are available on amayama/partsouq or not:

- Brake and clutch pedal covers
- Wiper arms
- Wiper blades

- Cabin filter
- Oil filters
- Crush washer oil
- Air filter
- Radiator cap

- Timing belt kit (potentially)
- Water pump kit (potentially)
- Thermostat
- Drive belt
- Fuel filter

- Batteries
- Seat covers
- Brake fluid, coolant, diff oil (maybe with LSD additive TBC), oil, clutch fluid?
- Radiator hoses
- Vacuum hoses
- Fuel hoses
- Power steering hoses
- Heater core hoses
- All bulbs (headlight, turn signal front, taillight, interior dome)
- Fender gaskets front and rear
- diff and transfer case crush washers
- brake pads
- diesel filler cap
- Battery hold downs and nuts

Any thoughts on these items or anything I missed? It is my first 70 and 1HZ.

Thanks and I am looking forward to sharing the experience with you all!

Last edited:
The 77's are taking over! Check out the multiple recent 77 build threads going on right now, lots of good info between all of them.

Hi all,

My 1995 HZJ77 is about to arrive at the end of month from Japan, currently en route.

welcome to the club, here is mine. also pretty recent owner of almost the same truck. mine is auto.

if you have not visited partsouq? grab your code and use it to get all the parts diagrams.

Congrats

When was the last timing belt change?
Depending on that I’d move timing belt and water pump up the list, full oem kits / parts.

New radiator hoses if your flushing the rad.

Looks to be in pretty good nick from the photos

Cruiser outfitters in SLC has lots of parts for the 1HZ

welcome to the club, here is mine. also pretty recent owner of almost the same truck. mine is auto.

if you have not visited partsouq? grab your code and use it to get all the parts diagrams.
Thanks for the tip, yes I have used Partsouq in the past as well as amayama, will definitely be following your build, nice 77!!!

When searching for parts for your HZJ77, a lot of interior parts and some exterior parts will show up as discontinued. It is helpful to branch out your parts search to the 76 series such as the HZJ76 or VDJ76 or even the GRJ76. Takes a bit more work to dig around and is sometimes a gamble but works out for me often.

When searching for parts for your HZJ77, a lot of interior parts and some exterior parts will show up as discontinued. It is helpful to branch out your parts search to the 76 series such as the HZJ76 or VDJ76 or even the GRJ76. Takes a bit more work to dig around and is sometimes a gamble but works out for me often.
Are the parts number generally the same though? Or different part numbers give an identical part for the 77 or 76?

Congrats

When was the last timing belt change?
Depending on that I’d move timing belt and water pump up the list, full oem kits / parts.

New radiator hoses if your flushing the rad.

Looks to be in pretty good nick from the photos

Cruiser outfitters in SLC has lots of parts for the 1HZ
Not too sure on last timing belt change, will know when I get it (assuming the cover will have a sticker as usual…), but yes I had forgotten rad hoses I have added that to my to buy list. Thanks!

I wouldn't want 30 year old hoses in the engine bay. You can do what you want.

Look up parts, order parts, take old parts off, install new parts.

Radiator hoses, fuel hoses, power steering hoses (assuming some hoses), heater core hoses (?), already had belts listed.

Anything I missed?

I have never seen a 1HZ in person before forgive my ignorance l, I know there are some SME’s on here…

Radiator hoses, fuel hoses, power steering hoses (assuming some hoses), heater core hoses (?), already had belts listed.

Anything I missed?

I have never seen a 1HZ in person before forgive my ignorance l, I know there are some SME’s on here…

That's correct. And any vacuum hoses to the vacuum booster and vacuum pump.

Can anybody recommend a good tire size for stock suspension? Might do a mild lift later, but want to get 33" approximate tires for now.
Would 255/85/16 work with stock wheels and suspension? I like the skinny tires usually but am not familiar with 70 series tire fitment.

I figured I should post this here if ever somebody else is looking for a list of Toyota part numbers to do a basic refresh of their HZJ77, I have attached a PDF of my 1,230 USD order from amayama with all the part numbers, quantities and some very basic comments I made on each part. Nearly everything I wanted to get was in stock. I am still trying to decide on tires, cruiser outfitters told me that 33" may rub at stock height, but I think that may not be the case if you go with skinny tires. If anybody has input on tires I'd appreciate any feedback.

The ship carrying the cruiser is departing the Panama Canal and on its way to Jamaica now with an ETA of March 11th. Not sure if there are anymore stops between Jamaica and Florida...

Attachments

• HZJ77 Preliminary Order.pdf
    271.9 KB · Views: 57
Congrats on the new addition and welcome to owning the best of the 70s. Nothing compares to slow uphill adventures or the general inability to pass on single lane highways. All part of a 77’s charm.

I have run 285/75/R16 BFG ATs on my 77 since 2008. I love them. They’re trusty in all sorts of weather and they’re fairly versatile. They’ve taken me off-roading in Pismo, the mountains, etc. and kept me safe on icy Canadian winter highways. With my 24v 8274 winch on the front I’m pretty much self sufficient and don’t worry about hitting the ditch if I have to.

I’m not sure about the newer 77s or if you even have a sunroof, but if you do you may want to check the drainage tube. When we were fixing up my BJ71 we found that the sunroof drained into the rocker which is less than ideal.

Congrats on the new addition and welcome to owning the best of the 70s. Nothing compares to slow uphill adventures or the general inability to pass on single lane highways. All part of a 77’s charm.

I have run 285/75/R16 BFG ATs on my 77 since 2008. I love them. They’re trusty in all sorts of weather and they’re fairly versatile. They’ve taken me off-roading in Pismo, the mountains, etc. and kept me safe on icy Canadian winter highways. With my 24v 8274 winch on the front I’m pretty much self sufficient and don’t worry about hitting the ditch if I have to.

I’m not sure about the newer 77s or if you even have a sunroof, but if you do you may want to check the drainage tube. When we were fixing up my BJ71 we found that the sunroof drained into the rocker which is less than ideal.
Thanks for the info. I am now pretty decided on the 33x10.5x15 BF Goodrich KO2... I may have gone for 33x9.5x15 but it appears this was discontinued with the KO.

I do have a sunroof yes and will definitely verify that thanks, I have added it to my list. I think I remember seeing in somebody's build thread here that it caused major rust issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom