New to FJ40 Scene

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

linke no workie

​
Gmail by Google​
​
​
Forbidden (403)


​
We’re sorry, but your current account does not have access to this page.

You may try to switch account or navigate to the home page.


​
Show Detailed Technical Info

Oh nice... I no longer have access to my own thread. Par for the course today. You would NOT believe what all has happened today. Like my grandfather said, "IF it was raining soup, all I'd be able to find is a fork." 🫤

I was trying to create a link to the mp4 video of the 40 running and idling.
 
OK, before all you haters pile on, do not waste your time. I wanted to run the exhaust out the original factory location, but since it had to be 3 inch (and yes, it had to be) it didn't look right there, so we ran it out the back. Purist, get over it because it has an LS swap & automatic overdrive transmission for medical / disability reasons.

So... here is how she sounds:

Gmail - https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=b2ca018a30&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r2146425554540606994&th=1a0b6caea65f8e30&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=1a0b6cad221866be8271&zw

Someone notified me that link is not working. I'll try to figure that out and resolve it.
 
This Week's Progress New
Exhaust done and it sounds GREAT!

Break system worked on (new lines & so on)

More paint on pieces.

See pics below:

IMG_20260920_212221.webp


IMG_20260920_212216.webp


IMG_20260920_212206.webp


IMG_20260920_212202.webp


IMG_20260920_205431.webp
 
Cruise Control? New
Has anyone out there setup cruise control on an LS swapped FJ40 with TBC (throttle by cable) and the original early FJ40 steering column? If so, please share which one you went with and how you hooked it up. We "think" on the LS harness the Green wire is the optional cruise control wire and is the Cruise Engaged, and the White wire is the Cruise Inhibit. Anything you share is appreciated.

Thanks!
 
You'll need some sort of digital speed reading (VSS in Chevy-speak) I believe. I've thought about doing that on the Paki Pig using my Dakota Digital unit (Dakota Digital makes a unit for that), but would like to see it working on someone else's 40 first.
 
Last edited:
You'll need some sort of digital speed reading (VSS in Chevy-speak) I believe. I've thought about doing that on the Paki Pig using my Dakota Digital unit (Dakota Digital makes a unit for that), but would like to see it working on someone else's 40 first.

I didn't know that Dakota Digital makes one. I will definitely look into that because I took the advice of @Jdc1 and went with the Dakota Digital RTX for the FJ40 so it will probably integrate with the instrument cluster. I know Dakota Digital also makes a Digital Climate Control unit (Vintage Air sells it) that also integrates with the RTX instrument cluster and immediately changes the color of the illumination to match what you have set on the instrument cluster on your phone app, and matches the brightness. And, the Digital Climate Control can be mounted horizontally, or vertically, and it will adjust itself sort of like if you rotate your phone. And I have LONG loved digital climate control and being able to set the temperature you want and then forget it. But, I'm struggling with the thought of cutting a 4" x 1 1/2" opening in the dash for it. I guess I could put it in the custom console. Hmmm..... 🤔

Thanks again, I will look at their Cruise Control. 👍
 
I didn't know that Dakota Digital makes one. I will definitely look into that because I took the advice of @Jdc1 and went with the Dakota Digital RTX for the FJ40 so it will probably integrate with the instrument cluster. I know Dakota Digital also makes a Digital Climate Control unit (Vintage Air sells it) that also integrates with the RTX instrument cluster and immediately changes the color of the illumination to match what you have set on the instrument cluster on your phone app, and matches the brightness. And, the Digital Climate Control can be mounted horizontally, or vertically, and it will adjust itself sort of like if you rotate your phone. And I have LONG loved digital climate control and being able to set the temperature you want and then forget it. But, I'm struggling with the thought of cutting a 4" x 1 1/2" opening in the dash for it. I guess I could put it in the custom console. Hmmm..... 🤔

Thanks again, I will look at their Cruise Control. 👍

Ironic... This morning, the day I'm going to pull the trigger and purchase the A/C & Heat & Defrost system, we walked outside and it is the first hint of cooler fall weather. 😂
 
Ironic... This morning, the day I'm going to pull the trigger and purchase the A/C & Heat & Defrost system, we walked outside and it is the first hint of cooler fall weather. 😂
Don't be fooled. Florida has 2 seasons: 'summer' and 'sauna'. Sauna season lasts about 9 months, summer about 3.

We usually have between 5 and 15 really nice days/year where you may even get to use heat. The rest of the time you'll want air con unless you're a masochist.
 
Last edited:
Don't be fooled. Florida has 2 seasons: 'summer' and 'sauna'. Sauna season lasts about 9 months, summer about 3.

We have usually have between 5 and 15 really nice days/year where you may even get to use heat. The rest of the time you'll want air con unless you're a masochist.

Amen to that!

I would probably just use the heat and defrost when we go visit family during the winter, or if we take the 40 on a winter vacation. Or if I leave it to one of my sons and they move to somewhere that actually has 4 seasons, or if I financially have to sell it I would think it might get more bidders from areas that get cold weather if it has heat & defrost. Maybe. 🤔
 
You I was just telling someone, back when I was 15…(1968) we lived in Miami and there were mornings where we cleared frost off of the windshield. I tried not wearing a coat to school because by 10am it was already over 70.

Here’s the deal though: teenagers don’t feel heat, humidity or cold.
 
You I was just telling someone, back when I was 15…(1968) we lived in Miami and there were mornings where we cleared frost off of the windshield. I tried not wearing a coat to school because by 10am it was already over 70.

Here’s the deal though: teenagers don’t feel heat, humidity or cold.

You are right about teenagers! When I was a teenager we lived in an area of Texas that got plenty of snow in the winter, and I remember not wearing a coat while waiting outside for the school bus.
 
The FJ Company New
Just out of curiosity, and to help my wife feel better about what this project is costing us, I went onto The FJ Company website and went through picking out the various options for a build. And I low balled it. I went with things like vinyl seats instead of leather and so on. Didn't select the touchscreen stereo, or the high light lack, or the upgraded seats, or the supercharger. I was guessing it would be around $250,000 but I was wrong! So then I went back and spec'd one out loading it up. Screenshots of both below:

1790616461280.webp


1790617019114.webp
 
Ow that’s cash flow…. Outbound cash flow at least
 
Then again, if you can drop close to a half mil on a South American 40 rebuilt in Colombia then what's another $50,000 for leather seats and an iPad in the dash?
 
That lottery would have got me this:
 
Back
Top Bottom