New Shop/Barn with Cruiser content (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updates

I have got a few things done lately. We signed a sales contract on our house, so I have got to get us a place to live by 12/7/07.

Concrete was poured 9/6/07 and I started framing walls that weekend. Septic tank went in last week and the guy is going to drill our well sometime this week. Power company said it would be a month before we had power.

Framing goes quick, then everything else comes.

The third picture is for all the safety folks out there.

I went ahead and bought a Paslode Cordless framing nailer. It's not as fast as a pneumatic nailer, but it sure is nice not to have to mess with cords or listen to compressor and generator run all day.

JR
wall.jpg
wall2.jpg
100_3199 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Setbacks

I brought home the new shower and had it standing up. A storm blew the shower over that night and cracked the gel coat on it. It's not that bad, just kind of ticks you off. :mad:

I was standing up one wall with the tractor and the wall slipped on the concrete. It tore the wall up pretty bad and had to basically redo the whole thing.

Didn't line up the slots on my toilet flange when I cemented it together, so I will have to go back and put some kind of concrete anchors to hold down the toilet.

My dad came over this weekend and helped hang some OSB up on the big wall. Things really start to slow down after framing.

I got the insulation delivered Friday, so I need to start pulling wires tomorrow so we can get to insulating the walls.

JR

Assuming you're going to wire 220v? Three phase needed? Great project. You need to for sure install a lift of some sort. Hell, since it's your money I can suggest any number of things you can't live without.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

I'm curious about something...can you epoxy paint the floor now or will you have to wait until more time elapses? It seems that folks don't like acid etching their floor with the walls installed.

:eek::eek:

As for the safety in the third pic....OH MY GOD I can see what you are talking about

You should evacuate the work site until that tipped over beverage container is remediated. A full blown job hazard analysis should be perforemd to ensure the beverage tipping over did not create a slip hazard:eek::eek:

Epoxy

I'm not sure about epoxy paint. I did acid etch a floor once before with the walls standing. I think we are just gonna live on the concrete floor until we just can't stand it anymore. Money adds up so quick, I hate to spend a bunch of money on wood floors.

There will only be a few 220 circuits in our apartment. Stove, Hot water heater, dryer. I'm pulling wires this afternoon or tomorrow.

My shop will have more 220 circuits. Lights, Welders, Compressor, walls fans.

As far as a lift for my shop. I'm not sure the wife will give me a Purchase Order for that just yet. I am going to pour the concrete extra thick in that area.

The only scary thing about being in the basket on the tractor is my wife is running the front end loader. She does good one minute, then you think she is going to dump the whole thing off the forks the next minute. I guess I'll start strapping it to the tractor if I get real concerned.

We did up the size of our apartment from 800 to 960 square feet. That should make it not quite as cramped.

I know this is title shop/barn, but I promise the shop part is coming soon.

Few Updates

I realize now more than ever that I am not a plumber/electrician/framer. This has been a big job on the weekends and at night. Plumbing the tub/shower was the worst part of this whole thing. Had to knock out some more concrete to get the P-trap in there.

I told my wife that when we build a house, I do not want to swing a hammer, plumb one fixture, or wire one plug. Hell, all I want to do is show up for closing.

Sheetrock guy will be here thursday. Still have a few things to do tomorrow.

Thought I would post up a few pics of my breaker box. I tried to be neat with it and I think it turned out good, for the non electrician/non expert. Talked with the power company and I have to go and rent a trencher then go get the conduit from them to do my underground power.

As soon as I get the conduit buried, I can pour the concrete for my shop. I can't wait to get started on my shop.

JR
wiring.jpg
wiring2.jpg

knockout missing in panel box:flipoff2:

But I'm not an electrician so I'm refraining from evaluating....

knockout missing in panel box:flipoff2:

It's hard to screw knockout sleeves (not sure what they are really called) in by yourself.

Had to stick my hand through the knockout to run the nut down on the threads.

JR

Finally an update

I haven't posted in months. It's been the craziest time of my life. We have moved in our place. It's not finished, but we have water, power and heat.

I finally got my concrete poured for my shop. 40'x40'. It's plumbed for a toilet and shower, but just haven't got there yet.

It will have two 12'x12' roll up doors in the back and one 12'x12' in the front. I actually have 4 pieces of metal on the outside wall. I'm so sick of building, you just cant imagine. It's been terrible.

We closed on our house and moved around 12/12/07.

You may have read my post about well drilling problems. I had to dig 1300' feet and tie onto an existing line. It's another 1100' feet to the meter. It was pure rocks where the ditch was dug, so I had to buy topsoil to cover up the water line.

Anyway, here's a few pics from the construction.

JR
shop floor.jpg
den.jpg
kitchen.jpg

Update

Finally made some progress on my shop. I got the two roll up doors up on the back wall hung and that wall has some metal hung on it. I bought three 12'x12' doors. The first door took forever, I bet I made 50 trips up and down the ladder, but the second door went alot faster.

I got my shower installed and operational. So far, the wife has just give the dogs baths in the shower.

I've got to get this finished. It just takes me forever to do anything.

JR
ladder shot.jpg
doors.jpg

looks fantastic- I would love to have something like that on my land. Good job.

Plans

I've already got plans for the cruiser once my shop is finished.

First thing is rebuilding my transmission.

My summer project is going to be four linking the rear and installing a new ox locker up front.

Thanks for the comments.

JR

Man, that is one sweet big assed shop! Hang in there man, I've built three houses myself, all for myself, in the last 15 years. Current one is 2700 SF, and I'm needing a shop, two car garage won't cut it. When your friends tell you you're crazy, ask em what they have to show for their nights and weekends...that thing is gonna be sweet!

Side shed

When I don't have anything to do and get bored. I am going to get started on the other side shed of my barn. You can build 20'x80' shed for about $2000 bucks. That's alot of room and pretty cheap for that much room. It's not that tall either so everything goes quicker.

The peak of my roof now is about 23 feet tall, so it's hard to do anything by yourself. My wife has been picking me up with the front end loader on the tractor. It can be kind of scary.

JR

Update

I have almost got my shop done. I still have some more wiring to do. I am putting 4 400 watt metal halide lights. I only got on up tonight, but it is pretty bright by itself. I am wiring them up 240, so they only pull about 2 amps per light.

I still have the corner caps to put on. But that's about it on the outside. I have got to do some dirt work and spread some gravel. Still muddy out back.

I got our old welding table from work. It's a cast iron grid top with 4" angle for the legs. It's 5'x5' and about 3 inches thick. I figure it weighs about 3000 pounds. But it could weight closer to 4000.

Anyway, we had to get the service truck crane to take it off the trailer. It's going to take two tractors to get it in the shop.

I was so sick of hanging the metal on the sides. I am glad it's over.

JR
shop3.jpg
welding table2.jpg
welding table.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom