New pig day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acy76

SILVER Star
Threads
8B91EAA8-8466-41C6-8212-56BFFDF90757.jpeg

Hi all—And away we go.

Congrats! So, what's your plan?
So: bought this from a Mud member back in May, just had it shipped from the east coast this week. It's a 1978 chassis and driveline, with at least the '78 2F hood, perhaps more of the front clip? The body is a 10/1969 with replacement floors and really no other rot, it's very solid. All the wiring is new from American Autowire but needs cleanup.

It has a lift, I can't tell if the springs are Toyota or not, obviously it has extended shackles but both axles are shimmed to correct the angles, so it looks to have been done correctly. The rear spring hangers have not been moved from their original locations, if that helps? Pro-comp shocks. I will see if I can ID the springs, but thoughts welcomed.

First thing is to get it driveable again. Currently has an abandoned AFI fuel injection install, and I think I may rebuild the carb and reinstall that rather than mess around with fuel injection. I have had good experiences with Toyota carbs once rebuilt, and I like stock, all things considered.

After that, the interior is disassembled, the bumpers are not finished and a million other things. I don't mind the modifications performed thus far, and they look to have been done well (and are also easily removed if I would like to go that route). Aside from the snorkel (seems like opinions vary on it, I didn't install it, that's all I know--looks like maybe FJ Cruiser? The cap was lost in shipping, ha), it has an incomplete 4x4Labs rear bumper, some kind of bull bar/winch front bumper, a Gamiviti roof rack and 33x10.5 BFGs.

I think it's an excellent place to start and am excited to dig in.

Also, by way of introduction, I've been into Land Cruisers since my first FJ40, a 1978, that I bought in 1995. I have always liked the 55 but have never found one for sale that I liked (at least at the right time/location). I currently am on my 4th and 5th 40s and an 80 fell in my lap this spring, so clearly I have a problem. I do all my own work and look forward to talking with you all as I make my way through the process of getting this 55 sorted.

Here is a detail you guys might enjoy—also, does anyone have any history on this truck? It came from Colorado to the PO and has a rising sun club sticker as well as an iron pig preservation society sticker on the rear windows:
12DA5617-9F0B-40B2-9E9C-77401A5C98B7.jpeg

Looks awesome! Welcome to the sty!

Ok y'all, time to start with some technical questions.

General advice: Mess with the AFI kit or return to carb? I am leaning toward carb but there are some complications, see below.

1) Throttle linkage: As I have mentioned, this truck came to me with an abandoned AFI fuel injection install. It has a 2F and came with the (presumed original?) carb, which has vacuum secondary and looks much like the carb on my 1979 FJ40, which means it is set up for a rod linkage. The body is a 10/1969 and looks like it is meant to have a cable linkage. What have you guys done to make this work in a 55?

2) Distributor: there is a DUI unit installed but it has no vacuum advance and was wired into the FI harness so I assume it is electronically controlled by the ECM. I am not sure how to even look up specs for this thing, as all the DUI references I can find mention a vacuum advance, which this does not. Can this be used with a carb or should I ditch it in favor of a stock distributor (I think I have a good one in the parts stash). I posted this DUI question in the 40 forum for some extra visibility as I am not turning much up via search.

3) Intake manifold: this engine has what looks to be the F155 intake (looks a lot like the one on my 1970 FJ40 and not like the manifold I am used to seeing on a 2F like my '79). Should I be shopping for the correct intake? Ideas why someone would swap this one on (other than they happened to have it on hand)?

Again, I am currently thinking of going back to stock here but not sure how to deal with the above just yet.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom