New (old) addition to the stable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't work that way with the 3FE manifolds. The 2F exhaust manifold bolts to the intake manifold, allowing you to machine as one unit, but the 3FE manifold does not bolt to the 2F intake manifold to allow this.

The point though is that the thickness of the manifolds (intake and exhaust) where the shared bolts meet need to be as close to the same as possible. This allows the shared bolts to put equal pressure on the intake and exhaust manifolds. People neglect to check this when installing headers, which is why people have so many issues with headers, but the same will happen with 3FE manifolds unless checked.

Agree about the 3fe as i did a set but not what i was referring to. Sounded like he was bailing on the 3fe manifolds for now (although it would be no more delay than finding a set @NCFJ maybe).

Simply meant he didnt want to plane the surface then go monkeying with it and changing gaskets and potentially the angle of end pieces.

You guys know I like modify things, hell look at my 80. But I think for this 40, I'd like to keep it as original as possible. I chased the header squirrel briefly but was quickly brought back inline. Headed out to a machine shop now to talk this through. Hopefully, I hear back from Beno soon about obtaining the needed gaskets, rings & things. I want to enjoy driving this thing!

It's unfortunate headers have the reputation of warps and leaks brought on by thin metals not able to take the heat. But even if you had a nice set of thick flanges the torque benefits for an engine that mostly lives under 2500 RPM and is being choked off by a flat cam are limited. The performance boost of the 3FE manifolds is the same story but I have to confess they look great.

If I were building a 2F I believe 3FE manifolds would have to be a part of the plan.

On my de-smogged truck, those nipples are just capped. If you are de-smogging you can either cap them or just plug the port with an appropriate fitting. Same goes for the other nipply valve things up by the water pump. I think they are called BVSV's (bi-metallic vacuum switchng valves).

Last edited:
On my de-smogged truck, those nipples are just capped. If you are de-smogging you can either cap them or just plug the port with an appropriate fitting. Same goes for the other nipply valve things up by the water pump. I think they are called BVSV's (bi-metallic vacuum switchng valves).
Rodger, I didn't see that piece in Jim's desmog kit. Thanks

Last edited:
Glad I could help! I will say though even though I don't just stare at my motor all the time, I wish I would have found just an all black kit over the color coded ones. Just to make it a tad cleaner on the inside.

IMG_2693.JPG

Now that looks better than a gaping hole in the dash

Glad I could help! I will say though even though I don't just stare at my motor all the time, I wish I would have found just an all black kit over the color coded ones. Just to make it a tad cleaner on the inside.
Yeah that might look better & I already have a bunch of the black vacuum nipples in the garage. Might color code the vacuum ports with paint pens so I can figure out where every thing goes years down the road if/when I ever have it apart again.

What parts are you looking for, specifically?

BTW, I painted my fancy colored nipples black with Testors model car paint and a brush. It holds up pretty well if you don't mess with them. Try to remove the nipples and the paint will quickly disappear. The vinyl (colored) nipples seem to be more durable than the black rubber nipples. The rubber ones stretch and crack and eventually leak. I guess that could be remedied with a blob of black permatex upon install though.

upload_2017-12-13_8-3-43.jpeg

Ren sells the rubber ones.

How am I just now seeing this thread?!? Sam....very nice 40!!! There always seems to be something that needs attention on a nearly 40 year-old truck, isn't there? I need to do a few things on mine soon too. Been neglecting it a bit. Just do yourself a favor and when you can.....just drive it.

How am I just now seeing this thread?!? Sam....very nice 40!!! There always seems to be something that needs attention on a nearly 40 year-old truck, isn't there? I need to do a few things on mine soon too. Been neglecting it a bit. Just do yourself a favor and when you can.....just drive it.

I'd love too. Just trying to get the intake and exhaust all sealed up so that I can.
I drove it alot when I first picked it up. It's been down for a few weeks now though.

CB2C09D3-0788-407B-AE85-C545CD214BC1.jpeg
95736A20-DC57-434A-AED9-368DD0D36226.jpeg

SOR parts arrived the other day. Still awaiting the parts from Toyota to ship.
Make sure you open any packages from SOR outside. They are using their shredded up old ledgers as packing material now. The stuff gets everywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom