New member looking for engine help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Just retired from law enforcement and bought a 1975 FJ40 to restore. I have spent a lot of time looking over the forum and have learned a lot already. My FJ has a non running small block chevy V8 going through an advance adapter to the tranny.

I am thinking of three re-power routes and wanted to get anyone's opinion on what might be the best route. I want to keep it simple and direct. The FJ will just be a daily driver for me with very little off road use. I had one in high school and loved it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

1. ATK HP32C-EFI Chevy 350 with a 700R4 tranny
2. Same engine but rebuilt my stock FJ-40 tranny
3. Chevy 6.0 L96 truck Crate engine ( Any tranny suggestions ?)

I will keep searching the forum for information but any thoughts on my specific FJ would be greatly appreciated. I am planning a full frame restore.

Thanks so much for your time.

FJ=FJ Cruiser

Call it an FJ40, Cruiser, 40, anything but an FJ

Welcome to the site, how about some pics!

I can't help with your drivetrain questions, I still run the mighty 2F.

Welcome to the Mud! This crowd loves pictures! So don't hesitate to throw some out there. Sounds like you need to start a build thread. The best advise I was given was to get a silver star with IH8MUD and commence to reading! This is the place where everything has been done at least once and there are plenty of inspiring well documented threads to help you with modifications or decisions.

And lastly, Thank you for your service !:beer::beer:

Cheers,
Kevo

Not to hi-jack the thread, but how do you get silver star and what is the advantage?
You pay for it at like $10 a year and it gets rid of the annoying advertisements

Not to hi-jack the thread, but how do you get silver star and what is the advantage?
There are a couple good reasons.
1. You don't have to deal with all the ad's.
2. Ability to post more pictures.
3. And the most important, it supports the site. When you are working on a project you can easily plunk down $25 for a repair manual. But IH8MUD as a information source is constantly changing and updating with new ideas and techniques. A very small price to pay for a wealth of information and need I say...entertainment.

To get a silver star just click on your avatar up top right, on the pull down menu look for "Account Upgrades" and follow the prompts, give your payment info. It has been one of the best investments I have made.

Cheers
Kevo

I have a SS and I get an ad at the top of the page. Maybe there's more if you don't have a SS, can't remember.

OP, thanks for serving. And welcome. I'll really mean it if you post pics - :p (i.e. tongue-in-check kind of response)

Welcome to Mud and retirement!
I retired last year after 20 years with CA Corrections, your're going to love the reduction in stress.
Sorry I can't help with your question, I have a 2/76 FJ40 and love my 2F.
Have you considered a donor 2F?

Thanks For Your Service!
If you search a little you will find that luckily there are about 4 or 5 places you can down load all the manuals from our friends here. I think if you search maybe trollhole and fj40 manual you will find wiring, frame motor, etc... Here is your wiring diagram if you don't have it, all I can upload. Have you considered going back to the 2F and 4 speed? Just a thought

Attachments

• 1975_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_FJ40.pdf
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your years of service! I have always run Chevy V8's in my 40's but they have all been carb setups to keep things computer-free.
  • Really decide if you want to keep the manual trans or go automatic as this will take you down 2 different paths and costs
  • If you decide to go automatic, I would stay away from the 700R4.
  • What size tires will you be running and will you be sticking with the stock axle gears? This is important if you run an automatic that does not have OD.
  • If you want to keep the stock axles you will need to keep in mind the final output from the transfer case (center vs offset). There are alternatives to handle either but costs will differ depending.
Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to discuss in more depth and over the phone if you prefer.

Drake

Welcome to Mud. It'd be cool to see pics of your truck.

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

You have a cruiser 4 speed tranny and 1 piece split case. That's a good combo. As for motor, the sky is the limit. I think the GM LS motors are it. You would do fine with a 5.3, which is plenty of power for an FJ40, and a low mile take out will save you $5000.

I'm not sure if your existing adapter would work but it might, making your swap fairly straight forward.

If you want new stuff, I'd still run the 4 speed you have, an Orion transfercase, and motor of choice. An automatic is too long for an FJ40 generally and I'd stick with the 4 speed to keep the drivetrain short.

Regarding the Orion, it's basically a Toyota transfer case with a stronger case and lower low range. As a bonus, it runs quieter too.

Thanks For Your Service!
If you search a little you will find that luckily there are about 4 or 5 places you can down load all the manuals from our friends here. I think if you search maybe trollhole and fj40 manual you will find wiring, frame motor, etc... Here is your wiring diagram if you don't have it, all I can upload. Have you considered going back to the 2F and 4 speed? Just a thought
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your years of service! I have always run Chevy V8's in my 40's but they have all been carb setups to keep things computer-free.
  • Really decide if you want to keep the manual trans or go automatic as this will take you down 2 different paths and costs
  • What size tires will you be running and will you be sticking with the stock axle gears? This is important if you run an automatic that does not have OD.
  • If you want to keep the stock axles you will need to keep in mind the final output from the transfer case (center vs offset). There are alternatives to handle either but costs will differ depending.
Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to discuss in more depth and over the phone if you prefer.

Drake
Hi Drake,

I am not planning on running anything real big on tires. Whatever is the most cost effective and simple way to do this is the route I want to go. I am so new to this forum I will need to figure out how to send a PM.

Drake
Hi Drake,

Thanks for your quick response and want to keep things simple and cost effective. Not planning on anything real big on wheels and tires. My gut tells me that because I already have a small block chevy it would be better just to get a new one and rebuild the original transmission but want to make sure that I am not missing anything. I have no problem with a standard. I do like your idea of keeping things computer free.

I am going to do all of the body work but have a limited mechanical knowledge so will be paying someone to do that work. As soon as I figure out how to start a bulid thread I will start that.

I would love to talk with you but I need to figure out how to send a private message. If it is easier for you just email me at surfron60@gmail.com. and we can trade contact numbers.I don't want to break any forum rules on my first day.

Ron Ungar

Thank you for your time giving me your thoughts with my FJ40 restore. I will have some time in the am to post the some pictures and start a build thread. I was thinking that just replacing the Chevy V8 and rebuilding the transmission might be the most direct and cost effective way to go. Besides, I love driving standard transmissions. Drake2, my email is surfron60@gmail.com, if you get a second shoot me an email.

You have a cruiser 4 speed tranny and 1 piece split case. That's a good combo. As for motor, the sky is the limit. I think the GM LS motors are it. You would do fine with a 5.3, which is plenty of power for an FJ40, and a low mile take out will save you $5000.

I'm not sure if your existing adapter would work but it might, making your swap fairly straight forward.

If you want new stuff, I'd still run the 4 speed you have, an Orion transfercase, and motor of choice. An automatic is too long for an FJ40 generally and I'd stick with the 4 speed to keep the drivetrain short.

Regarding the Orion, it's basically a Toyota transfer case with a stronger case and lower low range. As a bonus, it runs quieter too.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will call advance adapters in the morning and see if a 5.3 would work with my adapter.

Hi Drake,

I am not planning on running anything real big on tires. Whatever is the most cost effective and simple way to do this is the route I want to go. I am so new to this forum I will need to figure out how to send a PM.

Hi Drake,

Thanks for your quick response and want to keep things simple and cost effective. Not planning on anything real big on wheels and tires. My gut tells me that because I already have a small block chevy it would be better just to get a new one and rebuild the original transmission but want to make sure that I am not missing anything. I have no problem with a standard. I do like your idea of keeping things computer free.

I am going to do all of the body work but have a limited mechanical knowledge so will be paying someone to do that work. As soon as I figure out how to start a bulid thread I will start that.

I would love to talk with you but I need to figure out how to send a private message. If it is easier for you just email me at surfron60@gmail.com. and we can trade contact numbers.I don't want to break any forum rules on my first day.

Ron Ungar
Email sent

I do a lot of real estate work and I always think in terms of resale value. If you’re putting $ into this vehicle, you’ll get the most for resale if it has a 2F in it. To me, and many others, I won’t even look at it if it has a v8 in it. If it’s for yourself and you don’t care about resale then do whatever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom