New member engine advice 2F vs 3Bii (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time guest and finally joined the group. Picked up a 77 Fj40 many months ago that someone wasn’t able to get back together. So much good info on here that’s been extremely helpful so far.

The engine was full of water when I bought the project. Still working the breaking it free but in mean time I sourced a 2F with power steering holes as I was planning to just get it on the road asap then restore/build from there. The more I think about it the more I want a diesel I think. I’m just a diesel fan boy I guess. But I want to keep as many toyota parts as possible on it.

The question or advice I’m seeking is whether I should throw a 3Bii with turbo in there or just freshen up the newer 2F? It seems the transmission/transfer case is the only thing holding me back on committing to the swap in that I don’t want to get out of control with the money I’m throwing at this. Can I just rebuild my 4 speed with 4speed parts to fit the 3B? Or will my current transfer case fit the B series 4 speed if I can source one?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6622.jpeg

IMG_6702.jpeg

IMG_6843.jpeg

IMG_6919.png

Sticking with the mighty 2F would probably be quicker, cheaper, and an overall better choice than sourcing a Toyota diesel.

In the long run a modern diesel might be more durable and be a helluva lot cooler though.

How about getting a running 2F to drop in, then take your time in sourcing all the appropriate engine-drivetrain for a diesel swap.

Welcome to mud.

Sticking with the mighty 2F would probably be quicker, cheaper, and an overall better choice than sourcing a Toyota diesel.

In the long run a modern diesel might be more durable and be a helluva lot cooler though.

How about getting a running 2F to drop in, then take your time in sourcing all the appropriate engine-drivetrain for a diesel swap.

Welcome to mud.

No more posts in this thread needed. That's all that you need to know.

If you are in the hunt for a 2H, I have several. I have one on a rolling chassis that I separated from a HJ60. I am putting the 60 on an 80 frame with an LS swap. Selling the 2H which runs well.

If you are in the hunt for a 2H, I have several. I have one on a rolling chassis that I separated from a HJ60. I am putting the 60 on an 80 frame with an LS swap. Selling the 2H which runs well.
The 2H is a straightforward diesel swap for the 2F, eg. same input shaft etc.

PS. That's the reason I opted for too (for my future J45 resto)!

Last edited:
A 2H sounds more inline with what I want. Thanks for the input. I’ll start hunting for a 2H while I work on the frame and tacking body back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom