New Italian Leather Steering Wheel Covers in Oak (Tan) and Grey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Batch #2 is ready. I will be sending out an email to all those who are on the list.

So seems I am the first to complete this (or at least post about it).

First off the color is perfect and the feel of the leather is incredible.

The install was tough. I tried to follow the video posted on page 5 of the thread, using the baseball stich method. I probably spent 8 hours on it over two days. I've never done anything like this before so that may be part of it but I also feel like the leather was smaller than it really needed to be. I had to really stretch it constantly to get it to fill gaps and even then there are some that I could not get all the way closed. I pulled so hard at one point I broke the doubled thread. Nice part was the leather is very durable so no tears from all that pulling. You can see a few areas where I stretched so much the leather discolored a bit, not too bad and actually works with the truck. In the areas where it had a little more room it really came out very nice.

If I had to do it again I'd get a commercial leather stretching compound and soak the leather in it from the get go. Toward the end I used a rubbing alcohol, water mix (about 70% water) which is basically what a commercial compound is and that really helped soften up the leather and made it form up easier. If it's loose in any area you can get it wet then dry it quickly in the sun or with a hair dryer and it will shrink (a surprising amount actually). Also recommend having a healthy supply of zip ties. They really help to hold the seams together as you work your way around and hold way better than the tape if you have to wet the leather to stretch it. Just cut them off as you add a new one so they don't leave deep imprints in the leather.

Still a little trimming around the spokes but will have this back in the truck tomorrow.

All in all way better than my original wheel but I think I could do better if I had a second shot at it.
steering wheel recovered.jpg

How was your install? Any pointers?

I put a few in the post right before the finished product post (#123).

I forgot to add to put a piece of tape under the zip tie to avoid leaving railroad tracks on the leather. They eventually rub out but the tape would prevent them from the start.

Also after thinking about it I would do it in a different order than I did. I did the large opening first, then the two small ones, then the bottom. I think I'd start with the two small openings working from the bottom of the upper spoke down to the small opening. The first seam is the hardest to get tight cause there is nothing to pull against so it looks the worst. If you did it this way it would at least be on the bottom of the spoke and you'd rarely see it. After that I'd do the small opening and then the large opening last. The theory here is the large opening has the most material and can thereby stretch the most (mechanics of materials comes into play here) so you can better make up for material used on the other portions. Also after looking my wheel over the last spoke I did looks the best (which in my case is the one you see the least) probably due to the practice I got on the others so doing the most visible last makes sense.

Thank you for the detailed write up @Pascoscout !

Yes, wetting the leather in a few areas is highly recommended to get a perfect fit. Tight is what you want. As you drive with it, the leather will loosen up a bit, so having it loose at the start could make it sag later on.

As to the slight discoloration: that’s expected. Mine did the same. But after driving with mine for a month, the oils in my hand plus heat from the sun has got it back uniform again. Rubbing a leather conditioner on it after installation, such as Neatsfoot Oil would work too.

I think your install looks great. Taking your time really looks like it paid off. My install took around 4 hours, but I think yours may look even better than mine.

And yes, I LOVE how supple the leather is. I find myself squeezing/rubbing on it when I’m driving. Haha.

Done and installed. Looks awesome. Took it for a drive and it really feels good on the hands. So nice not having a rough, torn, sticky wheel to hold on to anymore.View attachment 1787959

Wow! Looks like you did a great job. Mine is still sitting in the package. I really need to get to it. I've been distracted by other projects but this is high on the list.

I have a cover with a very very small imperfection in the leather. Is just slightly lighter than the rest of the leather. The spot is about the size of a pencil eraser. When installed, it will also be on the back side of the wheel, so you should not even be able to see it.

Asking $120 shipped, instead of the usual $135

PM me if you want it.

0234668A-3BB0-4987-AFF6-A2BBF899BF93.jpeg

Yeah I can see it loosening up a little over time. I think it's already stretching in some of the tighter areas as the foam under tries to get back to its original shape because now I can squeeze the small gap at the seam closed with my fingers where I could not right after I sewed it. I may be able to unstitch them down the road and close the gap all the way.

I'll try the oil and see how that goes. I did a basic leather conditioning wipe right after the install and it took most of the color back but once it dried it went light again. Maybe something a bit better will hold longer. Either way the lighter areas don't bother me at all.

I have a cover with a very very small imperfection in the leather. Is just slightly lighter than the rest of the leather. The spot is about the size of a pencil eraser. When installed, it will also be on the back side of the wheel, so you should not even be able to see it.

Asking $120 shipped, instead of the usual $135

PM me if you want it.

View attachment 1788739

Very interested. I’m assuming this is what is referred to as “tan”?

Very interested. I’m assuming this is what is referred to as “tan”?

Yes. The “tan” interiors were called “Oak” by Toyota.

The interior was the classic tan color, but darker pieces of brown leather were found on the door cards, and steering wheel. This is also true with the 40th Anniversary Editions.

Done and installed. Looks awesome. Took it for a drive and it really feels good on the hands. So nice not having a rough, torn, sticky wheel to hold on to anymore.View attachment 1787959

After I did the first prototype, I worked with the seamstress to produce tighter and flatter seams. I’m glad to see yours look so well done! Nice and flat!

Yes. The “tan” interiors were called “Oak” by Toyota.

The interior was the classic tan color, but darker pieces of brown leather were found on the door cards, and steering wheel. This is also true with the 40th Anniversary Editions.
I wish I hadve known the 40th anniversary model existed when I was searching, I would’ve been more patient. PMing you about the cover btw

The third batch is being made now. Should have more in just a week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom