New HAM radio. Best way to get the antenna coax into the cab? From the back. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phares

Mostly Useless
Threads
I just recently acquired a Yaesu 857D HAM radio. This particular model has the detachable face so the body of the radio will be in the back of the truck. My intention is to mount the two antenna above the rear bumper using existing hardware. (I'm also looking for recommendations for antenna mounts). So I need advice getting the coax cable from the alpha antennas into the cab of the 80 without drilling through the truck, and clearly I won't be able to shut the tailgate on coax.

I searched a few things with no avail. The little bit I did see were pictures of antennas that were using a different feed line than coax.

So what mounts do I get and how do I get the coax into the truck?
Thanks in advance!

I followed the wiring loom that goes through a grommet under the car on the left or right side of the rear next to the spare tire. From there it goes over the wheelwell and then along the door bottom under the carpet.

I'm partial to the Diamond K400CNMO hatch mounts. The very small SMA connector and thin RG316 coax supplied with the mounts can easily be popped through the weather stripping without causing leaks.

Diamond K400SNMO.jpg

You can also use the taillight wire loom to get the antenna wire inside the cab right where you want to mount the radio (behind the rear quarter panel).

I just ran mine up the underbody into the grommet under the driver side dash, under the bottom door trim, to under the driver seat where I had my IC-706 installed.

I routed my coax through the taillight housing then along the drivers side trim. I used silicon on the inside of the housing after routing the cable to make it watertight again. Year and a bit and still working awesome. No wear on coax from opening and closing the rear.

20160703_201314.jpg

20160703_201332.jpg

Just as an FYI, listed in my 1994 factory service manual it lists some precaution for those owners installing two way radios. 1. install the antenna as far as possible away from the ECM, ECU, and sensors of the trucks electronic systems. 2. Install the antenna feeder at least 7.87 inch's away from the ECM, ECU, and sensors of the trucks electronic systems. 3. Do not wind the antenna feeder together with the other wiring. As much as possible, also avoid running the antenna feeder parallel with other wiring harnesses. 4. Confirm that the antenna and feeder are correctly adjusted.

I'm partial to the Diamond K400CNMO hatch mounts. The very small SMA connector and thin RG316 coax supplied with the mounts can easily be popped through the weather stripping without causing leaks.

View attachment 1523752
This is what I run as well on the 80 and 4runner.

@Kaninja where did you get that mount?!! I need one.

Just as an FYI, listed in my 1994 factory service manual it lists some precaution for those owners installing two way radios. 1. install the antenna as far as possible away from the ECM, ECU, and sensors of the trucks electronic systems. 2. Install the antenna feeder at least 7.87 inch's away from the ECM, ECU, and sensors of the trucks electronic systems. 3. Do not wind the antenna feeder together with the other wiring. As much as possible, also avoid running the antenna feeder parallel with other wiring harnesses. 4. Confirm that the antenna and feeder are correctly adjusted.

Gotta wonder though- since mobile radio tech has come just as far since then as truck tech has since then, I wonder if this is even still a thing? I have a 50 watt Motorola(public safety VHS mobile) in my rig and have never noticed any issues from the RF. Mine was installed correctly and the 1/4 wave firestik antenna cut and tuned with a meter, and the coax still has the factory ends on it, so maybe I'm just lucky. My wiring goes through the passenger side quarter panel then up under the door seals and crosses to the console under the passenger seat. Lays right alongside the floor harness on that side, but again, never an issue(knock on wood and all that...).

Last edited:
Artech, i have to agree with you, two way radios have changed alot in the last 23 years since Toyota wrote that precaution. Yes shielding on coax is much better, antennas and radios transmit a cleaner signal, with much less bleed over and distortion. I added this info for the person who has never installed a two way radio before. The type of installer who doesn't go to the trouble of, or knows how to "tuning their antenna" with a meter like you did, and ended up having interference problems.

I didn't tune it, I just stood there and watched the expert do it while I handed him stuff. There appears to be quite a bit to it!:hmm:

I did slice off the antenna about 1/4 inch at a time with a cutoff wheel until he was happy with his meters, that was probably my biggest contribution to the whole thing. Aside from stuffing the thing into the truck, anyway.:wrench::wrench::wrench:

Last edited:
We did have one 90's-era International fire truck that would burn up the ECU every so often. We never associated it with the 2-way radio but I always wondered why it would spit the bits so often when nothing else in the fleet did...? Maybe that was what ailed it after all!

So what mounts do I get and how do I get the coax into the truck?
Thanks in advance!

YodaTeq mount; first two pics in the post below show coax routing for the CB radio:
'93 80 vs. '97 LX

As for the Ham radio, I'm still running a 1/4 wave antenna with mag mount, coax cable thru the slider window... garage door opening is too low for having permanent antenna mount up top.

Last edited:
I've got those YotaTeq mounts @Kaninja has and will be putting a 2m radio in. I'm thinking I'd like a taller antenna 5/8 wave one for when in the desert, but a shorter one like @Tools R Us has in his photo for regular use in Western WA. Does anyone know if there are quick disconnects for easy swapping or if I'm just better going with a shorter one and dealing?

Last edited:
I've got those YotaTeq mounts @Kaninja has and will be putting a 2m radio in. I'm thinking I'd like a taller antenna 5/8 wave one for when in the desert, but a shorter one like @Tools R Us has in his photo for regular use in Western WA. Does anyone know if there are quick disconnects for easy swapping or if I'm just better going with a shorter one and dealing?
An NMO mount unscrews in seconds with your hand. I don't swap antennae often, but I do change them out occasionally depending on where I'm going. No need for a QD IMO.

Reactions: ppc
Jon is absolutely spot on. In addition to NMO mounts that also applies to PL-259/SO-259, SMA, N-Type and other radio connectors. The reverse is actually the problem in that the connectors are easy to undo and present the opportunity for easy theft of the antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom