New front passenger seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh ok. So don't tighten the worm bolts super tight? And only tighten when I feel little resistance?

[

I think you've got it. My seat was so out of alignment that, when I pushed the switch, I could hear it try to move but nothing happened. (it started out my only moving one side but then locked up) So, I had to realign my seat with a wrench, after I had the plastic cap back in there.

Basically, I adjusted one worm drive to straighten the seat out, side to side. So, say on the outboard side, I would take my wrench and screw the seat forward, using the head of the worm drive on the front of the seat. (That's a hex bolt head that is attached to the actual screw of the worm drive. When you rotate that bolt head, the whole worm drive rotates and moves that side of the seat accordingly.) As I moved it forward, I would note if the resistance was increasing or decreasing. Then I would drive the worm drive in the opposite direction, again noting the change in resistance. Based on that, I would drive the seat to the center point where resistance was the least. That's the spot where the seat is somewhat aligned. At that point, you can check and see if your electric seat switch moves the seat. If it does, you can fine tune it or just run it as it is!

I think you've got it. My seat was so out of alignment that, when I pushed the switch, I could hear it try to move but nothing happened. (it started out my only moving one side but then locked up) So, I had to realign my seat with a wrench, after I had the plastic cap back in there.

Basically, I adjusted one worm drive to straighten the seat out, side to side. So, say on the outboard side, I would take my wrench and screw the seat forward, using the head of the worm drive on the front of the seat. (That's a hex bolt head that is attached to the actual screw of the worm drive. When you rotate that bolt head, the whole worm drive rotates and moves that side of the seat accordingly.) As I moved it forward, I would note if the resistance was increasing or decreasing. Then I would drive the worm drive in the opposite direction, again noting the change in resistance. Based on that, I would drive the seat to the center point where resistance was the least. That's the spot where the seat is somewhat aligned. At that point, you can check and see if your electric seat switch moves the seat. If it does, you can fine tune it or just run it as it is!
Wow thank you so much for that! I will try that later after work. At this point I also don't mind if I can just push the seat all the way back permanently and not even deal with the motor anymore. Haha. Thanks again!

I did take both of those into consideration. The rails were off by 1/4" before I put the seat back on. Also you're right, the cap is not seated all the way in. For some reason I couldn't get it all the way in flush. I even tried softly knocking it in with a hammer...

If the cap does not go in further that means the shaft the gear rides on is not centered in the opening. When not centered the gear you replaced will not be engaged. The new gear may already be striped. The cap does not need to be hammered in if positioned properly.

Yes, this. Get those plugs installed correctly or it wont work at all. And don't keep messing with the switch or you're going to strip that pretty new gear.

When I did mine, I installed a set screw to keep it in, because the female threads were trash. It's worked great (for a 20 year old truck) ever since.

I did my passenger seat twice with the new gears. The previous owner had tried a few times as well. Nothing worked. I decided to give it one more try and pay a lot more attention to the problem. What i noticed was that the broken teeth from all previous attempts had jammed up the worm drive. I stripped the lot down scraped out all the plastic shrapnel, regreased everything and it worked a charm...

Might also want to check the rear shaft holder. Mine was all chewed up and I had to fabricate new ones so that my shaft will spin freely!

The white screw shaft guide are factory ones. Since you could not buy them separately from Toyota, I fabricated replacements in black.

I have a few extras if anyone needs any.

IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7828.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7830.JPG

Thanks k you to everyone on this thread! I ended up leaving my seat all the way slid back. I'm done dealing with it... I'll just make sure people don't slide it. Again thanks again to this thread! I love this online community

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom