new FJ80 owner in Virginia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ETHEL.jpg

Just bought this 92' a couple of weeks ago. Got her for a song and am loving beginning to get to know my way around the LC setup.

Crossing over from the Jeep world. Not looking to wheel heavily anymore (did plenty of rock crawling with the Jeeps - kinda bored with that game). I am mostly wanting to drive / tinker with a somewhat classic vehicle. So far I have been just doing maintenance stuff (fluids/ replacing old rubber and hoses/ tune up, etc...). Fortunately she lived most of her life in Wyoming so the rust is pretty minimal. Maybe Ill be able to park the Sawzall, the torch, and the cutoff wheel (scariest tool out there IMO) . Also hoping that I wont have to piss my wife off by smelling like PB blaster all the time like I did with my last few jeeps :)

The first "MOD" that I have planned is actually to drop her from the current ARB 3.5" lift down to 2" springs. As she sits she is taller than I like and a little more caster would improve drivability. Yes the caster correction kit is already in there but those 3.5" springs are pushing her up even more than that since I do not have a bunch of heavy stuff like bumpers and the like installed.

I joined a local maker space recently (NOVA LABs in Fairfax VA) and it has a great metal shop. I have always wanted to learn to fabricate and so I might experiment with making things like skid plates, steps, and winch mounts even though I do not intend to rock crawl her. It would mostly be me wanting to learn how to fab. They have a great facility so CNC and welding aluminum are on the table once I can get into the classes where those skills are taught. I would prefer aluminum over steel mostly to save weight. If I were actually going to rock crawl her I would go steel but then I would have the snowball effect of needing to mod the suspension again etc...and I like I said I am not going down that road with this rig. I am running antique plates so de-smoging her (that spaghetti pile of vacuum tubing and emissions crap needs to go!) is on the agenda too.

Once that is done I will mostly want to just get her running as good as I can and clean her up. Taking trips in the region (I am in Virginia) and taking her camping are the main intended usages.

I will say that it is kinda fun owning a vehicle where half of the clubs and forums are in Australia, Europe, and Dubai. Just reading the exchanges between the Aussie members is a kick!

My first 80 was BRP. I like the color.

Welcome.

BTW, the less you speak about heeps, the better.

View attachment 3448590

Just bought this 92' a couple of weeks ago. Got her for a song and am loving beginning to get to know my way around the LC setup.

Crossing over from the Jeep world. Not looking to wheel heavily anymore (did plenty of rock crawling with the Jeeps - kinda bored with that game). I am mostly wanting to drive / tinker with a somewhat classic vehicle. So far I have been just doing maintenance stuff (fluids/ replacing old rubber and hoses/ tune up, etc...). Fortunately she lived most of her life in Wyoming so the rust is pretty minimal. Maybe Ill be able to park the Sawzall, the torch, and the cutoff wheel (scariest tool out there IMO) . Also hoping that I wont have to piss my wife off by smelling like PB blaster all the time like I did with my last few jeeps :)

The first "MOD" that I have planned is actually to drop her from the current ARB 3.5" lift down to 2" springs. As she sits she is taller than I like and a little more caster would improve drivability. Yes the caster correction kit is already in there but those 3.5" springs are pushing her up even more than that since I do not have a bunch of heavy stuff like bumpers and the like installed.

I joined a local maker space recently (NOVA LABs in Fairfax VA) and it has a great metal shop. I have always wanted to learn to fabricate and so I might experiment with making things like skid plates, steps, and winch mounts even though I do not intend to rock crawl her. It would mostly be me wanting to learn how to fab. They have a great facility so CNC and welding aluminum are on the table once I can get into the classes where those skills are taught. I would prefer aluminum over steel mostly to save weight. If I were actually going to rock crawl her I would go steel but then I would have the snowball effect of needing to mod the suspension again etc...and I like I said I am not going down that road with this rig. I am running antique plates so de-smoging her (that spaghetti pile of vacuum tubing and emissions crap needs to go!) is on the agenda too.

Once that is done I will mostly want to just get her running as good as I can and clean her up. Taking trips in the region (I am in Virginia) and taking her camping are the main intended usages.

I will say that it is kinda fun owning a vehicle where half of the clubs and forums are in Australia, Europe, and Dubai. Just reading the exchanges between the Aussie members is a kick!
Welcome!

You don't need to get all excited when you read about head gasket failures, as that is not typical of the 3F-E that you have.

There are those that hate on the 3F-E that they're slow, but you get more smiles per gallon as you enjoy the scenery a little longer.

Do as much of your own work as you can, use Toyota parts when it makes sense (most of the time) and just drive it!

Oh, and get out your wallet!

hey neighbor. i'm just down the road from you. i'll keep an eye out for you. my 95's distinct features are being blue with a 2" lift, 285's, ARB bumper, and full roof rack. another neighbor has a red one like yours but a '95

you don't need antique tags to avoid emissions. being 25+ years old earned you that distinction. but you do get to skip the $38 in annual registration fees and safety inspection.

hey neighbor. i'm just down the road from you. i'll keep an eye out for you. my 95's distinct features are being blue with a 2" lift, 285's, ARB bumper, and full roof rack. another neighbor has a red one like yours but a '95

you don't need antique tags to avoid emissions. being 25+ years old earned you that distinction. but you do get to skip the $38 in annual registration fees and safety inspection.
Cool! Hey I am also running 285s right now and am about to drop the lift from 3.5" OME heavy duty springs to OME 2" medium duty. Can you send some pics of yours so that I can preview what I am oriented towards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom