New Cigarette Lighter? Help Please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brushyhill.com
I'm about to place an order with SOR for a bikini top and Tiger Channel and while I'm at it I thought about orderign a new cigarette lighter from them- mine doesn't work and I need it, at least for charging phones, flashlights, etc. However, they want $32.50 for a new one! I am hoping to, eventually, do a pretty full resto on my LC so I try to buy as many original parts as possible; but is there any difference between a generic cigarette lighter and the one that SOR sells?

Does anyone know where I can find a cigarette lighter that LOOKS like the original '75 FJ40 lighter?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Hey Nick,

If you do some searching I think you can also find the bikini top and channel for a bit cheaper than SOR sells them for. Unless you are a 'club member' (and even then) SOR's prices are pretty steep. And on top of that you never know what the shipping costs will be until after the fact. I usually only buy from SOR when they have their annual 20% off sale (or whatever it is).

If you havn't seen an oem cigarette lighter they are pretty impressive, quality wise, for just a cigarette lighter; after market should be fine though.

Nick,

Did some searching and found these (no affliation whatsoever):

http://tinyurl.com/p8mum - bikini top $56, $58 with BIN

http://tinyurl.com/m976v - windshield channel $20

SOR wants $75 & $27.50 respectively for these items. Shipping on the above seems 'reasonable' for eBay.

HTH and good luck!! Wish I would have known you needed this stuff a couple weeks ago...Had a bikini top and channel I just let go for $50 + $5 shipping (1/2 price). Would have been nice if you got at least one of the tops I had for sale ;p

BTW, did you ever decide what you were going to do soft top wise (Supertop or Kayline)? Or, does the fact that you are getting a bikini top tell me that you decided against a soft top for egress/ingress ease?

Try CDan . He's very nice to deal with and very knowlegable. Prices are great too.

Thanks y'all! I decided not to order the lighter from them- I'm not quite anal enough to be able to justify that kind of money for a cigarette lighter! I DID order their "Safari Summer Top" because I like the idea of having the screened sun/moon roof to let some shaded light and air in when I'm in the mood for it! Yeah, it's considerably more than a plain old bikini top but, heck, I just saved almost $25 by NOT ordering the lighter!

Thanks again y'all!

Nick

Thought I would share that the general lighter from NAPA, part number 1601 was the exact correct size!! $5.50. I put a outside caliper on it, and it is within .2MM of the same OD.

The original outside collar will still work on the new one (if you want) and if you retap the power connection it can screw on the back side. Alternatively, if your "guts" are good on your original, you can just use the chrome bezel piece to stay even more original.

I have to give credit to trainrech for pointing me to NAPA.
DSC07541.JPG
DSC07543.JPG
DSC07544.JPG

If it's the dash part you're wanting to work for plugging in accessories, you can dismantle your current one and clean it up. I was able to bring mine back to a working condition with a little bench time. The part that mounts in the dash is very simple and just supplies power/grounding for the lighter insert. Often a good cleaning of the contacts is all it needs.

But then again, the NAPA part is priced right too...

good vendors

I'd highly recommend the bikini top from OCD and the factory replica channel from AATLAS.
100_3172.jpg

My chrome was pitted and rusty, and when I took it apart, it fell apart when I touched the bottom contact. For 5 bucks, and as it is almost an exact match.... <DONE>

And I suspect that SOR is selling the same thing for 25 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom