New and Looking for First Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have been wanting to add an FJ40 for quite awhile and am finally settled and at a point where I can. I have found a 1970 FJ40 locally that I am considering and was looking for any advice or obvious red flags. I am new to FJs and new here and am leaning on the wealth of experience within this forum. This 1970 is modified, has a stock LS 5.3L, extended front end, high steer kit, air lockers, 4.88 gears, power steering, tilt column, front disks, dual batteries, winch, etc. To my knowledge, the the 4 speed and axles are stock FJ. I have been searching a bit and prices are all over. This one appears to be built well and I am looking for a small block conversion. The seller is asking $35k and I am wondering if this seems reasonable and if there are any red flags from a durability perspective (things i will most likely have to redo) Here are a few photos.
Thank you.
FJ 2.jpg

FJ 3.jpg

FJ 5.jpg

FJ 7.jpg

FJ 6.jpg

That's set up to do some wheeling. What are your intended uses?
Yes it is. I will most likely not do any hard core wheeling. Mostly logging trails, National Forest to and from shooting spots, camping, beach and bit of sand dunes and up and down the West coast (highway).

Without knowing a whole lot more about that truck, it's WAY overpriced. He may have that much in it, but......
I really appreciate the replies. What is the main reason its overpriced? Just asking as it seems that all I am finding is a minimum of $30k. Even looking through the classified here it seems everything is priced in the low 30's on up.

Depends what you want but for 35k this is probably one of the last ones i'd be looking at
Can anyone explain why? I apologize for being naïve. I am not looking for completely stock nor an original restore. I would like a blend of the old school FJ with some modern day conveniences. Something that is reliable and can take me and the wife through the mountains, forest, beach and up and down the coast. Based on the experience here, if its better to get something that has not been modified, I am mechanically inclined and can build it the way I want. At this point I was trying to find something more done.

I echo the price is too damn high sentiment. For that price everything better be fully restored. It should feel to you like you're buying a brand new vehicle at that point. Not that it is not nicely done up, but I would think at most for that would be somewhere in the $20k range max.

I think these old things get a higher price point when fully restored more than if they're done up as a nice off-roader. I'm sure there's lots of nice mods on it, but at this point you could buy a jeep for much less with probably more done up if that's what you're looking for. If you wanted a nice off roading FJ40 specifically, it's not going to be in that price range in my personal opinion.

I echo the price is too damn high sentiment. For that price everything better be fully restored. It should feel to you like you're buying a brand new vehicle at that point. Not that it is not nicely done up, but I would think at most for that would be somewhere in the $20k range max.

I think these old things get a higher price point when fully restored more than if they're done up as a nice off-roader. I'm sure there's lots of nice mods on it, but at this point you could buy a jeep for much less with probably more done up if that's what you're looking for. If you wanted a nice off roading FJ40 specifically, it's not going to be in that price range in my personal opinion.
Thank you, much appreciated! If you guys have a lead on a reasonably priced FJ, I’m open!

Can anyone explain why? I apologize for being naïve. I am not looking for completely stock nor an original restore. I would like a blend of the old school FJ with some modern day conveniences. Something that is reliable and can take me and the wife through the mountains, forest, beach and up and down the coast. Based on the experience here, if its better to get something that has not been modified, I am mechanically inclined and can build it the way I want. At this point I was trying to find something more done.
Here is one with similar look, and half the price. No affiliation,

The reason most here are saying it is too high is because a modified rig has less value than a rig closer to original. Considering the asking price here is what I see. Hard to tell how well done the interior is. The wiring under the hood could be done cleaner. It is always hard to tell from pictures how well an engine replacement was done but messy wiring is an indication that there may have been some corners cut. The suspension may be done well but again hard to tell how complete the job was especially if the transmission/transfer cases and axels haven’t been gone through. That is where my questions would begin for this rig. Whether it is a fair deal or not is totally up to you. For that money though you do have options that probably have more value.

The reason most here are saying it is too high is because a modified rig has less value than a rig closer to original. Considering the asking price here is what I see. Hard to tell how well done the interior is. The wiring under the hood could be done cleaner. It is always hard to tell from pictures how well an engine replacement was done but messy wiring is an indication that there may have been some corners cut. The suspension may be done well but again hard to tell how complete the job was especially if the transmission/transfer cases and axels haven’t been gone through. That is where my questions would begin for this rig. Whether it is a fair deal or not is totally up to you. For that money though you do have options that probably have more value.
I really appreciate this. I agree about the wiring and under the hood in general. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to ask. Thanks for the time to explain.

You're description of what you want in a 40 and what that 40 is, are 2 different things. It looks like a wheeler that drives ok.
I agree it's way too much. It appears on my crappy phone to have metal bolted to the 1/4"s and most of the body has been cut. I'd bet the driveline is geared low for crawling. It looks Iike flj60 axles, if it has an arb in the frt it probably has upgraded alloy axles. It looks like it has a range box too. 4,.88s will be running about 2800rpm at 60mph. Spring over & reverse frt shackle. There's been a lot of modifications to get everything to work. That's fine if that's what you want, just be sure its done right. Have you looked in the classifieds on this site. There's some folks doing quality work.
You can find stk, modified and projects.

Last edited:
Based on what you plan to use this for; I think the one you are looking at is way overbuilt. It sounds like you will doing a lot of driving to remote locations and need to accommodate the wife so I’d recommend a more stock vehicle, mild lift, all terrains, etc. a sprung over 40 on Iroks isn’t necessary for forest roads, country driving and camping. Good luck with the search. You will find something nice in the $35k range

Based on what you plan to use this for; I think the one you are looking at is way overbuilt. It sounds like you will doing a lot of driving to remote locations and need to accommodate the wife so I’d recommend a more stock vehicle, mild lift, all terrains, etc. a sprung over 40 on Iroks isn’t necessary for forest roads, country driving and camping. Good luck with the search. You will find something nice in the $35k range
Hey, thanks! I agree with you guys. I like the idea over the overbuilt, rock crawling capable FJ in theory, but as stated probably not the best direction for what I am wanting/needing. I like your suggestion above and have revised my search a bit.

X2 on WAY overbuilt for your purposes. My advice is to find one with minimal lift and tires 33" maximum, preferably smaller.
Also, as Mud member Pighead would say, stop calling this model an FJ. It's a 40. FJ is FJ Cruiser.

Edit: The blue one you're looking at here in MUD classifieds-that's more like it.

Last edited:
Highway driving with 4.88s and a 4 speed won't be happy on the highway.

I'm running 33x10.50s with 3.70 gears to keep highway RPM down. At 50 MPH the SBC is turning spinning about 2000 RPM. Yet it'll still chug along at 10 mph in fourth gear (even though 4th is about 25% overdrive). It limits rock crawling ability, but it's very happy on logging roads, moderate trails, and areas where there once was a road, stream, or skidder trail.

Depends on what you want...but I echo the others that the price seems too high for a Franken40. You're getting the shell of a 40, but not much else. If you want more of the classic, original look I'd keep looking. Look for something with not many mods done, 2.5" lift and 33/10.50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom