New and Looking for First Purchase Advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its a nicely Built 40 but not 35k .20-25 k would have it in my driveway already . I am actually Building 1 of my 40s up like this one . I have talked to the owner before I know he said it just needs paint I am not sure if it is in Primer ? Yes you can find one cheaper but you will stall pay 10-15 k for a clean un rusted 40. Then add in all the cost to build up and the time . You can drop 10 -15 easy in the blink of the eye .

I know this is not helpful….I have no idea what kind of person keeps a garage that clean! I have to walk sideways in mine AND THERE ARE NO CARS IN IT!

I appreciate all the feedback and added information!
Do you guys have a rough idea on fair price for this project and are there any obvious red flags, as far as extreme mis-matched parts? Both jump seats are included, as well as various parts I have not been able to look through yet. The engine appears original and is not running per the current owner.
Thanks again.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

11.jpg

5k on the high end. Non running. diamond plate is never good , I traded My Samurai for 1 that i have that was in about the same condition as that one . I got lucky and the Diamond plate was just to cover a dent .

As above I personally would run from diamond plate, especially on a 40 usually hides rust. Cut fenders are not my jam either. Be patient the truck will come to you for your budget.

No luck in the classifieds here?

I would say the more modifications, the less people will want to work on your FJ40 & forget walking into a parts store!

I would suggest buying something off this site as usually you get the complete build history in the site threads. Well worth a few extra dollars 😀

I have seen a few decent FJ40s on Toyota Land Cruiser Marketplace | Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/LCMarket/?ref=share but you have to sift through a lot of 80s and 100s and other cruisers. Patience is really the key. If you can be patient you can get a reasonable deal and get something that fits your needs.

One thing about cruiser prices, there is a huge difference between what people ask for them and what they are actually selling for. A lot of times the ones for $35k, like your example, will be for sale for months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom