-- New 85 BJ70 3B Owner Looking for Turbo Upgrade -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BJ-70_7.jpg

Ahhh so that’s where that one went to.

air to air is going to be custom made.
Gturbos are a good upgrade, or you could try and look for a Garrett GT2025 or similar series.

:popcorn:

Has anyone ever attempted to put a 6BT in a BJ70 .. I realize there would be some modification to the floor and firewall to squeak a 6BT engine in but I would rather not use a pumped 4BT .. I know their is a lot of money that I would be out of pocket for the entire drive train but I think when the B3 Engine goes after it is pumped that I will endeavor to 6BT this bad boy ..

I've don't know why my I can't send mail from .. I read from Onur post that @Diesel42 / Keith from Redding was selling 3B Turbo Kits ..

Has anyone ever experimented with a Air - Air intercooler where Freon can be switched in and temperature controlled by a thermostat ? ..

6BT would be pretty heavy as you probably are aware. Bit taller too than any Toyota straight six.

Yeah, My first choice would have been a Cummins 5BT from the late 60's up to the late 70's .. They were used
in designed for use in panel truck that go up and down steep hills .. At that time drum brakes were kinda the
thing and because of that every 3 months these trucks would need brake drums .. Sure things changed as
disc brakes became more common but the Cummins 5BT was stroked longer that the 4BT & 6BT .. Yes they
were about 3-4 inches taller than the 6BT but they had an incredible amount of torque . . They were not lighter
than the 6BT so that was a disadvantage but as an engine brake they were fantastic .. The monster torque and
low hp meant they couldn't get out of their own way but the mileage on the 5BT was legendary .. Because of
the relatively low RPM / Friction 5BT continue to work for a million miles .. No joke .. I believe Cummins made
a big mistake when they ended life on that engine .. Sadly, you won't find any in the wild .. People that have
them NEVER give them up .. I looked for years for a 5BT engine .. Still nut'n ..

I read somewhere that their is a variable turbo with a high fin count that makes 4BT's sing .. The article also said that that engine configuration gets poor mileage but make incredible power from the 4BT .. Anyone know read anything about this ? .. I think is was a late model Subaru Turbo ..

Well I think I have just found the Engine for the BJ70 .. I have a request for quote for a 12H-T to a company in Australia and the accompanying automatic transmission .. This will be a much better engine swap than a 4BT .. I have read that the 12H-T handles a dual squeeze / Turbo very well .. May not need that but at least there is an upgrade path ..

I read that turbos added to the 3B engine should not have the waste gates turned up past ten because of heads cracking .. I have also read that their is a manufacturer in Australia who sells upgraded heads that will run at 20 lbs without issue .. The trouble is that it will require new pistons because the OEM pistons will crack .. I think the 12H-T with intercooler will suffice quite well, that is, if I can acquire them ..

Last edited:
Well I think I have just found the Engine for the BJ70 .. I have a request for quote for a 12H-T to a company in Australia and they accompanying automatic transmission .. This will be a much better engine swap than a 4BT .. I have read that the 12H-T handles a dual squeeze / Turbo very well .. May not need that but at least their is an upgrade path ..

I read that turbos added to the 3B engine should not have the waste gates turned up past ten because of heads cracking .. I have also read that their is a manufacturer in Australia who sells upgraded heads that will run at 20 lbs without issue .. The trouble is that it will require new pistons because the OEM pistons will crack .. I think the 12H-T with intercooler will suffice quite well, that is, if I can acquire them ..

15bfte is a cool engine as well.

Well I think I have just found the Engine for the BJ70 .. I have a request for quote for a 12H-T to a company in Australia and they accompanying automatic transmission .. This will be a much better engine swap than a 4BT .. I have read that the 12H-T handles a dual squeeze / Turbo very well .. May not need that but at least their is an upgrade path ..

Excellent thread from @Billyfj7312ht putting a 12HT and restoring an FJ73
Builds - Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that

That said, the 12HT is getting a bit harder and harder to find. Talk to @roma042987 as he rebuilds 12HT's and his work looks excellent. These were only made a few years much like the 13BT, so parts will just be harder and harder to get as years go by.
A 13BT would be a very simple swap and give you more power and potential, but it's not going to be a huge difference over a nicely turbo 3B. (besides Direct Injection and factory turbo reliability vs turbo 3B)

Otherwise, why not Cummins 2.8? Slap a brand new one in, $7,699 straight off of Cummins website. Conversion bellhousing/flywheel and parts are $875 from Quickdraw Cummins R2.8 Toyota H42 diesel engine swap adapter kits
  • Horsepower: 161 hp (120 kW)
  • Torque: 310 lb-ft (420 Nm)
You can tune them up some, I know a few companies are doing that.

Isuzu 4BD1T series? Cheap, parts all over the place for them.

Excellent thread from @Billyfj7312ht putting a 12HT and restoring an FJ73
Builds - Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that

That said, the 12HT is getting a bit harder and harder to find. Talk to @roma042987 as he rebuilds 12HT's and his work looks excellent. These were only made a few years much like the 13BT, so parts will just be harder and harder to get as years go by.
A 13BT would be a very simple swap and give you more power and potential, but it's not going to be a huge difference over a nicely turbo 3B. (besides Direct Injection and factory turbo reliability vs turbo 3B)

Otherwise, why not Cummins 2.8? Slap a brand new one in, $7,699 straight off of Cummins website. Conversion bellhousing/flywheel and parts are $875 from Quickdraw Cummins R2.8 Toyota H42 diesel engine swap adapter kits
  • Horsepower: 161 hp (120 kW)
  • Torque: 310 lb-ft (420 Nm)
You can tune them up some, I know a few companies are doing that.

Isuzu 4BD1T series? Cheap, parts all over the place for them.

From what I have read about the 2.8 it has head cracking issues around the valves especially .. I read about a guy to put a double squeeze / turbo on his R2.8 which then developed problems .. The engines are made in China and the metallurgy / steel composition is not up to par .. The 4BT engines survive a double squeeze but are crappy on millage so I have read .. I read that you can already buy a new head for the R2.8 that fixes this problem and the new heads use was for the aforementioned double squeeze / turbo .. The pistons would also naturally need to be replaced with a double squeeze but that shouldn't be an issue .. I would like to see a Kitted 2.8 Engine with the upgrades and then yes I would definitely purchase one ..

Regarding the 12H-T engines .. Yes, it seems that this engine was especially popular in Australia .. Lots of parts in Australia including a transmission upgrade kit which I will purchase if I am able to land the engine / tranny combo ..

Last edited:
In the video Cummins R2.8 is a real winner .. They say "that is if you pump up the engine they hint that there could be issues" .. They also said that without the EGR and Catalytic Converter that the Hp gets a bump which is "Noice" .. The Biggest takeaway is the unsprung / over axle weight reduction .. With Cat / EGR its 161 Hp but without they don't specify (for obvious reasons) .. The stock turbo runs up to 22 lbs and peaks about 27 ..

So looking at a professional review of the R2.8 this is what they had to say ..

Cummins R2.8, ISF2.8 Engine Problems and Reliability
The ISF2.8 is built and assembled in China. Cummins says what the ISF2.8 engine has 300,000 miles (500,000 km) longevity. But in reality, this engine has a terrible reputation on the Asian market because of low-quality assembling and materials. The most common failure of this engine is a quick wearing of cylinder walls. As a result, increased oil consumption. The next problem is bad connecting rod bearings damaging a crankshaft. Besides that, the engine easily overheats. There is a high risk of coolant penetration inside cylinders. The list goes on and on. The ISF 2.8 engine meets Euro 3, Euro 4 emission standards, depending on modifications.

The R2.8 is built in the Cummins factory in Columbus, Indiana (500 engines in 2017) and carries a 90-day warranty only. They use engine blocks machined at Cummins's Chinese plant. The crate R2.8 engine meets EPA's Tier 0 (LDT 1 and 2) and Tier 1 emissions standards. In this case, it is suitable only for vehicles produced until 1999.

So a crate motor to improve reliability it would need better alloy head & piston sleeves, and stronger pistons .. I think that addressing Cummins with a person email quoting this might get them to respond .. It's not like China doesn't have better alloy materials .. They do ..

I don't want to have to put money into what appears to be a "Great Solution" only to find that Cummins hasn't made their China Builder use materials necessary for the longevity of their motors .. We all expect R2.8 to stand up to the wear and tear or why else would we put that much money in an engine swap if in 5 years the engine is going to have to be rebuilt .. Cummins reputation as a provider of "Long Life" Diesel engines is now tarnished in my humble opinion in regards to the R2.8 ..

The Cummins 2.3L naturally aspirated engine had a very good reliability rating and is well known in South East Asia as being the go to engine .. But put a Turbo on 2.3 and head and piston cracking occurs ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom