-- New 85 BJ70 3B Owner Looking for Turbo Upgrade -- (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd imagine the electronics would be difficult. But, I've never done an engine swap so I can't speak from experience.

Yes, that is a real issue but I have found a shop in San Antonio TX that specializes in Diesel Engine swaps of all types .. I just like the idea of having a late model engine and tranny in the BJ70 .. After reading about the 1HD motors and transmissions they seem to have a very good track record ..

If I went the R2.8 way I would still have to purchase an automatic transmission and a custom bell housing .. I have been reading about two possible candidates .. Their is an 8 speed (high efficiency) GM auto tranny and a dodge 8 speed auto tranny both of them have been used in R2.8 Builds .. But this would be a lot more money than what I would invest for the 1HD + Tranny .. I would imagine the engine swap would be in the neighborhood of $10k .. I am waiting on word from Diesel Toys San Antonia TX ..

If anyone else has a lead on a shop who might do an engine swap of a 1HD I would be very happy to hear of it ! ..

I read some reviews and they do a lot of swaps .. By enlarge, they appear to be capable and credible .. They have done many diesel engine swaps ..

If anyone has recommendation for places that specialize in Diesel Engine swaps, mod's, rebuilding diesel engines and transmissions, Please Let Me Know ..

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1KD-FTV engine and transmission from Australia at $6k with only 15k miles on the engine and transmission .. The Late Model FJ Cruiser was totaled but the engine and tranny are solid .. I am going to jump on this deal as this engine makes 170 hp @ 3400 rpm, and 260 lb⋅ft of torque .. I don't know yet if I can strip the EGR from the engine but I will do some inquiries .. The ECU should be programmable to disclude the EGR apparatus .. I just need to find a shop to talk to about this kind of a shop .. Any recommendation ? ..

Are you doing most of the swap or trying to get a shop to do it?

Richy_Driving_From_FL_9-17-2020.jpg

This is my son driving the vehicle from the dealership in Sarasota FL today .. The A/C control mechanism in the cab is jammed so he can't use the A/C ..

I'm looking for a shop at this time ..

You will be looking at $25k minimum for a diesel swap...more along the lines of $30-$40.

Diesel toys swap prices are $32K minimum for 1HD-FTE
REsurrection Land Cruisers R2.8/tranny swap starts at $40k

Not sure what people would do/cost/warranty if you provided the engine.

Now maybe I missed it, and it's your money, but why exactly are you wanting to get rid of the turbo 3B thats in their already?

You will be looking at $25k minimum for a diesel swap...more along the lines of $30-$40.

Diesel toys swap prices are $32K minimum for 1HD-FTE
REsurrection Land Cruisers R2.8/tranny swap starts at $40k

Not sure what people would do/cost/warranty if you provided the engine.

Now maybe I missed it, and it's your money, but why exactly are you wanting to get rid of the turbo 3B thats in their already?

It's just a 3B .. I am interested if you know of someone selling turbo kits for a 3B upgrade .. That would suffice .. The 3B engine in the BJ70 has low miles on it currently .. I have a 14ft camper I would like to tow that I don't know the weight but its a double axle ..

It's just a 3B .. I am interested if you know of someone selling turbo kits for a 3B upgrade .. That would suffice .. The 3B engine in the BJ70 has low miles on it currently .. I have a 14ft camper I would like to tow that I don't know the weight but its a double axle ..

Well... this is interesting.

That most definitely is a turbo on there...
43.jpg

Now I'll just tell you, and I'm not trying to rub it in or be a jerk, but you got taken and lied to... you paid SIGNIFICANTLY more than what this truck was selling for here on ih8mud in september. It definitely wasn't in an old mans collection, the engine/trans wasn't restored recently. The ebay guy, bought it cheap, I don't think he even painted it, just touched up/ just cleaned/polished it, sloshed some black paint on the frame, painted the winch, oversprayed all over, no bodywork and flipped it on ebay. Same bumpers/tires/rims/red transfercase/sagging headliner/etc etc etc...He put less that 100 kilometers on that.

For Sale - 1985 BJ70 - LHD 12V ARB Lockers 3B Turbo in NJ

Not telling you this to make you feel bad, I just think you need to talk to that seller on eBay. I think the truck is pretty solid overall, and was a decent price on mud for a BJ70 that needed some work.

Not sure if you can do anything, but good luck. Seems like the engine is good according to the seller on mud.

Well... this is interesting.

That most definitely is a turbo on there...
43.jpg

Now I'll just tell you, and I'm not trying to rub it in or be a jerk, but you got taken and lied to... you paid SIGNIFICANTLY more than what this truck was selling for here on ih8mud in september. It definitely wasn't in an old mans collection, the engine/trans wasn't restored recently. The ebay guy, bought it cheap, I don't think he even painted it, just touched up/ just cleaned/polished it, sloshed some black paint on the frame, painted the winch, oversprayed all over, no bodywork and flipped it on ebay. Same bumpers/tires/rims/red transfercase/sagging headliner/etc etc etc...He put less that 100 kilometers on that.

For Sale - 1985 BJ70 - LHD 12V ARB Lockers 3B Turbo in NJ

Not telling you this to make you feel bad, I just think you need to talk to that seller on eBay. I think the truck is pretty solid overall, and was a decent price on mud for a BJ70 that needed some work.

Not sure if you can do anything, but good luck. Seems like the engine is good according to the seller on mud.

From the picture is this a 3B engine with a turbo upgrade or some other engine ?

Wheel_came_off.jpg

The wheel came off 150 miles from Sarasota .. A toe truck is on the way and I will split the repair bill for the hubs / rotors / studs / lugs .. The Lugs they had on the vehicle were PLASTIC .. My son said several lugs were missing from other wheels .. IF this vehicle had been traveling at high speeds it could have lost all the wheels .. Fortunately my son was in a parking lot getting a bite to eat and had to turn sharply when the wheel came off ..

Wow... glad he is ok.... seller better make it right..

Wow... glad he is ok.... seller better make it right..

Seller / Dealership is saying they want me to pay half .. My son was approached by a guy who was from a random dealership .. He said that Florida State Law Requires a multipoint inspection to be done before any used car sale .. I've asked to see the document that shows that the vehicle has had an inspection .. I am waiting for the dealership guy to get back to me .. I'll call a Florida Attorney tomorrow to see where I stand legally .. I honestly still want the vehicle .. But if they don't make it right then maybe I'll change my mind .. Yes, their are a lot of little things wrong with the vehicle but I figured I could tinker with it and fix what I could ..

Seller / Dealership is saying they want me to pay half .. My son was approached by a guy who was from a random dealership .. He said that Florida State Law Requires a multipoint inspection to be done before any used car sale .. I've asked to see the document that shows that the vehicle has had an inspection .. I am waiting for the dealership guy to get back to me .. I'll call a Florida Attorney tomorrow to see where I stand legally .. I honestly still want the vehicle .. But if they don't make it right then maybe I'll change my mind .. Yes, their are a lot of little things wrong with the vehicle but I figured I could tinker with it and fix what I could ..

Glad he is safe. I would seriously check with an attorney about the lying on the ad to begin with. I suppose the eBay seller's out is "thats what I was told" which is a crock. Someone from here called the guy and asked him about it to which he lied a bit and then backed out...
So up to you, but I for sure wouldn't do half on the repairs, and I would send this thing back to them. My guess is you will be sorting crap out they did for a long time.

I didn't go through ebay .. I called the number he had listed on ebay and made a deal with him directly .. I know it was a lot for the vehicle but I had no idea that the wheels were going to fall off .. Yes, a Florida Attorney ..

Spoke to a Florida Attorney, About the only thing he would say was I did have grounds to return the car but he was quick to say @ $450/Hr it would cost about $10k .. Did I want to sacrifice $10k for a return of $15k ? .. I told him twice that the contract called the vehicle a 1985 when the vin plate shows that it is a 1984 .. The sales contract I signed was not correct ..

Last edited:
I didn't go through ebay .. I called the number he had listed on ebay and made a deal with him directly .. I know it was a lot for the vehicle but I had no idea that the wheels were going to fall off .. Yes, a Florida Attorney ..

Spoke to a Florida Attorney, About the only thing he would say was I did have grounds to return the car but he was quick to say @ $450/Hr it would cost about $10k .. Did I want to sacrifice $10k for a return of $15k ? .. I told him twice that the contract called the vehicle a 1985 when the vin plate shows that it is a 1984 .. The sales contract I signed was not correct ..

I see it's back on ebay. Were you able to get out of this alright?

I see it's back on ebay. Were you able to get out of this alright?

Yeah, I am working on getting rid of it .. I paid $875 for a new brake rotor, all new high strength racing studs, one wheel spacer and lug nuts .. What happened to my son won’t happen to the next buyer .. $15k was out of the question for an engine swap .. That’s only for the swap a any fabrication to make that work .. In addition it would have cost $9-11k for a 4/6BT Cummins motors .. They don’t get very good Diesel mileage .. The R2.8 motor has a very poor track record in Asia where it was first introduced .. The Aussies won’t touch the R2.8 because of poor Chinese metallurgy in the sleeves, and heads .. If Cummins would fix these things then that engine would be a winner .. I also tried an Aussie engine and tranny reseller .. To get a 1HD-FT 6 cyl 4.2L 24v Turbo engine and tranny when they can get them they get snapped up quick and go for $15k without shipping .. $30k+ for an engine redo was insane .. So I bought a 1995 80 series HDJ81 with 97k miles on it for $30k .. Pristine interior, all leather clean undercarriage.. The vehicle must have been owned by a woman ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom