New 80 Series Tailgate Storage option from Notch @ Back Bay Customs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soo close yet so far. s***ty Canuck Buck...
Looks like a very well engineered product that I would love to get my hands on but with shipping I would probably be pretty close to $1k...

IMG_8020.JPG
IMG_8021.JPG
Very happy with this product...it fits, it works, it looks great and is well built! Thanks fellas...I now have a place to hide my wife's'S XMAS presents...I added a little extra foam I had from a sound deadening project. otherwise I just followed the instructions. FYI this is her rig and she is getting a full load of recovery gear...and now it will have a new home!

View attachment 1371053 View attachment 1371054 Very happy with this product...it fits, it works, it looks great and is well built! Thanks fellas...I now have a place to hide my wife's'S XMAS presents...I added a little extra foam I had from a sound deadening project. otherwise I just followed the instructions. FYI this is her rig and she is getting a full load of recovery gear...and now it will have a new home!

@papabeach, I like the foam. What did you do with the wiring? Had you already rerouted to relocate license plate, or?

@papabeach, I like the foam. What did you do with the wiring? Had you already rerouted to relocate license plate, or?

...just taped it down per your instructions and covered it with the foam

Great looking product, well done. I've got a WagonGear lid myself, anyone on the fence about ordering one of these should know that these storage lids are one of the best mods I've ever done. Nice to see some new skin in the game....hoping to see more ingenuity out of you as I'm still looking to keep adding goodies to my '92 :).

Got mine installed yesterday. Looks great. Attention to detail and quality is obvious when working with it. No cut corners.
One lesson I learned - watch the foam pads in the tailgate when cutting the sheetmetal - had me a little fire there for a moment.
Glad I did it.

LC_TailgateLid_Closed.JPG

LC_TailgateLid_Open.JPG

Looks great! I'm glad you're happy with it.

2 more days to pre-order at $580 shipped. After the January 1st the price will be $605. The next batch is about 4 1/2 weeks out.

Happy New Year! Thanks for all the orders around midnight. That was a fun way for me to start 2017.

So the normal price is now $605. I'm working on getting better shipping rates and cutting component costs so there is a special IH8MUD checkout link with a reduced price. Thanks for all the support!

I installed my tailgate storage panel from Back Bay Customs and couldn’t be happier. A true work of art and great attention to detail. Thank you @Notch for bringing this product to market (side storage panels next ?:D)

There had been some discussion in a few threads about ideas for carpeting the access panel. I was able to re-purpose the stock carpet and now have a soft place to sit and my dogs are able to jump in and out without slipping.

After typical installation of the access panel here are the steps I followed for the carpet:

1. I removed the stock carpet from stock backboard by pulling stitching and staples from the plastic welt around all four sides. It is also adhered to the board with contact cement but at 20 yrs old the adhesive had lost most of its stick. I pulled the plastic edging from the top edge of the stock backboard and was able to reuse that on the top of the new access panel.

2. There had been some earlier discussion as to whether a “stealth” carpet install would be possible to hide the storage area. This would be very easy and the stock carpet is almost exactly the same dimension, including radiused corners, as the Notch panel. A good quality Velcro around the edges would work just fine for this method. The latches are thin enough that they are not a noticeable bump under the carpet.

3. The stock carpet is backed with a vinyl/rubber material that was still in good shape after all the years. I researched adhering carpet to aluminum on the boating forums and ended up using 3M Super 77 spray contact adhesive.

4. For permanent adhesion both surfaces need to be coated with adhesive. From past experience, spray adhesive overspray gets EVERYWHERE and so I carefully masked off the surrounding vehicle, access door edges, lock holes, interior door stops, and access panel hinge.

5. With this adhesive there is really no repositioning so the original placement of the carpet needs to be right. No second chances :). To this end I marked the center of the carpet with a corresponding mark on the access panel.

6. I sprayed both surfaces, waited till the tack was correct per 3M’s instructions, and then placed the carpet on the access panel working from the center outward towards the edges. The carpet was then weighted with plywood and about 100 lbs evenly distributed for 24 hours.

7. Probing with a needle, I was able to locate the gap between the door and frame and then using an x-acto knife I sliced the cut all around the edges of the door. The lock holes were trimmed in the same way.

8. There is enough pile thickness in the stock carpet that when the locks are installed they sit slightly below the level of the carpet for a nice flush look.

9. When the door is closed and latched you have to look twice to see the outline of the carpet cuts.

Rubber backing of stock carpet
2.JPG

Masking off for spraying
3.JPG

Carpet installed
4.JPG

Closeup of latch inset in carpet
5.JPG

Finished product
6.JPG

Last edited:
I installed my tailgate storage panel from Back Bay Customs and couldn’t be happier. A true work of art and great attention to detail. Thank you @Notch for bringing this product to market (side storage panels next ?:D)

There had been some discussion in a few threads about ideas for carpeting the access panel. I was able to re-purpose the stock carpet and now have a soft place to sit and my dogs are able to jump in and out without slipping.

After typical installation of the access panel here are the steps I followed for the carpet:

1. I removed the stock carpet from stock backboard by pulling stitching and staples from the plastic welt around all four sides. It is also adhered to the board with contact cement but at 20 yrs old the adhesive had lost most of its stick. I pulled the plastic edging from the top edge of the stock backboard and was able to reuse that on the top of the new access panel.

2. There had been some earlier discussion as to whether a “stealth” carpet install would be possible to hide the storage area. This would be very easy and the stock carpet is almost exactly the same dimension, including radiused corners, as the Notch panel. A good quality Velcro around the edges would work just fine for this method. The latches are thin enough that they are a not noticeable bump under the carpet.

3. The stock carpet is backed with a vinyl/rubber material that was still in good shape after all the years. I researched adhering carpet to aluminum on the boating forums and ended up using 3M Super 77 spray contact adhesive.

4. For permanent adhesion both surfaces need to be coated with adhesive. From past experience, spray adhesive overspray gets EVERYWHERE and so I carefully masked off the surrounding vehicle, access door edges, lock holes, interior door stops, and access panel hinge.

5. With this adhesive there is really no repositioning so the original placement of the carpet needs to be right. No second chances :). To this end I marked the center of the carpet with a corresponding mark on the access panel.

6. I sprayed both surfaces, waited till the tack was correct per 3M’s instructions, and then placed the carpet on the access panel working from the center outward towards the edges. The carpet was then weighted with plywood and about 100 lbs evenly distributed for 24 hours.

7. Probing with a needle, I was able to locate the gap between the door and frame and then using an x-acto knife I sliced the cut all around the edges of the door. The lock holes were trimmed in the same way.

8. There is enough pile thickness in the stock carpet that when the locks are installed they sit slightly below the level of the carpet for a nice flush look.

9. When the door is closed and latched you have to look twice to see the outline of the carpet cuts.

Love it! Great job on the carpet install. There are a few of these getting some really nice modifications already. The service info on the bottom is a great idea too.

The next batch of panels are coming back from the laser cutters tomorrow! For those of you waiting for your storage panel, I should be able to start shipping within 10 days.

I took my 80 camping in the North Maine Woods recently. I can now say the storage panels are officially tested to -15F. This Land Rover was so cold in the morning it would even crank, so I'm donating some warm exhaust to get him going.

20170108_100042.jpg

Beautiful work. You're in North Deering?

Cool. I will. With my 97 Lx after birf and tie rod are done.

Cool. I will. With my 97 Lx after birf and tie rod are done.
Sounds good. If you ever need help with mechanical or repair work just let me know.

Me and the guys at the shop were busy crafting the components for this batch of panels today. Here's a shot of the lift strut brackets, ready for packing. All the holes are fixtured and cut on our Bridgeport and the stud spacers are turned on a sweet, old South Bend lathe. I saw a couple orders with the MUD discount come through recently. Thanks guys!
20170117_113652.jpg

Things are moving on these. I have the edge profile finalized and the lift strut located and working great with a fabricated lower bracket and a welded tab on the lid. Both powdercoat colors are picked out. I have boxes of hinges, latches and hardware ready to go. Waiting on the laser cutter is the hard part. They are good at what they do so they are busy.

We had a great camping trip last weekend in Western Maine. The prototype storage lid got a lot of use. It's so sweet to have access to it without unpacking. The climb up to the "site" was really loose gravel with some mini-fridge size rocks mixed in. I had to winch over a rock at one point and when I had to open the lid to get a shackle it was obvious that a lift strut is really nice to have when you are parked nose up.

View attachment 1332862

View attachment 1332864

View attachment 1332869
Looks nice I'll try and set my budget aside

@mingles Great job on the carpet, looks super! This is how I would do it as well, solves all the issues I have with an aluminum storage lid, it gets COLD here and bare aluminum would suck half the year.

So Much WANT!.
Would you guys ship to aus? if so how much roughly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom