New 80 in Phoenix - Emissions Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I'm Randy and we recently relocated from western Colorado to the PHX metro area. Despite my forum name, I've long gotten ride of the 60 series, and now daily drive a '97 80 series.

I'm curious to know the extent of emissions testing in Maricopa county? Despite the mods on my rig, it does still have the emissions kit, and a new CC in 2020. I understand they won't do a sniff test, but I'm curious if they'll hook up to check codes? I have intermittent O2 sensor errors, and am a bit cash strapped to replace both of them at the moment (if anyone is interested in hiring a retired LEO....😎).

My reg is expired and I need to get this done next week. Just wanting to know expectations before I schedule my emissions test.

Thanks!

Is the Check Engine light illuminated right now? If not, take it on in and have them plug into your OBD2 port. You might just pass at that, and can move on with life in the desert.

If the CEL is illuminated, you'll want to figure out the codes and make a determination if they'll clear for a few cold starts, hot restarts, etc. Once you reset the codes, the OBD2 will report as "Not Ready" if you take it in to have it tested before it's had a few cycles. In that case, they'll collect the test fee, but you'll fail and be allowed to bring it back in a few days - after a few cold and hot starts - for that original fee. Bring your prior test slip, which will show as "Not Ready".

Also, most of them time I've had an issue was the gas cap not sealing properly. This is cheap insurance, and they may or may not have one to give you for free if that part fails. A few years back, the State legislature funded free gas caps as this was a common failure point, so they keep a stock of the most common ones, and replace yours if they have one that fits.. Also somewhat common are P0401 codes for the intake; these may be vacuum leaks.

Also, be aware that AZ Dept of Environmental Quality (DEQ) runs the program statewide and has many testing locations where you can just drive in and pick the riht lane based on your vehicle year. Here's their link;

Did the LandCruiser pass emissions in your home county in Colorado? Welcome to the desert,

Is the Check Engine light illuminated right now? If not, take it on in and have them plug into your OBD2 port. You might just pass at that, and can move on with life in the desert.

If the CEL is illuminated, you'll want to figure out the codes and make a determination if they'll clear for a few cold starts, hot restarts, etc. Once you reset the codes, the OBD2 will report as "Not Ready" if you take it in to have it tested before it's had a few cycles. In that case, they'll collect the test fee, but you'll fail and be allowed to bring it back in a few days - after a few cold and hot starts - for that original fee. Bring your prior test slip, which will show as "Not Ready".

Also, most of them time I've had an issue was the gas cap not sealing properly. This is cheap insurance, and they may or may not have one to give you for free if that part fails. A few years back, the State legislature funded free gas caps as this was a common failure point, so they keep a stock of the most common ones, and replace yours if they have one that fits.. Also somewhat common are P0401 codes for the intake; these may be vacuum leaks.

Also, be aware that AZ Dept of Environmental Quality (DEQ) runs the program statewide and has many testing locations where you can just drive in and pick the riht lane based on your vehicle year. Here's their link;

Did the LandCruiser pass emissions in your home county in Colorado? Welcome to the desert,
Thanks Longduck, precisely what I was looking for and very helpful!

I don't have a CEL on at all, and wonder if the Scan gauge is just acting oddly. Sometimes there are no codes, others there are several.

My 80 spent it entire life in 2 counties in Colorado (I'm the third owner), neither of which have any emissions testing requirements. I think this is my hangup, as I have no prior emissions test results as a baseline.

Good info on DEQ, thanks!! I also appreciate the welcome. I love it here! Is there an active LC club in the valley, or active Facebook group?

- Randy

Actually it's just phx and tuc, everyone else in the state is off the hook.

A note on the free gas cap thing - they will only give you one if you trade them for your old cap. I wanted to keep my original when it “failed”. The guy said he couldn’t do that per the rules. He did happen to forget that he handed it back to me already though. The stant cap they gave did not seal, so I put the original back on after a half tank of fuel evaporated. The next 3-4 years the original cap passed the test just fine.

Your ScanGauge may be showing pending codes that aren't reported from the ECU. In that case, I'd just take it in and have it tested. I always shoot for mid-week and mid-month, trying for morning testing times. This way, you avoid some of the wait which occurs when people take it in just before registration expires.

You might want to remove the ScanGauge from your dash for the test, especially if it plugs into your OBD2 port, as this might raise an eyebrow from the inspectors, if they don't know what it's for and you have to start explaining.

Best case, you test just fine, get a passing grade, and can then register using the online website; Vehicle Registration | Department of Transportation - https://azdot.gov/mvd/services/vehicle-services/vehicle-registration

One less thing to worry about as you get settled in The Great State of Arizona.

Our club (*this club house) is Copper State Cruisers, and we meet monthly, usually have Run Of The Month during cooler months, and routinely get together on the trails. I've never met a nicer group of guys to 4×4 with, and we welcome all new members. Take care, and good luck!

I always shoot for mid-week and mid-month, trying for morning testing times. This way, you avoid some of the wait which occurs when people take it in just before registration expires.

You might want to remove the ScanGauge from your dash for the test, especially if it plugs into your OBD2 port, as this might raise an eyebrow from the inspectors, if they don't know what it's for and you have to start explaining.

FWIW, registrations expire mid-month for about 50% of the vehicles, but certainly mid-week and early in the day are typically the best times to go. Also, they don't care about ScanGauges being in the vehicle, as long as the OBD port isn't in use, so you can simply unplug it. They probably won't even notice it, as long as it isn't blocking the view of the CEL. Although I did have a guy quiz me on my HAM call letters when he spied my handheld... :hillbilly:

All good information, thanks everyone! I'm definitely interested in joining the gang, err....club. I'll keep tabs on this forum looking for meetup info and trips, etc.

I also appreciate the warm welcome!

Randy

just in terms of what to expect: they test the seal of the gas tank cap, and they sniff at idle, while they also hook to your OBDII port (so better don't have anything connected there) - costs $20 or less

more generally:

it is my experience from more than 30 years (combined between all 3 of our cruisers) that a fail is more likely if the engine isn't sufficiently warm - so when one of our 80 series trucks has to go in for emissions, we drive them for at least 30 minutes or more

today, our 80 went from Fountain Hills to Sunflower for warm-up, then down to the Mesa emissions station - and passed :bounce: - the only downside was that the A/C died while in line at the emissions station :mad: (granted, we knew the A/C was on the fritz, but the timing was bad)

the website had listed the wait time at 5 minutes when the 80 left for the warm-up drive, but by the time it arrived at the station, the line took over 50 minutes wait time :bang:

the drive home to Fountain Hills without A/C was not so cool - literally :lol:

Last edited:
my routine for the 40 emissions testing goes like this:

drive from Fountain Hills to McDowell Mountain Park, and then to the Scottsdale emissions station - by that time, the engine temperature is nicely warm, which adds to the fun of the whole experience if there is also a wait line :rolleyes:

if the 40 doesn't pass then, I bring it to a shop in Mesa that tunes it up according to their machine readings, but they just don't have enough guys to run through emissions - so I pick it up there, and drive to the Mesa station myself

the worst part is to have to watch and hear the tester grind through the manual gears :eek: - sometimes I even have to wait until a tester becomes available who knows how to operate a stick shift anymore :rolleyes:

Odd, no one has gone the classic route?
no, I didn't, because the insurance regulations wouldn't let me wheel any of our cruisers

When I was shopping around for classic insurance quite a few of them had severe restrictions on what I could and could not do. Interestingly enough State Farm has a collectable insurance that has no restrictions in terms of use. No restriction to garage only, no restrictions only to drive to and from car shows. Interestingly enough the cost of our policy for the vehicle actually went down as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom