LJ70 Registration/Emissions AZ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am being told that my 1988 Euro LJ70 LX Turbo diesel will not pass Arizona emissions and cannot be registered as a result. Do any of you Arizonans have any input on this subject? No sense sending one over from Europe if it can't be registered. I must admit I have not seen many older series 70s in Phoenix when I visited. Cheers.

I am being told that my 1988 Euro LJ70 LX Turbo diesel will not pass Arizona emissions and cannot be registered as a result. Do any of you Arizonans have any input on this subject? No sense sending one over from Europe if it can't be registered. I must admit I have not seen many older series 70s in Phoenix when I visited. Cheers.
YOu can look into classic and collectibles registration, or look to register it outside of Pima and Maricopa county. I have a Cummins swap in process on one of my 80s and I will be registering it out of state.

Thanks. So it seems this LC could be registered as a "Historic Vehicle" as long as it is insured by a Collectors insurance policy like a Hagerty, and not have emissions testing requirements. Sounds like a good option.

Thanks. So it seems this LC could be registered as a "Historic Vehicle" as long as it is insured by a Collectors insurance policy like a Hagerty, and not have emissions testing requirements. Sounds like a good option.

I’ve gone this route a couple of times. Went with Hagerty and went to a 3rd party MVD with proof of insurance. No issue at all.

EZ Title and Registration in Scottsdale had me in and out in 5 minutes.

I’ve gone this route a couple of times. Went with Hagerty and went to a 3rd party MVD with proof of insurance. No issue at all.

EZ Title and Registration in Scottsdale had me in and out in 5 minutes.
What did you do about the emissions requirement? I have the HV Plates, and Collector Vehicle Insurance but am required to hit emissions currently in order to even bring my reg current. Are you saying you skipped the Emissions and walked into the 3rd Party Reg site and just paid for your tags? Which site did you use? Was it the one in the Scottsdale Airpark b y chance?

Thanks in advance.

Yes if you already have "classic insurance" you can state so at registration (either at MVD or 3rd Party) and then there will be no emissions requirement. I'm not a fan of classic insurance if it can be avoided, from my experience there are too many limitations placed for any valid coverage. I know some others have reported differently.

Note that historic tags and classic registration are 2 different things and not tied to each other. You can have one without the other. Right now I have historic tags on my 62, but regular insurance. @DTSkyCop this is what you're running into, you need to request classic registration... but read on...

Also note... you need to have the classic insurance FIRST before you attempt to register as classic registration / emission exempt - otherwise emissions will be required.

When I bought my 62 I didn't know if it would pass Maricopa emissions, so I got classic insurance, told the DMV, and got the classic registration. At that time I got regular tags on it. A year or two later I got historic tags just because I wanted them. another year later or so I decided to see if the 3FE would pass emissions, and it did, so then I changed to normal registration & insurance, and dropped the classic insurance. But my historic tag is still valid.

With the collector car insurance and historic vehicle tag, emissions isn’t required. I simply got the insurance ahead of time, went into the 3rd party place, told them what I wanted and it was all done fairly quickly. Here’s the place I went to:

I’ve had Hagerty a few times and just decided to stick with them. I’ve never had to file a claim so not sure how great they are to work with on that, but I haven’t heard any horror stories. I have my 40 insured for $20k and it’s $48 a month.

Hagerty does have some restrictions, so you may want to look into them. I don’t think it’s anything absurd though.

Here’s some more info on the AZ emissions exemption:

Haggerty (and possibly other collector car insurance companies) requires you to have at least one other registered vehicle - they want to be sure you're not using your collectable as your daily driver - and you have to provide proof that you keep it in an enclosed space.

State Farm has a collector's insurance as well, and there was no restrictions on driving/garage/other car that I can remember. What I do remember is you need to take some pictures just so they can confirm that it has a motor and it exists.

I have hagerdy on my 77 fj40. It’s in conjunction with my regular insurance (progressive) I get a break on it. So far it’s been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom