New 79 40 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think 76 was the last year for smog in CA. my goal isn’t to get the smog system back 100% original or working just enough to pass the visual check. Unfortunately with a title transfer I have to pass smog before I can get plates and reg. otherwise yes I would just start the diesel swap.

Good luck. Nothing to add but this is why i just got a 75.

Mine has an engine from a 78 with smog stuff still on it. Not sure if it works but I'll get pics if you think it'll help

I was thinking perhaps you could transfer title as a non-op, apply for a non-op license/title in your name, do the diesel swap, then be exempt from smog since it's a diesel (claiming you bought it that way ???). I've been out of this for quite some time, so not sure what you can get away with, just trying to steer you into some possibilities ???

I don’t even think you can convert to a diesel title anymore? Cali is getting super strict with all smog control. My duramax failed recently with no check engine light on and all monitors set. It has a soft code stored and now cali will not pass it, even though everything is good. Tech said they just started doing this recently and he didn’t even know why it wouldn’t pass!!! I continue to hate the smog program in California, I will never by a spaghetti smog controlled Fj40 from 76 thru 83 here in Cali, just a big headache every two years!

Yeah I am hoping it doesnt turn into something like that. It should fall into the pre '92 diesel smog rules so as long as all of the paper work goes through it should never need to be smog checked. I have seen people go through the dmv statement of facts route with relative ease. Passing the initial smog will be the first challenge.

here are some quick pics without pulling air cleaner After looking at some "smog diagrams" some of the vacuum hoses and VSV's ( vacuum switching valves ) will be fairly different for your 79 As you get closer you can ask for specifics there is a digital emissions manual on here for 79 i believe View attachment 2151608View attachment 2151607View attachment 2151609

I got an air cleaner assembly, when you have time can you get a picture of the mounting of the non-carb side. That would be helpful!

I will send you a pic this afternoon but it is pretty simple. Two bolts attach to side of head. Two bolts attach to valve cover. Pics after noon PST today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom