New 79 40 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lots of lurking on this forum I finally decided I needed another project.
I spent a decent amount of time trying to calibrate myself to the fj community in terms of relative costs and value of trucks in different stages of completion.
I wanted something which was CA smog exempt however future plans might mitigate that...

I initially went to see this truck because it was local and in my price range. when I saw it in person it looked rough and I immediately knew it would take alot of work.
I ended up walking away from the deal because the asking price was way too much. I kept looking and didnt see anything coming up here or CL. I wanted something that didnt have a v8 but wasnt super restored which would bump it out of my price range.

I notice that the truck was still listed and against my better judgement messaged the seller again trying to strike a deal. A little later and some back and forth we settled on a price.

I used a lot of knowledge from this site to help back up my offer so cheers to that!

the basics:
-Original 2F not running/starting, turns over though
-Clutch master/slave not disengaging clutch, need to figure out if it is a bleeding issue or seals.
-Soft brakes, no pedal feel. quick look under the truck found some pinched/cut hard lines
-No intake
-Wiring is a mess
-Front drive shaft is disconnected. the output from the tcase looks like it potentially broke the spline? hard to tell.
-Lots of rust, BAD rust, almost every body panel, fenders, doors, floor, quarters, ambi doors....
-interior is in decent shape

The end goal for this truck is mostly to be a trail rig. Reliability/capability is what I am looking for. I still want to be able to drive to the trails so needs to be relatively street-able but willing to tolerate decrease street performance.

Converting to a diesel is the main project of the truck besides just getting it driving.
Ever since seeing a group of 40 and 60 series diesel toyotas out-wheel everything of the trial I was hooked..

Based on research I have done the 2H would be my first pick along with a mild turbo setup to keep the reliability there while not being too gutless.
second pick would be the 12HT but potentially less plug and play then the 2H but easier to find?

For now I need to get what I have running and unfortunately pass smog.... once that is done I can do the DMV statement of fact and get the CA diesel reg.

IMG_6870.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_6891.JPG
IMG_7047.JPG
IMG_7049.JPG

Last edited:
Well, you have your work cut out for you. Nice find and soon a labor of love.

Welcome to mud.

Welcome! I have an 11/79 in color 416 that I hope to rebuild some day. You are going to love it!

From the looks of things under that hood you have your work cut out for you getting that to pass smog in California. I am the original owner of my 77 with all smog equip intact. I pass every time but it keeps getting more difficult. My last test had to be done at a "Star" station because my vehicle fits " High Emitter Profile". Again my rigged has never failed a smog test--- how does it have a "High Emitter Profile" if it has never failed a smog test!! California can be a crazy place to live!

From the looks of things under that hood you have your work cut out for you getting that to pass smog in California. I am the original owner of my 77 with all smog equip intact. I pass every time but it keeps getting more difficult. My last test had to be done at a "Star" station because my vehicle fits " High Emitter Profile". Again my rigged has never failed a smog test--- how does it have a "High Emitter Profile" if it has never failed a smog test!! California can be a crazy place to live!

Yeah there will be some work involved in sorting everything out. Do you by chance have any pics of your engine specifically smog stuff so I can start to figure out where things are supposed to go.
I also need to rebuild the carb so if you’ve got any pics of what a correct running one looks like I would appreciate it!

Last edited:
Welcome to MUD and the happiness that comes from driving a 40. Your truck looks much better than some I have seen and the price was very fair. Good luck, ask plenty of questions, the knowledge base and helpfulness here is almost limitless, this crowd loves photos and can help to diagnose photos from those photos and make a build book so you can see just how far you have managed to progress.

Yes I can get you pics. My 77 stuff will be a little different but should get you started. Man I hope my post did not discourage you. I just wanted you to be aware of the issues you are likely facing. Work in the carrot business and this is a very busy time. Pics will be coming Saturday.

Welcome to the fray.

Yes I can get you pics. My 77 stuff will be a little different but should get you started. Man I hope my post did not discourage you. I just wanted you to be aware of the issues you are likely facing. Work in the carrot business and this is a very busy time. Pics will be coming Saturday.

Thanks, no worries its a project and I knew that gong into it. I am hoping I can find somewhat of a more lenient smog tech. It doesnt need to be 100% perfect, just good enough to pass for tags and initial driving to baseline the truck. Then the 2h will begin.

not too many know that the square bezel can go upside down as well.... very hard to adjust the vertical on the headlights lol

I remember having to check headlight alignment during inspections... we had the specific spot on the garage door to aim on... just make sure the door is all the way down when doing it :) ... one of those things they do not bother with these days

here are some quick pics without pulling air cleaner After looking at some "smog diagrams" some of the vacuum hoses and VSV's ( vacuum switching valves ) will be fairly different for your 79 As you get closer you can ask for specifics there is a digital emissions manual on here for 79 i believe
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG

here are some quick pics without pulling air cleaner After looking at some "smog diagrams" some of the vacuum hoses and VSV's ( vacuum switching valves ) will be fairly different for your 79 As you get closer you can ask for specifics there is a digital emissions manual on here for 79 i believe View attachment 2151608View attachment 2151607View attachment 2151609
Thanks that will be useful to reference.

Can anyone confirm an air cleaner from a 60 would fit on the 40?

I have no idea how much smog equipment you are missing, or how much you'll pay trying to find missing pieces. Also, when you do find the missing pieces (or pieces you already have) most of it quit working many years ago, so still may not pass emissions test in Cali. Does Cali have a provision for saying you bought it with the diesel in it ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom