New 460 owner with a safety message. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a new 2023 460 a week ago. Part of my negotiations was for the dealer to include the class 4 hitch and I would install. I wanted to crawl around underneath the truck and put my peepers on all the new.

Safety message: the OE bracket for the trailer lighting plug can be very sharp. I barely bumped this thing when loosening the bracket cover bolts and almost took most of my pinky knuckle off. The rest of the install went off without a hitch. 😅
Ive never worked on anything so shiny and new.

received_1435888536976416.jpeg

20231202_171730.jpg

No matter the job, I can’t seem to swing a wrench while working on vehicles without skinning my hands. Watch for the brake rotor guard, gave me 3 stitches to the back of the hand.
Good luck with that brand spankers!

That's me. If I didn't cut myself or bleed while working on something I failed. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: r2m
Ouch😔 sorry to hear that.
Ever heard of things called work glove?
handshake-secret-handshake.gif
With thick gloves, one loses the tactile feeling when needing to thread nuts and bolts, and the latex gloves only keep the grease and oil from getting under the fingernails.
I just bare hand it and use Dawn dish washing detergent when I'm done. Works amazing for cutting grease and oil.

Quite a cut! Did you get stitches? I had to get 3 in my thumb about a month ago after a deer season related incident. It's amazing how much a finger injury can hurt (and bleed!).

Regarding gloves - I've been using Gorilla Grip gloves for years now and they are awesome. They are always on my hands while wrenching unless I'm doing something with a lot of fluids (in that case I wear 5 mil nitriles) or electrical work (no gloves). They provide enough dexterity for 98% of wrenching tasks and provide at least some protection from cuts. However they aren't thick enough to fend off a grinding wheel :).
Amazon product ASIN B07HB24VFZ

Well the good thing is you're from Kantucke so you know to just rub a little dirt in it and you'll be fine!

I did not get stitches. I wrapped it up, finished the hitch install, and then used some superglue and baking soda to secure the flap. I wasnt in the mood to sit for 3 hours at the ER and get a $1500 bill. I probably would have hit my deductible with this one, but it's December.

I did not get stitches. I wrapped it up, finished the hitch install, and then used some superglue and baking soda to secure the flap. I wasnt in the mood to sit for 3 hours at the ER and get a $1500 bill. I probably would have hit my deductible with this one, but it's December.

Not to worry, once you get older somehow that deductible maximum seems to come around June-July. Out of pocket max not long after that.

Glad the rest of the install went without a hitch 😅 Must have been a good visual for you under the new rig. My first thought looking at the undercarriage on mine even though I bought used was "stout". Well except for what they want to call skid plates. Don't tap on them with your knuckles to check the thickness, at least with that hand!

Consider it a badge of honor for saving yourself money by diy install.

• Haha
Reactions: r2m
Yup. When I have something like that happen to me, I usually spread it open to see if there's anything white, e.g. bone, tendons, ligaments, or if it's too big to glue, if so, get some stitches and if not, just use some cyanoacrylate glue, A.K.A. Super Glue and call it done. It's especially handy for fingers because you don't have a big 'ol band-aid messing with your dexterity, fine motor movements or typing, all of which I need in my profession.
For those who don't know, cyanoacrylates works great and were first used by the military for field wounds.
A few notes about it:
  • It does not sting when applying. A biggie for kids. BUT do make sure the wound is clean!!
  • You don't have to have the expensive medical grade they sell, just off the shelf from your local hardware store is fine. I prefer Loctite just because that's also what I use in all my R&D projects so it's always handy. I may get kickback on this comment, but that's all I've ever used for over 30 years.
  • To accelerate drying of cynoacrylates, warm moisture. You can even run it under warm water to dry it quicker.
  • It will last on the wound for a few days, enough to get some good healing underneath. When the old glue wears off, you can apply more or just let it scab.
  • The wound has to be dry from blood long enough for the glue to set.
One caution, some people can be allergic to cyanoacrylates. You don't need to apply it to know, you'll know if you are by just being around the fumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom