New 2011 GX Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up this project from my neighbor for a great deal.
2011 GX460 Premium with 254k miles. Front driveshaft u-joint failed. No CEL or engine issues.

Seems it was pretty neglected on maintenance with nothing other than fluid changes, tires, brake pads. Everything else is original.
I think the front/rear diff fluid were changed, but do not think the transmission has ever been opened.
Spark plugs were original Denso Japan with the dot on top. Some looked worse than others but honestly not as bad as I expected at the mileage.

I worked on it over the past 8 weeks, mostly waiting for Amayama parts.

Wanted to add a specific comment for HID bulbs. I was skeptical but read they dim over time, and the low beams seemed very dim. Original Harrison Japan bulbs were installed. Ordered Osram 66440XNN Night Breaker Laser (on sale at HID Concept) and WOW am I impressed. Way brighter and the color temperature is perfect, has that HID look and is not too warm.
The old lights were so dim I did not realize this car has "steering" lights.

At this point it seems to ride and drive "like new" (have a rental 2020 right now that honestly feels slightly more worn). I am beyond impressed by the vehicle and never would have bought one had a project not come up. It is so easy to work on and is very high quality with felt on many interior panels, lots of noise damping material.

Very minor front timing cover leak and no valley plate or cam tower leaks thus far.

So far what I've done:
- Buy used driveshaft, change one yoke. Spicer felt like junk, stuck with OEM. Straighten the bent heat shield from when the old driveshaft came loose!
- Change spark plugs. I regret using Denso USA plugs and should have chose NGK Japan. They looked low quality with the electrode pad off center, etc.
- Change trans filter and gasket, and 12 quart fluid exchange with Idemitsu TLS-LV.
- New front OEM struts
- All new front and rear OEM swaybar bushings
- Changed coolant
- New OEM thermostat
- New OEM belt and tensioner + Aisin fan bracket. Aisin FBT015 fan bracket matches OEM, and wow that bearing was shot!
- Changed brake fluid
- Changed front, rear diff fluid
- Changed transfer case fluid (it was 1 quart low!)
- New engine, cabin filter
- New HID bulbs
- Adjust parking brake (was not engaging at all)
- Extract broken skid plate bolts, and replace other missing fasteners along plastic trim to front skid plate
- Full outside detailing with Korrosol iron remover
- Full interior cleaning. Removed pretty much all trim and cleaned the carpet. Soaked and pressure washed front seat belts, feel like new now!
- Replaced only two burned out light bulbs on the exterior
- Fixed broken (pushed in) volume knob
- Techstream customizations
- Full engine bay pressure wash, including radiator and condenser which were VERY packed with dirt/debris.
- New tires. I just saw a post here with 17" 4Runner wheels and regret not swapping to those, looks fantastic.

Only things left?
- Considering a new radiator
- Considering overhauling the alternator
- Toshiba HIR1 high beam bulbs on the way

A few photos along the way:
PXL_20240317_164232389.jpg

PXL_20240317_043954323.jpg

PXL_20240125_204029154.jpg
PXL_20240126_023931241.jpg

PXL_20240123_061844501.jpg

Thanks Roody. It did look pretty rough, both inside and out. Now the paint has a fantastic shine and the inside is clean. No more terrible belt drive squeak at start up, suspension clunk and bounciness, and so on.

Enjoy driving it so much that I decided to keep the car.

Thanks Roody. It did look pretty rough, both inside and out. Now the paint has a fantastic shine and the inside is clean. No more terrible belt drive squeak at start up, suspension clunk and bounciness, and so on.

Enjoy driving it so much that I decided to keep the car.
Welcome to the forum!
I bet the previous owner wishes he didn't sell it now! Although all the work you did, if done by mechanics would probably be near what you paid for it.
Since you decided upon keeping it, any plans for mods yet?

Welcome fellow Idahoan! Your GX looks clean! With all that service and maintenance your GX will go on for hundred of thousands more miles.

Cheers!

Hope I'm not in the wrong place with that position :)
Nope, you're in the right place. There's lots of other info here other than mods for off road, especially if you're a hands-on type person that likes to do repairs, service and maintenance yourself.
Also tips for replacement parts, either similar or as good as/better than OEM and places that that offer better pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom