New GX Owner... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now I'm not new to IH8MUD of course, but I have my first foray into the Prado platform with my 2013 GX 460, 33k on the clock and it's already in the shop! (for the exploding airbag recall as well as the secondary air campaign). I can't do a lot of modding due to my extended warranty... but I am thinking about putting some winter tires on it, debating fitting FJ Cruiser black steelies for the winter rubber.

GX460.jpg

Just wanted to add... my initial complaint is about the location of the door handle, right in the way of those window switches...
The Lexus dealership gave me a TX as a loaner. Much better door layout and tech, although the new shifter takes a little to get used to. Push P to park.

Considering the model year, low mileage and age of recalls that have not been performed…assume someone in their elder years and forgotten in their garage.

SAIP recall in current rev status dates to 2019 and SRS to 2017 depending on region of country vehicle was originally sold in.

Used OEM wheel sets are out there for cheap and possibly same price as new black steelies… I run X-Ice now, Blizzaks on my other cars but want to try Nokian Hakkapeliitta next time on my 460

Last edited:
Considering the model year, low mileage and age of recalls that have not been performed…assume someone in their elder years and forgotten in their garage.

SAIP recall in current rev status dates to 2019 and SRS to 2017 depending on region of country vehicle was originally sold in.

Used OEM wheel sets are out there for cheap and possibly same price as new black steelies… I run X-Ice now, Blizzaks on my other cars but want to try Nokian Hakkapeliitta next time on my 460
I actually got a pic of the old title. Owned by a millionaire from Florida. There is zero maintenance history, so it's possible the oil was never changed. I am sure the dealer will figure out. I was looking at FJ wheels so I could have a smaller wheel and more sidewall.... still haven't decided on going with those or OEM size. I am looking at the X-Ice too.

Congrats on your GX! :cheers:
Even wealthy people take care of their vehicles so I can't imagine never getting serviced.
Do you have any plans for it, post warranty? Just a capable daily driver, trailing, serious off roader??

Although not new to MUD, but new to this forum, when you get a chance, take a look at the sticky posts at the top of the GX forum page for some very helpful tips and information that new folks often ask about in new posts but can be found in those sticky posts.

To your point about the door ergonomics, I have kind of an issue with the window switches. I can't count how many times I hit the rear door window switches when I want the front windows.

Wishing the best with your GX and welcome to the group!

Last edited:
Thanks. At the minimum I'd like to install the crawl control and multi terrain select. I don't think I'm going to be doing the Rubicon Trail, so probably not much else after that. Who knows?

Thanks. At the minimum I'd like to install the crawl control and multi terrain select. I don't think I'm going to be doing the Rubicon Trail, so probably not much else after that. Who knows?
Just a suggestion, but maybe a small lift and slightly larger tires. Going up a size or two will get your speedometer to be correct. The stock tires read the speedo a little on the high side out of the factory. This is done so costumers that like to do a couple over the posted MPH, their actual speed will be spot on.
Maybe also trim the from lower lip and rear bumper and add rock sliders. Trimming the front and rear bumpers will greatly increase your approach and departure angle in even slight, easy off road fire roads.
The rock sliders, and you can get some that look close to the factory steps, WILL protect you and/or your vehicle in case of a side impact collision. Ask me how I know.... They also help on the trail too!
These are minor mod's that aren't too costly, provide better protection, prevent damage and will give it a little more aggressive look, not so much like a soccer mom taking her kids to violin practice.

Both are pretty easy to do. Installing the CC module is super easy, but you need to do the initialization procedure/zero point calibration via the OBDII port. MTS install takes a little longer since you have to remove and reinstall more interior panels, but it is a true plug and play with no initialization procedure.

I would also ditch the "highway touring" tires for some good all terrains in either 265/65/18 or 265/70/17 size depending whether you want to keep the stock wheels or downsize to 17 inch rims. You can still run dedicated snow tires in winter, though a lot of the 3psmf AT tires do quite well in winter weather so that may save you having to run 2 sets. An otherwise stock GX with good all terrains and the added bonus of MTS/CC will pretty confidently drive over any obstacle that isn't large enough to really crush any of the bodywork. Once you realize that, you will probably go down the same rabbit hole as the rest of us and start looking at lifts and sliders and bumpers and such. You've been warned.

And the mods start... I picked up some 4Runner wheels (the ones everyone else has apparently) and I'm planning to mount some new tires on it. I appreciate everyone suggestions for AT tires but I am probably going to mount all weather tires (Nokian WR G4 SUV) as an overwhelming majority of my driving is on highways.

Reactions: r2m
And the mods start... I picked up some 4Runner wheels (the ones everyone else has apparently) and I'm planning to mount some new tires on it. I appreciate everyone suggestions for AT tires but I am probably going to mount all weather tires (Nokian WR G4 SUV) as an overwhelming majority of my driving is on highways.
When you get them on, post some pic's! :bounce:

GX460.jpg

Ended up putting Blizzaks on it for the winter. I also just added the Beat Sonic carplay, Crawl Control and MTS, and the Crafted by Matt cupholder. The thing is, when I took the center console apart for the Beat Sonic install, it looked like there is more depth available under the cupholders. Anyone try making a deeper cupholder?

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the forum! :cheers:

The 17" 4runner / FJ wheels look great. I just got new tires on the OEM wheels or I would have switched!

The 17" 4runner / FJ wheels look great. I just got new tires on the OEM wheels or I would have switched!
Maybe see what you can get for your factory wheels with the new tires. See if you can find some cheap take-off wheels you like, then you wouldn't be out that much and also have what you really want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom