New 2011 LX570 issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from a reformed Jeep lifer. Just took arrival of my 2011 LX570, 111,000 miles, yesterday. The wife and I are excited to turn this into an Overlander.

I bought it over the internet from a Chevy dealer and have some concerns.

When I received it from the driver (Madison, NC to Sevierville, TN), I took the engine covers off and noticed pink on top of radiator. Now I know these have issues around this mileage so I refused delivery, and they agreed to reimburse me for repairs.

Today I crawled underneath and noticed a fair amount of fluid splattered underneath. I am hoping it is not a rear seal. Do these fail this early? Dipstick was not at full. Cost to repair?

I already have plans for front and rear bumpers, sliders, 17" wheels and tires, and a Phoenix PX6 Tesla style stereo. But I am hesitant if I am staring at multiple thousand dollar repair. I cleaned up the headlights with the 3M headlight kit.

I traded my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit and cash, but I have not actually signed ANY paperwork. I plan on speaking to my attorney Monday to see my options if the seal is the issue. Comments?

I look forward to participating in this forum. Jim

Welcome, Jim. Coolant up top is not uncommon. Also check for the very common crack in the radiator at the base of the data plate (you can find plenty on that here by searching for it). I've not seen anyone report rear main leaks. Good luck.

Could just be mess from an oil change, mine was pretty gross when I bought it but had no leaks. Just residual oil from poor oil change practices .

Rear main would be very very rare. The “cam tower” leak is somewhat common on these 5.7s though less so than the US built engines in the tundra. Also possible it’s the timing chain cover.. mine has this And has slowly been getting worse over the 50k I’ve owned it. Mostly on the drivers side, and it’ll be a very involved repair.

Why 2 Threads?

Why 2 Threads?

I was on my phone and it somehow did it twice and I cant figure out how to delete a thread. Sorry

I just got back from Lexus inspection and it is worse than initially thought. Rear main seal is leaking, radiator is leaking AND timing chain cover. They want $1910 for RMS, $2899 for timing chain and 1200 for radiator, plus 9.75% sales tax. So almost $7,000.

Now I have an indy mechanic that can do it for half. If I do it, I am going to replace water pump, all pulleys and tensioner, thermostat and serpentine belt. Anything else while it is apart?

Quite disappointed in this, as all I have read is how bullet proof these engines are.

I sent the dealership an email with quote and I am waiting on response.

I am sorry to hear that. Has the starter ever been replaced? It is labor intensive. At least a five hour billable hours.

I’m sorry to hear this. I have to know though - how can somebody buy a used car sight unseen/driven?

Seriously asking....?

I wouldn’t stress timing chain leak. I’ve got that and cam tower, I lose a negligible amount of oil. Just rust proofing.

So what’s the deal? Can you send it back?

Quite disappointed in this, as all I have read is how bullet proof these engines are.

This is why you need to know the history and eyeball it by someone if not you before you sign.

The previous owner(s) could have abused it or involved in a crash.

IMO, return the car. Not worth it.

Last edited:
Did you take at these leaks to see how severe they are. Maybe some of these leaks are just seeps and something you can hold off for a while. I would look at these leaks and see how bad they are first before I went and spend thousands of dollars.

RMS is almost unheard of. Valley leak happens but only a handful.. though I imagine more of these are in the works. Timing cover leak same (as I said I have this.)
This vehicle has all three.
I’d say this LX is a problem child and should be returned if possible.

This vehicle was serviced by Lexus fully through 94,000 with 60,000 and 90,000 Service intervals completed. I pulled all of the LEXUS service info from site, plus CARFAX. Nothing stands out. Not a spec of mud, nor rust as life was spent in GA and NC. I Facetimed dealer as he put it in 4 LO, locked transfer case, engaged Crawl Control, and used the AHC. All were perfect.

As someone stated earlier, an RMS leak is almost unheard of at this mileage. I could tell there was a radiator issue by the pictures and reading these forums. The Lexus Tech was not available to speak to yesterday after I picked it up, but I want to speak to him about the timing cover leak. The RMS is definitely leaking enough to replace. Surprisingly it is "only" about $950 to replace. I have had contact back and forth with the dealer and we are close to a compromise.

If I do the timing cover, I will replace water pump, pulleys and tensioner while it is disassembled. Anything else?

I have bought numerous vehicle online all over the country and have not had a single issue with them. I would assume that 100's are bought daily across the country. With this being a LEXUS/LC 200, my expectations were to have minimal issues.

Thank you for everyones responses. I look to get through this and quickly move on to front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, sliders, wheels and tires, and possibly the Phoenix PX6 13.6 Tesla style Nav radio.

As others have said, the only thing unexpected here is the rear main seal. It's a machine, it happens. Even if you got a minty LX with none of those active issues, you'll at a minimum have to address the radiator anyways if it's not previously addressed. It's not a matter of if, but when.

The other Achilles heal at this mileage is the starter. It will one day just stop working out of the blue. While they're in there addressing the radiator and water pump, is prime time to also take care of the starter.

You'll have a nicely baselined rig in no time!

If you plan to spend time away from civilization I'd consider starter. IF it goes, it will without warning, and getting the truck started requires minimum two people, jumper cables, and a very long screwdriver that most people don't keep in their tool kit.

That said.. most starters go far without issue. So if you will usually have a tow or help available, you may never need it and won't be in a bad situation if it does go out.

Unfortunately all of your other work won't really help with the starter job.

But the rest of your list is solid. Also consider thermostat since you'll have the pump out and the coolant drained.

I guess one more thing. Drain/refill coolant. No need to flush with water if yours is sludge/contamination free; doing so just makes it difficult to get it back up to full strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom