New 570 to build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from a reformed Jeep lifer. Just took arrival of my 2011 LX570, 111,000 miles, yesterday. The wife and I are excited to turn this into an Overlander.

I bought it over the internet from a Chevy dealer and have some concerns.

When I received it from the driver (Madison, NC to Sevierville, TN), I took the engine covers off and noticed pink on top of radiator. Now I know these have issues around this mileage so I refused delivery, and they agreed to reimburse me for repairs.

Today I crawled underneath and noticed a fair amount of fluid splattered underneath. I am hoping it is not a rear seal. Do these fail this early? Dipstick was not at full. Cost to repair?

I already have plans for front and rear bumpers, sliders, 17" wheels and tires, and a Phoenix PX6 Tesla style stereo. But I am hesitant if I am staring at multiple thousand dollar repair. I cleaned up the headlights with the 3M headlight kit.

I traded my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit and cash, but I have not actually signed ANY paperwork. I plan on speaking to my attorney Monday to see my options if the seal is the issue. Comments?

I look forward to participating in this forum.

20200606_121707.png

20200606_125842.png

20200606_094344.png

20200605_145750.png

Congrats.

Good catch on the radiator. Definitely the typical crack. Check under the water pump for pink crusty there too, radiator replacement time is a good opportunity to do water pump, serpentine, etc. "while you're in there".

Hard to say what the oil leak is from or cost to repair without more to go on. Could be as little as a ham handed person spilling oil while filling it up? I don't think rear main seals are a common thing on the 200.

That's what I am hoping. I will keep an eye on it and definitely replace the other stuff while it is out,

I would make a list of things they need to make good on before calling an attorney. See what they say. Always play nice first.

Keep pulling covers top and bottom, look for more stuff.

New radiator for sure. And that oil is dirty, which to me says is a leak, not a spill during a fill.

Although rare, I suspect a bad rear main seal or a bad pan casting based on location. See this thread for details.

I take it no PPI? Going to be limited if you purchased as-is...

Although rare, I suspect a bad rear main seal or a bad pan casting based on location. See this thread for details.

Thank you.

First off, congrats on the LX. I know it is not a great way to start, but I agree with KLF. Take a deep breath.

Take it to a mechanic you trust who can document all the things that need to be done. Decide what you are, and are not willing to live with.

The radiator is a wash. You would have needed to replace it anyways right around now. As CharlieS said, there is also a laundry list of other things that you should chalk up to "preventative maintenance". These are all recommended even if they are not bad yet.

Still, you may have expected the dealer to see the pink goo and fix it. On the other hand, considering what you now know, you may feel better that they didn't.

But you can always ask for them to pay for anything that is found. Make them say no before you engage a lawyer. Some dealers will do anything they can to avoid it, but in this economy, they may just pay for the repairs just so they don't have to bring the car back on the lot.

Whether you can force them to take it back if they refuse to repair it is another question, but see what they say first. And if they do, look at it this way. You managed to get all the likely issues out of the way before you ever really used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom