New 1FZ shortblock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same LOL. I'd use it a lot if it wasn't so old and tired. I'll stop ruining your short block thread. Enjoy the process!
Oh man it's all good, any ,80 conversation anywhere is good in my book.

I like the sunroof idea, I already have all kinds of parts for stuff I think will age out. Why not the sunroof too 🤣.

Everyime my wife gets in and it's nice out she opens it. I'm like.... Uhh... Mmmmm... Whatever 😂 last time she said "hey, why have it if you can't enjoy it" I thought s*** she's right 👍

Alright my short block is in. Am I reading the date code correct?

The dealership has called me off 3 times in a week starting "we don't have the people to load it". I'm scheduled for early next week, if they percist I'll barrow a friends utility trailer with ramp and I'll bring a dolly.

If the date code is February 14 2023 how did it make it from Japan to Northern California in a week?

Is there a date code on the actual block?

Now to look up adding my VIN to my new short block and my new head.

IMG_20230303_172627.jpg

In a previous post back in May of 2019 by @OGBeno

As you can see by the part number kanban, the delivery date from Toyota Industries to TMC in Japan was August 30, 2017. It was more than likely manufactured within 2-3 days previous to that date.

IMG_6176.JPG

In a previous post back in May of 2019 by @OGBeno

As you can see by the part number kanban, the delivery date from Toyota Industries to TMC in Japan was August 30, 2017. It was more than likely manufactured within 2-3 days previous to that date.

IMG_6176.JPG
Thanks, I saw that original post, it's one of the reasons I was following this thread.

Wow then that was fast. I figured it was going to take at least 12 weeks and then I got to call it showed up.

I want to say 3 weeks after I ordered it it showed up.

Thanks, I saw that original post, it's one of the reasons I was following this thread.

Wow then that was fast. I figured it was going to take at least 12 weeks and then I got to call it showed up.

I want to say 3 weeks after I ordered it it showed up.
To make sure it's of the highest quality, I think you should ship it to me. I will test it for 250k miles or 15 years and return it for your vehicle. :wrench:
Since you're an upstanding MUD member - I won't charge you anything💰
Your lucky day huh?:steer::meh:

To make sure it's of the highest quality, I think you should ship it to me. I will test it for 250k miles or 15 years and return it for your vehicle. :wrench:
Since you're an upstanding MUD member - I won't charge you anything💰
Your lucky day huh?:steer::meh:
Hahaha, that's great :hillbilly:

Alright my short block is in. Am I reading the date code correct?

The dealership has called me off 3 times in a week starting "we don't have the people to load it". I'm scheduled for early next week, if they percist I'll barrow a friends utility trailer with ramp and I'll bring a dolly.

If the date code is February 14 2023 how did it make it from Japan to Northern California in a week?

Is there a date code on the actual block?

Now to look up adding my VIN to my new short block and my new head.

View attachment 3263547

Upper left hand corner says “VOR”: Vehicle Off Road

Basically this is a “upgraded” sense of urgency to get you the part because the vehicle is not drivable.

Your dealer can indicate this when putting the part into what is called the “critical part order” category.

You always want to state that the truck is VOR.

Basically the only way to get parts fast through the US supply chain.

But, again, you need to talk to a human and you need to talk to one who knows what the call is and who gives a flying **** and knows what they are doing. Good luck with that these days in the US supply chain and dealer world.

Basically this is a “upgraded” sense of urgency to get you the part because the vehicle is not drivable.

Your dealer can indicate this when putting the part into what is called the “critical part order” category.

But, again, you need to talk to a human and you need to talk to one who knows what the call is and who gives a flying f*** and knows what they are doing. Good luck with that these days in the US supply chain and dealer world.
Thanks 🙏 Beno 🍻

There must have been one in transit or a spare one here in California because I was surprised it showed up 3 weeks after I ordered it.

I want to say my part guy kind of cares but I'm really not sure. I do know he's been doing Toyota parts for a long time.

With all the supply chain issues going on at the beginning of covid I just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting a short block during that period of time that like everything else could have an issue.

I like to also educate myself on when things are made and the specifics especially when it comes to working on my 80.

I didn’t even have that sticker on my box. My block had “10/17” written on it in sharpie on it and that’s about it. And it certainly didn’t have “VOR” on it as it took 8 months to get in.

I didn’t even have that sticker on my box. My block had “10/17” written on it in sharpie on it and that’s about it. And it certainly didn’t have “VOR” on it as it took 8 months to get in.
Yeah I was expecting a few months. I was super surprised when they called and said it was in.

Alright, I am in possession :hillbilly:

It smells like it has paraffin preservative on it or something. Does anyone know if there's some special thing I should do to preserve the block? Also, there seems to be some type of coating on the side do most people paint theirs?

Screenshot_20230306-132503.png

Screenshot_20230306-132432.png

Screenshot_20230306-132401.png

I was advised to make sure mine was well lubed and wrapped to prevent foreign object/debris from your block. I was also told to keep it a dry, climate controlled area with desiccants, but not sure how desiccants would help if the block isn’t in a sealed container. Anyway, I didn’t have to use the advice because I used mine immediately.

I was advised to make sure mine was well lubed and wrapped to prevent foreign object/debris from your block. I was also told to keep it a dry, climate controlled area with desiccants, but not sure how desiccants would help if the block isn’t in a sealed container. Anyway, I didn’t have to use the advice because I used mine immediately.
Thanks, I'll look to put a electric golden rod heater in the box to keep it dry inside.

Thanks, I'll look to put a electric golden rod heater in the box to keep it dry inside.
Not gonna lie; I had to look it up to see what you were talking about. I thought you were talking dirty to us, but I was wrong. Cool gadget.

Not gonna lie; I had to look it up to see what you were talking about. I thought you were talking dirty to us, but I was wrong. Cool gadget.
Hahaha

Oh that's funny :hillbilly:

My shop has pretty good temperature swings I keep one of those gun safe electric rods in my tool boxes I have a spare one I'll just put in the cardboard box.

I guess I should have elaborated a little more instead of just saying goldenrod 🤣🍻

But, again, you need to talk to a human and you need to talk to one who knows what the call is and who gives a flying f*** and knows what they are doing. Good luck with that these days in the US supply chain and dealer world.

Just left my dealership and the parts manager said he’s never heard of this. Go figure. All they said was backordered. Price wasn’t bad though.

Just left my dealership and the parts manager said he’s never heard of this. Go figure. All they said was backordered. Price wasn’t bad though.
We've been gently looking for a red fzj 80 for my wife I'm tempted to order another short block just to have it before they quit making them.

I'm concerned about the storage of the cast iron block I imagine I'll have it built within 6 months to a year but I'm exploring a few different options

Just left my dealership and the parts manager said he’s never heard of this.

That's embarrassing. Especially to someone that spent 37 years in new car dealer parts operations.

Amazoning commerce is working hard on eliminating the professionals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom