Needed: E-brake handle restoration suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Threads
I haven't been able to find a replacement in good condition, so I'd like to know if there is a way to restore my existing rubber to "like-new" condition. Here's what I have now...any suggestions?

e-brake handle.jpg

Mine is split right down the whole length of it, so not even worth restoring in my case. You can still get new OEM, P/N 46210-60041-01 for about $65 (little more after shipping).

Thanks Spook and MoaByte. I just painted a new gray dash with SEM brown and it came out great. I'm not sure what will happen when I try to sand the rubber, but it sure worth a try. Maybe coat it with an epoxy first? I was spooked (no pun intended) about buying the handle P/N above because they say it doesn't fit a 1988 FJ62. Doesn't seem like it should be any different from an FJ60, but what do I know?

Image 4-8-21 at 8.29 PM.jpg

Thanks Spook and MoaByte. I just painted a new gray dash with SEM brown and it came out great. I'm not sure what will happen when I try to sand the rubber, but it sure worth a try. Maybe coat it with an epoxy first? I was spooked (no pun intended) about buying the handle P/N above because they say it doesn't fit a 1988 FJ62. Doesn't seem like it should be any different from an FJ60, but what do I know?

View attachment 2639791
That's weird. I'm thinking of sewing some leather on mine as well as a matching steering wheel cover and chicken bar wrap. Maybe @ToyotaMatt will make us some billet aluminum is shiny black? 😉

70 series brake is still available new. I’ve heard it works but I haven’t done it personally.

I haven't been able to find a replacement in good condition, so I'd like to know if there is a way to restore my existing rubber to "like-new" condition. Here's what I have now...any suggestions?

View attachment 2639006

Shear LUCK i came across this ?

and NO Affiliation

That's weird. I'm thinking of sewing some leather on mine as well as a matching steering wheel cover and chicken bar wrap. Maybe @ToyotaMatt will make us some billet aluminum is shiny black? 😉
Yeah he needs to get on this (says the guy who's been meaning to call him for several weeks and still hasn't had the chance; ie me).....

Thanks for the Ebay lead Toyota Matt...that handle is better than mine, but still needs some work and puts me back in about the same place as before. I'll finish up the paint job on my air filter and tackle the handle next. Separate question...do you have a clearer picture of the wording on the air filter decal? I'm still on the mission to complete every decal for the FJ62. I really like the idea of having a leather cover, but that's way beyond my skill level. I suppose there's someone out there that does steering wheels that could do a good job, but I've got to stop the madness at some point.

IMG_7786.jpeg

I’m like 94.20% sure. This is your unicorn decal

But not 💯 %

If me dam close enough !

Pm me

Thanks

i also carry your needed larger usa disc. nla air box wing nut too ..fyi

D12F05A4-D310-47A8-A396-755C279F4C34.jpeg

I’m like 94.20% sure. This is your unicorn decal
I'm like 99.5% sure the decal is exactly it! Well done and thanks...PM sent.

Also, @Spook50 did have the correct part number for my FJ62. Other part sites (like Passport Toyota) show that P/N 46210-60041-01 fits my 1988 FJ62. Maybe a different color, but it is the same part otherwise. I think getting that part new and painting it SEM brown will be the preferred option for restoring that part.

@Bazz suggested the 70 series, and although it is close there are some differences that might require a bit of fab work...not sure. Wonder if anyone has experience installing that 70 series handle in a 60 series?

Thanks everyone....your help really makes a difference.

@ToyotaMatt here's the fuel door decal comparison to original. I can't seem to attach files to PM's so I've highjacked my own thread for this sidebar.

IMG_7789.jpeg

@ToyotaMatt here's the fuel door decal comparison to original. I can't seem to attach files to PM's so I've highjacked my own thread for this sidebar.

View attachment 2640212

i have seen variations in color in this decal many times ?

however i agree the next run needs to be more CANARY caution YELLOW

it shall be done , you will reverie a updated replacement at no cost in any way

give me time to make this happen

decals work is out sourced mostly and NOTHING FAST about it ever

Go brand new. It’s cheaper. I ordered this one, although, as I mentioned, I have yet to find out if it’s direct bolt on yet. Like @ToyotaMatt, 94.2% sure.

I agree...it shows up as NLA now at Partsouq, but appears to be available at Megazip and ToyotaPartsDeal. I've had bad luck with TPD...their site shows availability, but after I order I find out otherwise. I've never used Megazip.

I agree...it shows up as NLA now at Partsouq, but appears to be available at Megazip and ToyotaPartsDeal. I've had bad luck with TPD...their site shows availability, but after I order I find out otherwise. I've never used Megazip.
I tried to order through ToyotaPartsDeal and the order was cancelled this morning. Megazip sucks at taking your money and then canceling the order. 😡. Looks like it’s used, refurbished or maybe the 70 series will work.

I'm like 99.5% sure the decal is exactly it! Well done and thanks...PM sent.

Also, @Spook50 did have the correct part number for my FJ62. Other part sites (like Passport Toyota) show that P/N 46210-60041-01 fits my 1988 FJ62. Maybe a different color, but it is the same part otherwise. I think getting that part new and painting it SEM brown will be the preferred option for restoring that part.

@Bazz suggested the 70 series, and although it is close there are some differences that might require a bit of fab work...not sure. Wonder if anyone has experience installing that 70 series handle in a 60 series?

Thanks everyone....your help really makes a difference.
There’s no difference in the late 60/62 parking brake. They are interchangeable. May work for the early models but I’d have to dig around a bit to verify that. It’s been a while since I’ve worked on one

I own a 70 as well so I’m used to the overseas vendors.

Partsouq is by far the cheapest, and what they say they have is already in stock, and they ship extremely fast. Like, order a pizza and watch your Partsouq order show up before it.

MegaZip has a much wider selection, but it can take a while for them to source the part. I’ve yet to get a cancelled order if they show they can get it. I’d try megazip and see what they com up with. Worst case you get a refund and go used.

Thanks again all. I’ve also had great service from Partsouq...too bad they show this part NLA. I tried Toyota Parts Deal, but like @Scro my order was cancelled.

Just finished the air filter can so I’ll focus on the e-brake handle and let y’all know if I find a source.

Later, that elusive reserve tank cap. If I remember correctly, Doug DeLong thought a 1980 FJ40 cap fits?

4D7A7B7A-058C-4E4D-AD2E-649C9CE83021.jpeg

BF1B6009-01BD-4733-A4D4-242152F90380.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom