Need money spending advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know Michelins are not a tire that most people use for off roading, but I will say, they are surprisingly capable. I would keep those at least. If you have lockers, you can get away with a lot on Michelins.
Plus, if you're on the highway most of the time, you will appreciate how quiet they are.

Drive it how it stands right now. Then after your first couple trips, you're gonna start to see what the truck needs for your purposes.

If you're not gonna be hardcore wheeling just get a More Power Puller instead of a winch. Strong enough to get you unstuck and does not need a mount or bumper. Plus its less than the cost of a harbor freight winch.

Most of the other stuff is not needed except maybe sliders but again if not hardcore wheeling your stock running boards will take some abuse. I've drug my crusier over logs and rocks on those and while they did get pushed up and bent I never damaged the rocker panels. Eventually they got bad enough to warrant sliders.

I will recommend a 12v fridge though if you plan on exploring for days on end. It's a game changer compared to a traditional ice chest. Second battery is nice but not needed if you're mindful of the charging.

I still have your wheel bearing socket

i have to agree with just get out there and see what you need. do a few trips and see where the short falls or room for improvement might be. enjoy your self

I know it's not the question you asked but I well through it out there anyway. It's a proven fact that taking a few years off after college well hurt your career.
Just sayin ;) party on

Turbocharge it. Anyone that has one will agree.

I can see new stock height springs being nice. Get a better ride. Along with new shocks if they are old and bushings.

How many miles on your rig?

Head gasket is always something.

Other than that I would replace all the oils you can.

Last edited:
Having spent the last 3yrs touring the West and beyond in a fairly stock Gen1 Tacoma, I have to agree with just about everyone on here. You don't NEED anything on your truck, she's more than capable as-is. A decent set of tires (and a legit spare) are good if you plan on getting very far off road. I did White Rim and most of The Maze in my nearly-stock Taco and never needed sliders, armor, or a winch. And my Taco is way less capable than an 80.

I would recommend investing a little money is making your rig livable if you plan on doing a lot of backcountry routes and camping. Solar panel and charge controller (cheap ones from Amazon), a second battery (even a motorcycle battery works pretty good), and a cheap fridge. I beat the hell out of this one for 2yrs and it's still ticking. Not as brilliant as some of the high end models but at like 20% of the price it's works fine. Amazon product ASIN B073WYS3TR
PM me if you need any recommendations for living gear or not to be missed places. You're going to love it out there.

Having spent the last 3yrs touring the West and beyond in a fairly stock Gen1 Tacoma, I have to agree with just about everyone on here. You don't NEED anything on your truck, she's more than capable as-is. A decent set of tires (and a legit spare) are good if you plan on getting very far off road. I did White Rim and most of The Maze in my nearly-stock Taco and never needed sliders, armor, or a winch. And my Taco is way less capable than an 80.

I would recommend investing a little money is making your rig livable if you plan on doing a lot of backcountry routes and camping. Solar panel and charge controller (cheap ones from Amazon), a second battery (even a motorcycle battery works pretty good), and a cheap fridge. I beat the hell out of this one for 2yrs and it's still ticking. Not as brilliant as some of the high end models but at like 20% of the price it's works fine. Amazon product ASIN B073WYS3TR
PM me if you need any recommendations for living gear or not to be missed places. You're going to love it out there.
do share some of your gear, heck sounds interesting living out of a stock truck thanks

Drive like you stole it!

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I think you all said what my brain already kinda knew. When you come on this site almost every day for years and see all the cool sh!t people do, it's hard not to get caught up in it all and want to do similar stuff. I definitely agree with making the truck slightly more livable and having the necessary recovery equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom